Whenever I try to write music, (instrumentals) I always tend to go for the same strumming pattern or a similar riff pattern and I can never get myself around this. It always has that same sound which I need to break and try to explore different ways of making music. Makes sence right? Anyone have some helpful advice on this? Cheers,
try acid.

j/k. learn new music. push yourself to make different things and learn things that are challenging and fun to play.
Well Enough Alone
Last edited by guitardude11 at Dec 23, 2008,
Quote by guitardude11
try acid.

j/k. learn new music. push yourself to make different things and learn things that are challenging and fun to play.

People in this forum are uptight. They don't take kindly to spamming.

Anyway, a lot of people have this problem, and usually people suggest listening to different styles of music.

Edit: Sorry to the guy I quoted, I didn't see your edit.
One thing you could try is listening to the drums, and basing some strumming patterns off interesting beats that you hear.
Find out what techniques are really difficult for you and instead of avoiding them, focus on them. Picking patterns that are awkward, scales that are hard to memorize, chords that are hard to finger. Do whats uncomfortable and it will become comfortable and open new doors.
Quote by se012101
One thing you could try is listening to the drums, and basing some strumming patterns off interesting beats that you hear.

this really works listen to him
I find that having a full band really helps when writing. Everything sounds the same when its just you and your guitar. You end up following the same formula. With a band you can let the bass take the lead or the drums, and you don't have to be playing all the time so you can add more variety to the song.

Different textures can help you think of loads of ideas.
Are You Shpongled..?
Quote by guitardude11
try acid.

thats almost deep ha