I wanted a guitar to repilcate RHCP and i was reccomended anyone that have 3 coil pickups. They suggested the strat, does that mean every strat has 3 coil pickups, including the $600 model or only the more expensive ones?
...3-coil pickups? There's single-coils and humbuckers(dual-coils). Which one do you mean? ><

And yes, a strat is pretty much the most iconic and one of the best IMO SSS guitars, and all of them have an SSS config unless you buy an HSS, in which case its, well, HSS.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Dec 23, 2008,
most strats have 3 single coil pickups

some of them have 1 double and 2 singles

and very few have 2 doubles
so what exactly does a coil do? what would it sound like if i had a lot of coils as opposed to fewer coils?
Quote by eric crake
so what exactly does a coil do? what would it sound like if i had a lot of coils as opposed to fewer coils?

A coil is a row of six magnets and one of the earliest pickups, referred to commonly as a single-coil. Anyway, multiple coils cancels the cycle-60 hum one coil alone gives and and gives a different, often thicker sound, whether as two single-coils at once or a humbucker "dual-coil". This became popular by sticking paper in a 3ay switch an original 5's strat had, so they began giving them 5-way switches.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by eric crake

The two most popular kinds of pickups are Single Coil, and Humbucker. Single Coils have one coil, humbuckerse have two, right next to eachother.

Pickups either have one or two coils in them.

Single coils are popular on stratocasters. They generally have very punchy, trebly tone, and are renown for sounding great with pop, blues, and light leads, and they supply extremely unique tone you could not get with humbuckers. This quality comes with a price, however, as single coils have a 60hz hum. There are "noiseless" single coils, but the excessive shielding dulls out the tone, so they get a very bad reputation.

The funcion of Humbuckers is the cancellation of that 60hz hum with a second reverse-wound coil directly next to it... hence the name "Humbucker." Since they have so much more windings, they are generally associated with heavier music, thumpy bass and thick midrange.

Any standard Mexican Made Single Coil 450USD stratocaster would replicate the Red Hot Chilli Peppers.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Last edited by SlinkyBlue at Dec 23, 2008,
You could buy a Carvin Bolt or Carvin Bolt Kit. Both would be close to your price range, and definitely a solid guitar.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I know the Epiphones are only two coiled. But what you guys think about them and how does there sound compare to the fender strat? I found one for $850 witha sick design on the top