Hey guys, I'm wondering how a lot of hardcore/metal/deathcore/whateverthehellyouwanttocallit bands get such tight breakdowns.
Some of the bands I'm talking about are like August Burns Red or Misery Signals.. but for even tighter break downs like Born of Osiris or Veil of Maya
I'm using an ESP Eclipse II, a Traynor ycs100 amp, and a Mesa 4x12 straight cab
Just listen to the pattern in the Chugs with the Bass Drum.
The Faceless is a prime example, their breakdowns are tight because the Chugs go with the bass drum.
Peavey VTM
Marshall 8412
Fender 4x12 loaded with t75's
Epiphone LP-100
Fender Stratocaster Highway one
Yeah I realize that. Sorry my mistake I meant from a technical standpoint. What I need to know is how to get it sounding really tight tone wise. Some bands just seem to be able to make their breakdowns punch more than others.
Turn the bass and mids up a bit, and also what tuning do you play in? If you played in drop D or something, that'd explain it. Lower tuning = heavier, usually. I don't want any Opeth fanboys attacking me for saying that.
The tone of the amp would effect it alot.
Misery Signals uses 6505[+]'s and those have CRAZY gain and low-end,
so it gives them that really amazing breakdown tone.
They have one of the best metal tones I've ever heard.
yeah I'm playing in drop c. Not a fan of playing ridiculously low like A# or anything like that.
I'm considering selling my Traynor head and a Behringer cab I have to get the 6505+. Do you know what else those guys use in their rigs? I'm using a traynor ycs100 and I'm not really overly happy with it.
Breakdowns *yawn* they get old after the five millionth song with the same damn structure. Don't get me wrong, they sound awesome, but they're just not original any more.
The below is false.
The above is true.

*world implodes*
Quote by punkman_123
Breakdowns *yawn* they get old after the five millionth song with the same damn structure. Don't get me wrong, they sound awesome, but they're just not original any more.

+1
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Quote by punkman_123

Hell at this point what is original
Get an OD pedal.
It'll really help you out!
Or save up for an amp designed for modern metal.
Also make sure you mute the strings so they don't ring out between the chugs.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Also bare in mind they're usually heavily produced which accentuates the overall tightness of the records.
Quote by punkman_123

people have been doing things to change it up. like the two bands he listed: august burns red and born of osiris.
GEAR:
Schecter C-1 Plus (Emg 81/85)
ESP/LTD Viper 400
Bugera 6262 Head
Marshall 1960A Cab
Bad Monkey OD
ISP Decimator
get a closed back cabinet first and back off on the treble, your mids and bass should pop out
Ibanez RGA 8 (Dimarzio D Activator 8)->Rocktron Hush->Engl E530 preamp->Marshall 9200 poweramp->Marshall 4x12 closed back cab w/ G12t75's
An OD pedal to tighten your sound up and a noise gate to stop any unwanted noise. Your EQ plays a big part too, lots of gain and bass are what you want.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Hell at this point what is original

arabian post-artcore ukulele death metal.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
well, first of all, when you record you need to make sure everything is exactly on beat, almost robotic. I used to go through and look at the wave forms and move them around or retake if I saw they weren't precise with everything else.
Next, when EQing, you should probably drop around 400hz and boost around 5khz. That will make things sound pretty tight.
My band.
www.myspace.com/bransonny

My gear.
Marshall: JCM800 2205, 6100, 1960AV
H&K: Triamp MKII, Duotone
Mesa: Recto recording pre, 212
2 Avatar 412 (v30's)
Gibson: LP std, SG std, SG goth, SG spec
G&L ASAT classic
Martin DC-16GTE
to make the guitars more thick, make a duplicate and delay it 15ms (i believe, not sure since I'm not behind the protools currently) and pan the original hard to one side and the duplicate hard to the other.
My band.
www.myspace.com/bransonny

My gear.
Marshall: JCM800 2205, 6100, 1960AV
H&K: Triamp MKII, Duotone
Mesa: Recto recording pre, 212
2 Avatar 412 (v30's)
Gibson: LP std, SG std, SG goth, SG spec
G&L ASAT classic
Martin DC-16GTE
try an od and a compressor.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Not a big fan of hardcore breakdowns, but I would actually turn the bass down some and the mids up some. Say, keep your bass at just over half, mids a bit higher, and the treble straight up. Then adjust from there, adding a bit more bass or mids, or even lowering the mids some. You can also turn the gain down some to get a tighter sound. I like to turn everything straight up, then start turning the EQ knobs till I get the voicing I want, then turn the gain up until you get the punch and grind you want.

Also, an OD or EQ pedal (or even a line booster) should tighten your sound up too.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores