Ok im sure a lot of people know about this already but im really excited and just found another effect to add to my list of needed to play like evh for on panama in the bridge where he has that tone that is soft but when he digs in with the pick it is harsh and crunchy just as he does on a lot of other songs in the bridge(aint talkin bout love) anyway yeah i found that there is an effect that can make it easier supposively without going to the hastle of turning your volume down and all that jazz. It is called the dyna drive and it is a pedal by boss i would appreciate it if i could get anyone's opinion on the pedal: how it sounds, works, etc..... thanks
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Schecter Omen 6
Line 6 Spider III
Dunlop Classic Wah
MXR Phase 90
Eh. Any high quality overdrive pedal with a tube amp will do the same thing. With a SS amp like yours, don't bank on getting that kind of response from your amp. The dyna drive probably won't help much either.

Oh, and 'supposively'? Really? Learn to English.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by sygnates21
i found that there is an effect that can make it easier supposively without going to the hastle of turning your volume down and all that jazz.

What hassle? All you have to do is turn a knob... What other jazz? I wouldn't buy a pedal just to get a sound that EVH gets just by turning down his guitar's volume...
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by VoodooCow229
What hassle? All you have to do is turn a knob... What other jazz? I wouldn't buy a pedal just to get a sound that EVH gets just by turning down his guitar's volume...

exactly, its not that difficult and a heck of a lot cheaper than pedal
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Quote by sygnates21
Ok im sure a lot of people know about this already but im really excited and just found another effect to add to my list of needed to play like evh for on panama in the bridge where he has that tone that is soft but when he digs in with the pick it is harsh and crunchy just as he does on a lot of other songs in the bridge(aint talkin bout love) anyway yeah i found that there is an effect that can make it easier supposively without going to the hastle of turning your volume down and all that jazz. It is called the dyna drive and it is a pedal by boss i would appreciate it if i could get anyone's opinion on the pedal: how it sounds, works, etc..... thanks

It has nothing to do with turning your volume down. It all has to do with having a very dynamic amp. Amps like EVH's old super leads are extremely touch sensitive, and you can get a wide variety of tones just by varying your pick attack. You don't need to even touch your volume control.
ok thanks people i get it now i shouldve figured that, because eddie always talks about how fingers are the most important part of tone
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Schecter Omen 6
Line 6 Spider III
Dunlop Classic Wah
MXR Phase 90
Dude, you're not very good at this punctuation thing, are you?

Yes, it has to do with your pick attack, but once again, it's just as easy to turn down your volume knob.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
yeah got it thanks
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Schecter Omen 6
Line 6 Spider III
Dunlop Classic Wah
MXR Phase 90
That being said, as much as amps are stressed around here, pickups also matter. A lot.

High output pickups tend to be less touch sensitive compared to lower output pickups, they don't clean up as well with pick attack nor do they retain clarity when you roll off the volume on your guitar.
Quote by sygnates21

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Schecter Omen 6
Line 6 Spider III
Dunlop Classic Wah
MXR Phase 90

This just hurts my head.
GIBSON Les Paul STUDIO
SCHECTER omen 6

... and a Line 6 Spider III ?
Honestly, I see that you have a frowny face next to it. If you can afford those guitars, why haven't you bought a different amp yet? You're talking about playing Van Halen so you're obviously not a beginner, so you've obviously either had this thing a while or were dupped into buying it as an "upgrade". So what gives?

Sorry for going off topic there, I just couldn't get over that.
i see where your coming from and no problem i love questions about my gear haha yes it is very off for the style i like well the line 6 i got back in april 07 and ive hated it for a while haha very digital and the omen i bought with that which was about 300 bucks and the gibson les paul i got in april 08 for free with an evh amp i bought the full stack 5150 III but i hated that for evh has gotten to digital nowadays so i returned that and kept the free guitar those suckers didnt know it =) so yeah
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Schecter Omen 6
Line 6 Spider III
Dunlop Classic Wah
MXR Phase 90
Quote by _Sanitarium_
This just hurts my head.
GIBSON Les Paul STUDIO
SCHECTER omen 6

Honestly, I see that you have a frowny face next to it. If you can afford those guitars, why haven't you bought a different amp yet? You're talking about playing Van Halen so you're obviously not a beginner, so you've obviously either had this thing a while or were dupped into buying it as an "upgrade". So what gives?

For the first 3-4 years I played guitar, I played everything from Blink 182 to Paul Gilbert. What you want to play has nothing to do with how experienced you are.

Quote by sygnates21
i see where your coming from and no problem i love questions about my gear haha yes it is very off for the style i like well the line 6 i got back in april 07 and ive hated it for a while haha very digital and the omen i bought with that which was about 300 bucks and the gibson les paul i got in april 08 for free with an evh amp i bought the full stack 5150 III but i hated that for evh has gotten to digital nowadays so i returned that and kept the free guitar those suckers didnt know it =) so yeah

What didn't you like about the 5150 III? I actually thought it sounded pretty good and nailed the classic EVH brownsound better than 95% of the amps out on the market.
ummm... on that part all that eddie does is turn back the volume knob on his guitar. Although you have a spider, and when I try it on my spider it is not as responsive, it might not work as well for you. But when I use it on my EVJ with it cranked and using my OD pedal to give that extra van halen boost, it works great!

Quote by _Sanitarium_
This just hurts my head.
GIBSON Les Paul STUDIO
SCHECTER omen 6

Most Van Halen songs (not instrumentals like spanish fly) are pretty easy, except for some solos/fills. I don't really know why that alot of people are so intimidated by VH, its easier then alot of things.
"I wanna see movies of my dreams"
Last edited by guitarplaya322 at Dec 24, 2008,
Quote by sygnates21

Hmmm....BULL ****
wait bullshiit about what?
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Schecter Omen 6
Line 6 Spider III
Dunlop Classic Wah
MXR Phase 90
That you actually had the EVH III.

I'm in agreement with them, because you would have never returned it, had you actually gotten it.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
no i got it seriously it was a graduation present i didnt like it that much tbh i preferred the money for something else plus i couldve gotten a marshall for half the price(well the head) that wouldve been wayyyyy more satisfying to me
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Schecter Omen 6
Line 6 Spider III
Dunlop Classic Wah
MXR Phase 90
so you didn't like the EVH, but liked the spider III more?
Quote by Mister.Y
Well, The Lion Sleeps Tonight is still a bit popular... I mean, cmon...

awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe...

"I'll See You In The Next World, and Don't Be Late"
no ur not getting this i hate the spider but i had it before and i havent really gotten a new amp yet im saving money and keeping my options open
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Schecter Omen 6
Line 6 Spider III
Dunlop Classic Wah
MXR Phase 90
Quote by sygnates21
no i got it seriously it was a graduation present i didnt like it that much tbh i preferred the money for something else plus i couldve gotten a marshall for half the price(well the head) that wouldve been wayyyyy more satisfying to me

You mean a vintage JMP or JCM800 right? because the new marshalls suck compared to the old ones.
no yeah definitely im talking bout 1987 plexi head
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Schecter Omen 6
Line 6 Spider III
Dunlop Classic Wah
MXR Phase 90
I have a hard time believing that a store just threw in a free Gibson les paul with the purchase of an amp. I could see the knocking off a few hundred dollars maybe, but a $1300 guitar? For free?
Quote by sygnates21
no yeah definitely im talking bout 1987 plexi head

you mean 1978 right? they were making JCM800s in 1987, they were making plexis in the 70s
right it says plexi so im guessing its based after a plexi head? iono sorry haha
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Schecter Omen 6
Line 6 Spider III
Dunlop Classic Wah
MXR Phase 90
al1..... it was a memorial day sale and its the 900 one
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Schecter Omen 6
Line 6 Spider III
Dunlop Classic Wah
MXR Phase 90
Quote by Highwaytohell
you mean 1978 right? they were making JCM800s in 1987, they were making plexis in the 70s

Well technically, they were making plexis in the late 60s, by the 70s they were using the brushed aluminum metal panel amps. The 1987 is just the name of the model, much like the 1959 (the super lead) wasn't actually made in 1959, and likewise with the 1974 (18 watter). It's a little confusing, same with the JTM45 (it's not actually 45 watts actually closer to 30-35)