Well I decided to sell my Vox AD30VT finally (pm if interested). I've grown tired of it tonally and I want a tube amp that would do my SC some justice for practice. I am looking for a replacement amp for about $500 tops new/used. I'll use it mostly for home practice, band rehearsal and recording. So I'm looking for some recommendations to look around for of any 25w (or under) amp. I have been looking into the Orange Tiny Terror and it looks good atm. I play anything from blues to metal. My ideal tones to shoot for with this amp will be along the lines of bands like Fall of Troy, Coheed and Cambria, Secrets and Whispers, etc. A nice clean and good growl is important to me stock if possible but I don't mind using pedals to help supplement. So if anyone has any recommendations or want to further push the Orange TT let me know what you think. Thanks for you time everyone.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Member #2 of the Coheed and Cambria fanclub, PM dementedpuppy to join.
Nice man. Tiny Terror sounds perfect to you. I would go with a 2x12 Orange cab with it.

If you can't quite afford it, Blues Junior + Pedal gets close.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Quote by SlinkyBlue
Nice man. Tiny Terror sounds perfect to you. I would go with a 2x12 Orange cab with it.

If you can't quite afford it, Blues Junior + Pedal gets close.

I dunno if I can afford an Orange 2x12 at the same time but I would pick one up as soon as I can. Chances are I will just build a 1x12 cab until I can afford to a better 2x12 or parts for a better build.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Hmmm, Traynor YCV 20 or 40 for you it seems like. Used probably will put you under for 500 but new, you might have to look somewhere else. Very good amps, and will play coheed for sure, because they are one of my favorites to play on my amp.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
I owned a YCV50 last year and in general I have had a really great experience with Traynor. I've rarely seen any YCV20's around my area but if one pops up on craigslist or another outlet locally I'll be sure to give it a shot.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

yeah the ycv20 + an od would probably be good if you can get your hands on it
and just pointing out, i think the "For sale" in your sig is next to the wrong item and should be next to the valvetronix.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Quote by Robino_Ibanez
yeah the ycv20 + an od would probably be good if you can get your hands on it
and just pointing out, i think the "For sale" in your sig is next to the wrong item and should be next to the valvetronix.

Ah I was considering selling the SC awhile back and I never updated the sig. Thanks for the heads up mate.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Quote by OsirisProtocol
Ah I was considering selling the SC awhile back and I never updated the sig. Thanks for the heads up mate.

That PRS is gorgeous btw. The YCV20 would be good but likely you would need to mic it for cleans at band volume depending on what you consider "clean". Finding one used may be a bit tough. Since we are talking approx 20-25 watts, the H&K Edition Tube would also fit your requirements. Modern voiced whereas the Traynor is more classic, but it also would work for your playlist. Break up on the clean channel is about noon, which is pretty farking loud. Again though, you would have to find one used. A cheaper alternative that would require a pedal for the brootalz would be a old crate VC2110, 20 watts, classic voiced, they go for around $225-300 usually. Good luck, love that PRS, don't sell it.

Edit: Nothing against the TT, you said to throw options at you outside of that - it's a very good amp obviously if you end up that route.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Dec 23, 2008,
Quote by gregs1020
That PRS is gorgeous btw. The YCV20 would be good but likely you would need to mic it for cleans at band volume depending on what you consider "clean". Finding one used may be a bit tough. Since we are talking approx 20-25 watts, the H&K Edition Tube would also fit your requirements. Modern voiced whereas the Traynor is more classic, but it also would work for your playlist. Break up on the clean channel is about noon, which is pretty farking loud. Again though, you would have to find one used. A cheaper alternative that would require a pedal for the brootalz would be a old crate VC2110, 20 watts, classic voiced, they go for around $225-300 usually. Good luck, love that PRS, don't sell it.

Edit: Nothing against the TT, you said to throw options at you outside of that - it's a very good amp obviously if you end up that route.

Thanks for the compliment on the PRS mate. As for the YCV20 I wouldn't mind a slightly dirty clean at high volumes. I'll have a strat upstate (where I'll be using the amp) that'll help me retain cleans a bit more than the humbuckers in my SC if I ever need clearer cleans with the band at higher volumes. As for the H&K and Crate I haven't played them yet but from what I have read so far about them I might like them a lot. I'll have to keep an eye out to hunt down these amps used but any of them should be great once I give them a try. Thanks for the suggestions mate.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Quote by OsirisProtocol

Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
I got a hold of a YCV20 at a local shop yesterday to play. Gotta say I love it. I also played another Tiny Terror and I am smitten with that too. I'll see what happens.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem