Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, I've been feeling a lot of apprehension lately. First off, I am completely clueless as to what the conditions are really like in Iraq and Afghanistan right now. I have a close friend who is about to ship off in a couple of weeks to Afghanistan for 16 months and I am feeling more and more distraught over the possibility that he may not come home alive or in one piece.

I want to know what is it really like as a soldier there. Has the instability calmed down at all? What are the rates of death and serious injuries like? Anyone have any personal experience? Please help me out here with any information you can give.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Dec 23, 2008,
Quote by Xiaoxi
Hey guys, I've been feeling a lot of apprehension lately. First off, I am completely clueless as to what the conditions are really like in Iraq and Afghanistan right now. I have a close friend who is about to ship off in a couple of weeks to Afghanistan and I am feeling more and more distraught over the possibility that he may not come home alive or in one piece.

I want to know what is it really like as a soldier there. Has the instability calmed down at all? What are the rates of death and serious injuries like? Anyone have any personal experience? Please help me out here with any information you can give.

I have a friend that is a helicopter pilot over there. He's been there for a year so far. I haven't gotten to speak to him in a while, but from what I hear it isn't too bad over there.

A guy he knew did die though

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Quote by Necrophagist777
I have a friend that is a helicopter pilot over there. He's been there for a year so far. I haven't gotten to speak to him in a while, but from what I hear it isn't too bad over there.

A guy he knew did die though

Well, I bet every soldier knows at least one guy who died. It's just painful to think of the possibility that you or your friend is that guy.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Hey guys, I've been feeling a lot of apprehension lately. First off, I am completely clueless as to what the conditions are really like in Iraq and Afghanistan right now. I have a close friend who is about to ship off in a couple of weeks to Afghanistan for 16 months and I am feeling more and more distraught over the possibility that he may not come home alive or in one piece.

I've heard that the insurgency in Iraq has gone down but is getting worst in Afghanistan again

http://google.com the stats
Quote by Hakanku
I once went in to a public restroom and George Michael approached me for sex. True Story.
Well what's he doing there?
If he's flying a desk he'll be fine.Surgeon or something he should be fine.
Combat roles....well obviously the risks are higher,but he's still got a pretty decent chance of making it back.Just get him to bring you back some throwing shoes.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by hugh20
its a useless war/s anyway

Leave this thread and never return

It seems things are getting pretty bad in Afganistan now but I haven't heard of anything bad happening in Iraq for a while.
depends where in the countries you are, the helmand region is ahfganistan is said to be one of the most violent places to be stationed.

Just hope your friend doesn't fall victim to IEDs.

if he's going to Afghanistan, teach him this: Koskhor, it means fannylicker in censor friendly words :p.
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
Your mate should get control of an armed UAV and shoot someone with a hellfire
Apparently Afghanistan is getting worse and Iraq's getting better. I feel for anyone in either though
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
He's probably better off than a civilian living there.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by hugh20
its a useless war/s anyway

Irrelevant.

As far as I know, Iraq is becoming more stable, its infrastructure is being rebuilt steadily, and the only problem is the Iranian backed Militias in the south.

Afghanistan is hotting up again, Helmand is still chaos, and they say that we could be fighting there for another twenty years.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by freddaahh

Afghanistan is hotting up again, Helmand is still chaos, and they say that we could be fighting there for another twenty years.

You could be fighting there forever.
Afghanistan is impossible.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
You could be fighting there forever.
Afghanistan is impossible.

That's what the head of the British Army said recently, but we cannot leave, on any account, we shouldn't be there, but we've got to finish the job.

But, I wish America would stop blaming the British Army for the failures in Afghannistan, they don't seem to realise how small an army it is, and how poorly funded and overstretched the government has let it become.

That's one thing I truly hate about this governemnt, they send the army into a war nobody wanted them to fight, then they cut funding right from under their feet. Also, the other forces in Afghanistan could try and do some fighting, too, it seems like only Britain and America are.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Yes, either pull the troops out (not really fair or viable) or fund them properly and keep them there. The government shouldn't really try to do both. To be fair though they've got nightmare problems at home too though, so it's not exactly a piece of cake. Has the Taleban been completely ousted from Afghanistan now? I really no very little about that war.
Quote by freddaahh
That's what the head of the British Army said recently, but we cannot leave, on any account, we shouldn't be there, but we've got to finish the job.

But, I wish America would stop blaming the British Army for the failures in Afghannistan, they don't seem to realise how small an army it is, and how poorly funded and overstretched the government has let it become.

That's one thing I truly hate about this governemnt, they send the army into a war nobody wanted them to fight, then they cut funding right from under their feet. Also, the other forces in Afghanistan could try and do some fighting, too, it seems like only Britain and America are.

Most other countries have drawn back their soldiers and I doubt they want to go back in again.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
"There are more people killed in road accidents than there are in the war in afghanistan"
Straight from the mouth of army soldiers at a training camp i went to few weeks back
Quote by metal Lover
The thought of you humping her limp body is hilarious.

Quote by Tezza_Larks
"There are more people killed in road accidents than there are in the war in afghanistan"
Straight from the mouth of army soldiers at a training camp i went to few weeks back

What did you expect them to say? It's probably true, doesn't make the place any better.
Quote by Cal UK
Yes, either pull the troops out (not really fair or viable) or fund them properly and keep them there. The government shouldn't really try to do both. To be fair though they've got nightmare problems at home too though, so it's not exactly a piece of cake. Has the Taleban been completely ousted from Afghanistan now? I really no very little about that war.

My impression's that the Taliban's been growing in strength since like 2004.
Send e-hug to your friend.

Useless or not, no matter what political mood is, the soldiers on all sides who do the killing and the dying had no input in the decision to be there. The people who cause wars are the ones who are the most safe.
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

Everyone I know has parents in the military since i live in on base so its pretty much a military community.... onle one parent in like 6 years has been killed, and one has been critically wounded...

That's amazing considering I've met hundreds of people over here, and you hear if anyone in your school or base of area or someone in your dads platoon has been hurt....

But really, keep your hopes up because I don't think you have a lot to worry about...
Best wishes.
It's probably a good idea to enjoy your time with your friend as much as possible now, because even if he comes back alive he'll be a changed person
Kerry King Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians only

Quote by dehollister

and im 14 got any problems ill f*ckin drop you.

HE'LL DO IT

Quote by Kensai
Spooni_Shaq is the best UGer ever, period
Quote by Spooni_Shaq
It's probably a good idea to enjoy your time with your friend as much as possible now, because even if he comes back alive he'll be a changed person

It's probably not going to be that drastic...

From what I hear, Iraq is basically just IEDs and cowardly forms of indirect MASSCAL attacks, no actual firefights or anything exciting for an infantryman. Supposedly Afghanistan is where a grunt can actually be a grunt, but this is just from what I hear. Everyone I know, myself included, wants to go to A-stan and not Iraq.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by pwnerer
wat

Friendly fire. You heard of it? From what I know, more US soldiers have been killed in the first Iraq war by friendly fire than by the enemy.

Xiaoxi, technically it's still a war zone, but I know from the German soldiers in Afghanistan that attacks are rare and badly coordinated. The vast (and I mean VAAAAAST) majority of people knows that the soldiers aren't there for fighting the public, but to help and they are grateful for that.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Dec 23, 2008,
Quote by TheQuailman
Friendly fire. You heard of it? From what I know, more US soldiers have been killed in the first Iraq war by friendly fire than by the enemy.

Xiaoxi, technically it's still a war zone, but I know from the German soldiers in Afghanistan that attacks are rare and badly coordinated. The vast (and I mean VAAAAAST) majority of people knows that the soldiers aren't there for fighting the public, but to help and they are grateful for that.

Incorrect:

"2/3 of OIF fatalities are due to hostile fire. Another ¼ due to accidents.
Very different breakout than ODS, where 60% of deaths due to DNBI"

Sourced from the following document:

"Operation Iraqi Freedom Fatality Update: Data through 31 Jan 04"

Lisa Pearse, MAJ, MC, USA

Mortality Surveillance Division
Office of the Armed Forces Medical Examiner

EDIT: DNBI = Disease and Non-Battle Injury
OIF = Operation Iraqi Freedom
ODS = Operation Desert Storm
Last edited by Dreadnought at Dec 23, 2008,
Thanks, everyone, for your inputs. It seems like the consensus here is that the risks are still relatively small, so that kind of make me a bit relieved. I still wish him all the luck in the world though.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Trust me, he'll be fine. There is a much, much smaller chance of him dieing than we're lead to believe way over here.
We're only strays.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Thanks, everyone, for your inputs. It seems like the consensus here is that the risks are still relatively small, so that kind of make me a bit relieved. I still wish him all the luck in the world though.

The risk depends on where you're stationed.
Quote by pwnerer

Hmm, I should ask him specifically where he is going to be stationed in, but he may not know because he's kind of clueless.

If I find out I'll post it here.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by pwnerer

Moreso on your job...
Quote by Dreadnought
Moreso on your job...

He's going to be out in the combat zone, I know that for sure. I think he said he was going to be an electrician or something.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
He's going to be out in the combat zone, I know that for sure. I think he said he was going to be an electrician or something.

What the heck does "out in the combat zone" mean?

Is he in the Army?
Last edited by Dreadnought at Dec 23, 2008,
Quote by Dreadnought
What the heck does "out in the combat zone" mean?

Is he in the Army?
What exactly is confusing about that term?

And yes, he is in the army.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by captain Trips
my friend did a year in Iraq with the army, and he's going back

How does he feel about it?

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Page 1 of 2