Page 1 of 3
Well, there have been plenty of surveys comparing what kind of music people listen to and what kind of people they are.
This thread is to discuss them, because I have to say, they really are quite interesting.

Here's an example of one: http://www.theage.com.au/national/musical-key-to-unlocking-teenage-wasteland-20080804-3pxy.html?page=-1

According to that, a lot of us are likely to have/do: suicidal ideation, depression, drug use, self-harm, shoplifting, vandalism and unprotected sex.

Well, discuss.

Enzedit: Also, post other studies.

Here's a better one: http://blog.wired.com/music/2008/09/study-country-f.html
█████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████

You're just another brick in the wall
Last edited by En_zed at Dec 23, 2008,
Apparently I engage in these activities:

Higher levels of suicidal ideation, depression, drug use, self-harm, shoplifting, vandalism, unprotected sex.

That is the dumbest thing I have ever read.

Because of Metal I'm suicidal, depressed, cutting myself, stealing picks from music stores, spray painting a bus and humping my dog without a rubber.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
For the record: if zzeazz were still here, this would have been reported...

Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnow!
for some folk, i imagine it could be accurate. For others, completely inapplicable.

just like every other 'study' ever conducted. xD
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by ZeGuitarist
For the record: if zzeazz were still here, this would have been reported...

Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnow!

where did he go?
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
POP: Conformists, overly responsible, role-conscious, struggling with sexuality or peer acceptance.

HEAVY METAL: Higher levels of suicidal ideation, depression, drug use, self-harm, shoplifting, vandalism, unprotected sex.

DANCE: Higher levels of drug use regardless of socio-economic background.

JAZZ/RHYTHM & BLUES: Introverted misfits, loners.

RAP: Higher levels of theft, violence, anger, street gang membership, drug use and misogyny.
Quote by dubstar92
where did he go?

To UG's hellhole, the darkest of all dark places, also known as the Forum of the Banned.
Quote by ZeGuitarist
To UG's hellhole, the darkest of all dark places, also known as the Forum of the Banned.

ahhhh, I gigged there for about a month once, I never want to go back.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Quote by dubstar92
ahhhh, I gigged there for about a month once, I never want to go back.

He's not ever getting out, though
^^There's a forum for banned people?^^

And that is a load of BS, jesus.
Oh and where's normal rock music? It goes straight from pop to heavy metal.
Quote by wesselbindt
Then you should try dangerfapping. It involves fapping till ur halfway there, and then calling ur mom or dad to your room, and than try to cum before he/she enters your room. It's an incredible rush.
Haha, do what I do. Invent a style of music and then tell em to compare it to their chart.

"What do you mean you can't tell me if I'm at risk of mental illness or not? Eastern influenced crunk classic pop is massive!! Well, looks like you will have to tell them that their survey was incomplete. Good day to you sir."

For the record, I do have depression and steal and have had issues with self harm, and AM a metalhead, but that study is crap

Sanity is not statistical
Color me remarkably skeptical about the results of this study. Generally (at least what I observed when I was in high school) music enjoyed is an extension of social status, and not the other way around. For example, I don't know of anyone who got into Goth Culture because of the music. They got into Goth because it felt right, the music is just an accessory. Popular cliquey kids listen to pop music because in their place they don't need the musical accessories, etc.
Quote by ZeGuitarist
He's not ever getting out, though

perma'd???
grok it.

SKREAM!

What about folk, or post-rock?
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
That is the stupidest study I've seen done on it, it looks like they've just looked at modern stereotypes (Emo music for metal), and gone "Ahhh, this must cover the whole spectrum", they should have studied in depth some more "classic" heavy metal fanatics, as these days I believe the image of metal has been distorted, and there is alot of poser fans. True fans of metal tend to be intelligent, although definatly wreckless and definatly will engage in rebelious or illegal acts. But are peaceful people. I always have thought, and will stick by my theory that true metalheads have a different mindset to most people, and think in a different way. Say what you will, but this is how I observe myself, and others like me...

*flame shield*
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
i like reggae

apparently i dont exist
Taylor 314CE
Modulus G2T and G3CT
3 Warmoth Guitars
2 Fender MIA Strats--SRV & JM
Alvarez w/ Modulus Neck and EMG DG-20s
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50 w/ 1960a cab
Breedlove AC250/SM12
Gold Tone Weissenborn
Adrenalinn III & FCB1010
ALOT of pedals
Quote by dubstar92
perma'd???

Yup
His reporting flooded the mods' inboxes with report emails, so when he finally broke the rules himself, Carmel seemed eager to take the opportunity to get rid of him

He deserved it, though. Sorry to say it, but he did.
Quote by Jesstaa
That is the stupidest study I've seen done on it, it looks like they've just looked at modern stereotypes (Emo music for metal), and gone "Ahhh, this must cover the whole spectrum", they should have studied in depth some more "classic" heavy metal fanatics, as these days I believe the image of metal has been distorted, and there is alot of poser fans. True fans of metal tend to be intelligent, although definatly wreckless and definatly will engage in rebelious or illegal acts. But are peaceful people. I always have thought, and will stick by my theory that true metalheads have a different mindset to most people, and think in a different way. Say what you will, but this is how I observe myself, and others like me...

*flame shield*

Well lets look at a genre full of elitists.. Black metal.. Hmm.

I don't understand why everyone denies these studies. They pretty much hold true with people I know, ofcourse there are always exceptions and it's never going to apply to everyone.
Space reserved for the BBC study which was pretty good...genuine comparisons. I'll post it later.
Gibson SG
Ibanez RGR420ex
Marshall JTM30
Slash SW95 Crybaby
Boss DS1/DD7
Digitech Bad Monkey

Quote by Rolling_man
Space reserved for the BBC study which was pretty good...genuine comparisons. I'll post it later.

http://blog.wired.com/music/2008/09/study-country-f.html

That one?

I like all of those. I must be a pretty screwed up individual.

They should have added virgin to the metal one, though.

You know, I'm betting the author is into pop music. It's the only one that isn't chock full of negativity.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Last edited by Jack Off Jill at Dec 23, 2008,
I have high self esteem, am creative, am an introvert, and am outgoing.
I'm apparently an introverted misfit. It's been apparent for a while but it would seem the first study is at least somewhat accurate, the traits listed do seem to be characteristic of the people that listen to those types of music, or at least that's what I've come to believe.
Last edited by david_highland at Dec 23, 2008,
So if you listen to anything but classical, you're insane.

Since I listen to everything, I guess I should be put away.
"If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music."
— Albert Einstein
"HEAVY METAL: Higher levels of suicidal ideation, depression, drug use, self-harm, shoplifting, vandalism, unprotected sex."

Wrong, right, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.
Hah
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by noobcola
So if you listen to anything but classical, you're insane.

Since I listen to everything, I guess I should be put away.

Clearly you know how to read. The article pretty much says that people who listen to certain genres show tendencies towards particular traits. It doesn't mean if you listen to metal you are going to commit suicide or if you listen to jazz you have no friends.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
I like eighties country and arena rock. Does that mean I use too much hairspray when I go on a date with my sister! How dumb, i say lots of negative things about rap and metal, but its just a joke to me. For some fool to commission and study and come up with that...
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

What about people who listen to more than one genre? I can't understand why people are constantly trying to "umbrella" people who share a common interest into one person type.

Progressive/Post-Hardcore/Alternative/Experimental, bring it.
Quote by millerdrr
I like eighties country and arena rock. Does that mean I use too much hairspray when I go on a date with my sister! How dumb, i say lots of negative things about rap and metal, but its just a joke to me. For some fool to commission and study and come up with that...

It probably means you use all of your sister's hairspray, you fight for a while and then she rewards you with makeup sex.
Life is lame so let me eat your brain
vs.

VS.?????

*reported*
Quote by Vauxite
Lots of lulz were produced, thankyou good sir
Quote by Starstorm
What about people who listen to more than one genre? I can't understand why people are constantly trying to "umbrella" people who share a common interest into one person type.

Progressive/Post-Hardcore/Alternative/Experimental, bring it.

Everyone gets so defensive about these studies..

I will listen to pretty much anything that can be classed as music. From death metal to jazz to classical to hip hop to funk to pop, so obviously my taste in music won't be able to define be according to the studies.

Maybe read the full article?
"But sometimes an adolescent's musical tastes will reveal nothing."...

They clearly point out that it doesn't apply to everyone. You have to agree with some of the things in it though, most of the people I know who listen to metal do do drugs. I listen to metal and havn't touched drugs in my life, but that's not the point.. The point is alot do.
Quote by wigzwamz
vs.

VS.?????

*reported*

It's not a vs. thread, that's a grammatical mistake from the threadstarter. Subject is how musical preference indicates personality traits.

*grabs sister's hair spray
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

Last edited by millerdrr at Dec 23, 2008,
So, because I'm a fan of all these types of music, I have very strongly contrasting personality traits.

I'm suicidal because I enjoy metal, yet out-going and have high-self esteem because I listen to rap.

Yeah, that makes PERFECT sense
My Last.fm

Quote by \Powerslave/
HelloHalo, I love you.

WHO SEND ALL THESE BABIES TO FIGHT?
Quote by HelloHalo
So, because I'm a fan of all these types of music, I have very strongly contrasting personality traits.

I'm suicidal because I enjoy metal, yet out-going and have high-self esteem because I listen to rap.

Yeah, that makes PERFECT sense

How many times do I have to say that it doesn't apply to everyone. They are generalisations and don't always hold true.

Does the article have to spell that out in capital letters just so people understand? Gahh.
Quote by Regression
How many times do I have to say that it doesn't apply to everyone. They are generalisations and don't always hold true.

Does the article have to spell that out in capital letters just so people understand? Gahh.

"where'd my sig go' should have a question mark on it.

>.>

<.<

You know I still love you though, right?

Yeahh, I'm to lazy to change it though.

And ofcourse you still love me, because if you didn't..
Quote by Regression
Yeahh, I'm to lazy to change it though.

And ofcourse you still love me, because if you didn't..

Yessir!

Page 1 of 3