Page 1 of 2
Hey guys,

So, a feature I like to have on my guitars is a Kill switch. For a while now I've toyed with the idea of routing out my guitars to accommodate a switch each, but just don't have the heart to go through with it.

Well, purely by chance today, I came across a video on youtube where the guy had added a kill switch (mounted in a small box) to the cable from his amp to his guitar.

This got me thinking, and well...here is my product.

Basically the Red Jack Plug is inserted into the guitar and on the opposite side of the box is a Jack socket, into which you plug in the cable to your amp/effects. Then it's a simple case of pressing the kill switch to break the circuit and that's it. All the Buckethead/Tom Morello sounds you can think of! Ofcourse figuring out where to put the thing so it easily usable was a challange, but I think I have it all worked out. (Rubber Bands are my friend!)

Obviously the idea is completely customisable, from the length of the cable, to the type of switch (push or toggle) etc etc etc.

Just wondering if I have maybe stumbled upon something here...I very highly doubt it, but hey, you never quite know, right?

I've spoken to a couple of my guitar playing friends who all seem interested and thought the idea was cool. And a quick search of this forum has shown quite a lot of interest in having something similar to what I have created.

Oh...and, I couldn't help but "EVH" my Kill switch box:

Views, Thoughts, Constructive Criticisms all welcome ofcourse!

Xero666

EDIT: I've also created a video to show the box being used:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9ESkgyxWLPc
"Man, you can shred as much as you f**kin' want, but if you can't make my ass move, then f**k off!" - Dave Grohl.
Quote by Telecaster7
personally i would have made it a foot switch, cause that pretty much is a foot switch, and they don't go on your guitar...

I know what you're saying but I specifically made it so it was suitable to use on a guitar as I demonstrated (ie. it is made from a very lightweight plastic box and a switch which can be easily operated by hand). The idea can easily be made into a foot switch or toggle switch for those who would prefer it that way.
"Man, you can shred as much as you f**kin' want, but if you can't make my ass move, then f**k off!" - Dave Grohl.
ok, kool, then it,s nice, i kind of feel like making something similar, but u know i would fail miserably at it., also, maybe if it way a small box with the switch on the body, and then the main guts of the controller attached to the strap?

but i do have to commend you for putting the effort into designing and building it.
Quote by Telecaster7
ok, kool, then it,s nice, i kind of feel like making something similar, but u know i would fail miserably at it., also, maybe if it way a small box with the switch on the body, and then the main guts of the controller attached to the strap?

but i do have to commend you for putting the effort into designing and building it.

That's a very VERY good idea...

Looks like prototype number 2 maybe on its way.

Thanks for your support too.
Quote by Telecaster7
no prob, oh, and blu tack is your friend

Haha, yup it is. I have used that also!
Hey man, how did you make that? Probably been asked a lot. PM me the instrauctions thanks.
Quote by Jacksonsoad
Hey man, how did you make that? Probably been asked a lot. PM me the instrauctions thanks.

Would you like the instructions for this one or Proto 2? I will more than likely be working on it when I get home from work today.

Xero
There's also an instructable on this , nice result tough really clean looking.
Quote by Kroaton
There's also an instructable on this , nice result tough really clean looking.

Really? I honestly hadn't seen that.

Hopefully I'll be able to expand on the idea and perfect it...only time will tell.

Keep the comments coming!
Quote by guitar-godfrey
can u post a shem or link to the video plz?

There is a link to the video in the top post...but here it is again :

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9ESkgyxWLPc
great idea, but dom morello doesnt necessarily use a real killswitch, he just turns one pickups volume completely to 0 and the other to 10, then he uses his toggle switch to do the same effect.
I has sigs

Quote by COBGage
If Dimebag can't take a few bullets to the head how's he gonna be able to take a full on Kamehameha?
Quote by skaterkevin87
great idea, but dom morello doesnt necessarily use a real killswitch, he just turns one pickups volume completely to 0 and the other to 10, then he uses his toggle switch to do the same effect.

Very true, but what about guitars that don't have that feature from the factory?

Obviously, SG and LP (or similar) players will be able to acheive the same effect easily - no modding required.

But for someone without this option, my box seems to work really well. The box is aimed at people who want to create the sounds, without modding their existing guitars...and also for those who aren't too comfortable with electronics and/or soldering.

The main pro, I feel, about my box is that it it truly universal. I can unplug it from my guitar and then plug it right into my bass and it will work exactly the same. For players with numerous instruments it is great that you don't need to spend time routing out 3 or 4 seperate guitars and then modding 3 or 4 sets of wiring. This box does it all.
Quote by -MintSauce-
It's a decent idea tbh, but nothing groundbreaking.

No its signal breaking

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Xero666
Very true, but what about guitars that don't have that feature from the factory?

Obviously, SG and LP (or similar) players will be able to acheive the same effect easily - no modding required.

But for someone without this option, my box seems to work really well. The box is aimed at people who want to create the sounds, without modding their existing guitars...and also for those who aren't too comfortable with electronics and/or soldering.

The main pro, I feel, about my box is that it it truly universal. I can unplug it from my guitar and then plug it right into my bass and it will work exactly the same. For players with numerous instruments it is great that you don't need to spend time routing out 3 or 4 seperate guitars and then modding 3 or 4 sets of wiring. This box does it all.

Yes, i get what you're saying, and it is a great idea btw, but i can't see it being completely practical unless you make it smaller with an easier acces to the button, maybe half the size of the box you have, and being able to stick it to your guitar...?

if your going to pursue making this idea better, good luck!
I has sigs

Quote by COBGage
If Dimebag can't take a few bullets to the head how's he gonna be able to take a full on Kamehameha?
Quote by skaterkevin87
if your going to pursue making this idea better, good luck!

I do intend to...

thanks for your support!!!
Is this a joke. You guys hail this guy like he is a god. For God's sake, a thread called "Tutorial: Killswitch "Pedal" " was made earlier this year and this guy gets gold, frankincense, and myrrh, figuratively speaking. This is a killswitch in a box. Way to think "inside" the box... If Kurtlives91's response was sarcastic (and I trust it was), than I go along with that.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Quote by asfastasdark
Is this a joke. You guys hail this guy like he is a god. For God's sake, a thread called "Tutorial: Killswitch "Pedal" " was made earlier this year and this guy gets gold, frankincense, and myrrh, figuratively speaking. This is a killswitch in a box. Way to think "inside" the box... If Kurtlives91's response was sarcastic (and I trust it was), than I go along with that.

Jesus christ your a dick, your **** isnt tolerated here, go back to the pit. We weren't ''hailing'' TS, we were complimenting on the work he's done. Now either you are just a dick, or your jealous because you've never done any good with modding a guitar or piece of gear. Seriously dude, he made a killswitch box, witch is pretty sweet for someone to build themselves. now, would you be kind enough to GTFO? ty

P.S. happy holidays!
I has sigs

Quote by COBGage
Quote by Telecaster7
personally i would have made it a foot switch, cause that pretty much is a foot switch, and they don't go on your guitar...

Every try turning a foot pedal on and off really quickly ?
go ahead.. just tap your foot fast enough to pull off some tom morello, i'll wait....
hard isn't it?
now try tapping your desk with your hand....
lot easier and faster huh?
Quote by skaterkevin87
Jesus christ your a dick, your **** isnt tolerated here, go back to the pit. We weren't ''hailing'' TS, we were complimenting on the work he's done. Now either you are just a dick, or your jealous because you've never done any good with modding a guitar or piece of gear. Seriously dude, he made a killswitch box, witch is pretty sweet for someone to build themselves. now, would you be kind enough to GTFO? ty

P.S. happy holidays!

You have 60 posts. I have... uhm, lets see. 1127. And this will be my 1128th. I spend most of my days in GB&C, not in the Pit. I was just pointing out that the replies were a bit ironic considering the vast amount of work it must have taken to do. Cough. Well I know I'm not a dick, so according to you that makes me someone who has never done any modding. I have a Strat with two toggle switches to change the wiring to single coils in series, and am working on a heavily modded Pro Co Rat right now, so this renders you either a liar or an idiot. And learn how to spell.

P.S. Happy holidays to you too!

Edit: I left a greeting on your profile.
Gear:
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Quote by asfastasdark

Yes I was being sarcastic

You and I have learned the ways of DIY

Killswitches are the most pointless stupid little gizmos/ideas ever. Sorry had to say it...
Yay for Kurtlives91 ^_^

Though I have a long way to go still.
Gear:
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
I understand the uselessness of killswitches, but i don't see why you guys are ripping at the TS for this. It's a good idea for people who want a killswitch to do Morello crap, but don't want to drill into their guitar. It seems like a pretty simple idea to me, but it's useful. Way to be a dick, asfastasdark.

EDIT: I agree with kurt on the pointlessness of killswitches. I don't like them at all, but you guys telling TS off are just being stupid.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Last edited by bv310 at Dec 23, 2008,
Quote by bv310
I understand the uselessness of killswitches, but i don't see why you guys are ripping at the TS for this. It's a good idea for people who want a killswitch to do Morello crap, but don't want to drill into their guitar. It seems like a pretty simple idea to me, but it's useful. Way to be a dick, asfastasdark.

EDIT: I agree with kurt on the pointlessness of killswitches. I don't like them at all, but you guys telling TS off are just being stupid.

That's basically why i came in here for, people have no right to tear up TS just because he likes killswitches. Personally i play some RATM stuff, but i have a Les Paul so it cancels out the need for a killswitch. You dont see me ripping on people for no reason?
I has sigs

Quote by COBGage
im not gonna come in here to be a complete dick, but honestly..."OHHH!!! an on-off switch!!!....ughhhhh.....

i didnt make a "killswitchs are useless" group for nothin'....okay, its a cool idea to not have to drill out the guitar, but while u were makin this, i was moddin my wah to have a positive effect on my tone...i just really think killswitchs are a waste of time.

however, TS, on the plus side, u did do a very nice job, good clean work, almost professional lookin'....if u can do that, try getting into pedal buildin and moddin
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Do you know what, asfastasdark. You really know how to make a guy feel like s***.

Constructive criticism is a wonderful thing. It's what drives me to take a small idea, and make it a reality. And then ultimately, to improve upon it. You, on the other hand have just ripped me and my work apart. OK, so I don't have the best knowledge of electronics in the world. And I don't know how to build a "Strat with two toggle switches to change the wiring to single coils in series" and I am not currently "working on a heavily modded Pro Co Rat". But that gives you no right to come in here and blast me and these other people you don't know, nor have ever met.

So what if you have over 1000 posts and I have less than 10. I came here hoping for some quality advice from other musicians. If the other forum members with over 1000 posts were just like you then what a s***y forum this would be.

You don't have to like my idea/design. I'm not expecting everyone to. But what's wrong with a "Not my kinda thing, good job though" like most of the comments I have received so far.

Good luck designing the 1st space-shuttle to land on Pluto or whatever you decide to build next.

To the guys who have stuck up for me and my build:

Thank-you very much for your continued support. Especially you, AngusJimiKeith. Your comment about getting into pedal building/modding has inspired me to try and learn more. It's just too bad this guy had to come in here and p*** on my parade.
Oh...and if you spend most of your days in the GB&C, asfastasdark, then you must have seen this:

1. Don't be an asshole. Don't flame people, don't take the piss out of other people's opinions/possessions. Treat people with respect and don't say things that make others feel insignificant.

Asshole
i, for one, look forward to seein a good pedal build from u soon, if i just inspired u so much ...i wish i could, but almost everything i do electronics-wise is really low-key cause my parents think im gonna burn my arm off with the soldering iron ...
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by asfastasdark
You have 60 posts. I have... uhm, lets see. 1127. And this will be my 1128th. I spend most of my days in GB&C, not in the Pit. I was just pointing out that the replies were a bit ironic considering the vast amount of work it must have taken to do. Cough. Well I know I'm not a dick, so according to you that makes me someone who has never done any modding. I have a Strat with two toggle switches to change the wiring to single coils in series, and am working on a heavily modded Pro Co Rat right now, so this renders you either a liar or an idiot. And learn how to spell.

P.S. Happy holidays to you too!

Edit: I left a greeting on your profile.

Well, I have 17,000 posts and i say you're a f*cking wanker.

Reported if nobody else did it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Sorry to put this thread back on topic, but I really like this idea. Couple suggestions for round two:
1: Cut down the size! Little overly large for what you have in there, IMHO.
2: It needs a better mounting system. Velcro, bolt on, whatever, but a rubber band over a tone knob has potential for improvement.
3: A better quality cable would be good.
4: ??????????????
5: Profit!
^^wow. no one reported him till u showed up. thats sad on our part.....
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Quote by SVStee
Sorry to put this thread back on topic, but I really like this idea. Couple suggestions for round two:
1: Cut down the size! Little overly large for what you have in there, IMHO.
2: It needs a better mounting system. Velcro, bolt on, whatever, but a rubber band over a tone knob has potential for improvement.
3: A better quality cable would be good.
4: ??????????????
5: Profit!

Yup Proto #2 will be coming very soon!!!!
Maybe the mighty asfastasdark could try sharing his knowledge and offer advice on a more challenging second project rather than simply harping on about how amazing he is.

TS wanted a killswitch, but didn't want to route his guitar to install it where he wanted it so he figured out another way to do it without the help of the ultimate killswitch thread or the aforementoned "Tutorial:Killswitch Pedal" - exactly what part of that warrants tearing someone down?

It may be a small achievement to some but it's still an achievement...somebody needs to learn some manners and stop sucking his own dick.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
thanks seagull, he literally spammed the sh*t outa my profile too, everyone who got him to shut uo, ty. Xero666, don't let him bring you down. You did an exellent job with that killswitch. Personally, I wouldnt've been able to do that for my life. And angus, i reported him a long time ago.
I has sigs

Quote by COBGage
he doesnt suck his own dick, he obviously doesnt have one....

either that or he invented a machine to suck it for him

EDIT: wow what an ass...he hates everyone who doesnt agree with him...i just saw some of the profile spamming
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Last edited by AngusJimiKeith at Dec 23, 2008,
check my profile angus, very belittling on my t-shirt ... thats my 2nd favorite shirt too
I has sigs

Quote by COBGage
Page 1 of 2