Hey everyone

I have my hands on a crummy old Squier Strat, and am going to mess around a bit with it over the holidays. Basically I'm going to reshape the body to be as small as possible, like a Steinberger or something. Basically think John Mayall.

So I have decided to remove all the tone controls and volume controls etc. etc. when I re-wire everything into the re-shaped body as when I use this crappy old guitar I have them all maxed out anyhow.

So when re-wiring, how would I go about wiring things to totally bypass all three controls and have them maxed out as a result?

I know some of you are purists and might feel inclined to advise me to keep my controls installed, but don't worry! I really don't need them for this guitar! So please nobody tell me I do! Hehe thanks.

Cheers guys
--Hamkins.
Not too good with electronics, but surely you could get a couple of components to add to it/replace the old parts in order to boost the signal.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
So does anyone actually know? It seems to make sense that you'd just remove the entire component, someone must know, I'd just like to be sure.
Wire your pickups to the same points on ground and the switch as they are now (if you're not changing pickups even easier) wire the hot out from the switch (goes to volume pot from switch at the moment) to hot 'tip lug' on the output jack (the volume 'out' will be there at the moment) and the ground 'ring lug' of the output jack to ground (will already be there) add a ground from (well any ground point really) to your bridge (normally on trem/claw). You don't need any other wires for a non-vol no-tone set-up.
Clear?
Happy?

EDIT: Almost forgot - your selector switch casing will need grounding, it will be at the moment but you might need to reposition a wire to ground if you're removing pots.
Last edited by bellerophon at Dec 23, 2008,
wow, this is interesting. i've never even seen a guitar without at least basic controls. if you're using more than one pickup you're gonna want to keep the switch. i think you would be able to wire it all straight out to the output, but i recommend at least taking a peek at a few of the wiring diagrams at http://www.stewmac.com/wiring101/
Keep your pickups grounded, and just send the ''hot'' to your output jack... I've done this before with only one pickup, not too sure how it would go with more than one.
I has sigs

Quote by COBGage
If Dimebag can't take a few bullets to the head how's he gonna be able to take a full on Kamehameha?
Quote by skaterkevin87
Keep your pickups grounded, and just send the ''hot'' to your output jack... I've done this before with only one pickup, not too sure how it would go with more than one.
Trouble with that method is there's no variation from the pickups, all on, all the time.
Better off going through the 5way to at least give selection options..
Quote by bellerophon
Trouble with that method is there's no variation from the pickups, all on, all the time.
Better off going through the 5way to at least give selection options..

Bahh humbug! (thought it'd be the perfect time cause of the holidays n all, you can't really say ''Bahh humbug'' in july without looking like a douche). You can pass it through a switch of you want, but it would take up a bit more room on your guitar, and if you want it shaped like a Steinburger, it might get in the way.
I has sigs

Quote by COBGage
If Dimebag can't take a few bullets to the head how's he gonna be able to take a full on Kamehameha?