Just recently got the classic 30 to use with my strat. I like the cleans on the thing but the overdrive sounds like one muddy mess. I almost can't distinguish between different chords, it just sounds like muddled garbage. I don't know whether I'm doing something wrong or whether this is a characteristic of this amp. I'm keeping the pre volume around max and the post volume around min to get maximum crunch, but maybe this amp can't deal with it? FWIW, I retubed with JJ EL84s. Would a compressor and/or noise gate help? Thanks.
Checked the pre tubes?

I use classic 30's with my strat all the time and it sounds excellent on the drive channel..
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by icyfire
Just recently got the classic 30 to use with my strat. I like the cleans on the thing but the overdrive sounds like one muddy mess. I almost can't distinguish between different chords, it just sounds like muddled garbage. I don't know whether I'm doing something wrong or whether this is a characteristic of this amp. I'm keeping the pre volume around max and the post volume around min to get maximum crunch, but maybe this amp can't deal with it? FWIW, I retubed with JJ EL84s. Would a compressor and/or noise gate help? Thanks.

That's why you're getting mud, do it the other way round if you want crunch.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Your post volume is like your master vol. on the peaveys, and the prevol is like the gain. You're like putting full gain but min. volume. I thought it was common knowledge that you want that natural tube distortion, so you're gonna have to put a lot of volume, and like gain of 3 or 4 if you want that crunch.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
yeah to get crunch you want opposite. try rolling off your pre gain a little bit. its going to be muddy with it on 12 and volume on 1
Check preamp tube, and turn off the boost button, thats makes the amp sound terible IMO.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Turn down the pre gain and turn up the post.
If that doesn't do it, you might want to experiment with a different V2 preamp tube.

Also, what are your EQ settings?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator