ok, don't shoot me, but i love crappy tones. like, little mini amps on full volume, with a distortion pedal. tones so muddy and distorted you can't make out a note. that dead battery sound of germanium overdrive. I love that stupid raucous tinny distortion and slide guitar like sea sick steve and hound dog taylor. anyone else with me? Oh and i like nice tones too, think SRV, or Gilmour, and i love my old amp, but sometimes i just feel like something a little unusual, you know?
Originally Posted by Kill Factory
If you want to play some emo music, I recommend using these settings:

Gain: 0
Bass: 0
Mid: 0
Treble: 0

Master Volume: 0

HAHA!
Sometimes I enjoy playing out of a lesser-quality amp as well, just because the sound is so bad, it's good :P
the thing that came to mind was Mayhem's live album, dawn of the black hearts, which had really ****ty guitar tone. Or maybe it was the recording. But I strangely liked it.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
i get what you mean, i have a fender frontman 15 as my ****ty practice amp, which has two tones: clean and meh
but it is sometimes fun to play on, the way it distorts unbelievably on any volume setting above 2
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
same
I really like my battery powered 2W Marshall

Mine doesnt work anymore lol
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Quote by darkrikku
ppl love my voice, and that is S**t to me.

Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
I play through an AVT series,I pretty much have to love bad tone

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

We have some busted AVT's at college that my bud uses in our Jazz Fusion/Funk/Dub/Weird**** band. He uses the clean channel and turns the gain up, and we mic it up with a large diaphragm condenser and it sounds absolutely horrible, but in the best way possible.

**** tones aren't always ****. Just depends on the band and the music.
Whatever fits, yknow?
I like it sometimes, for playing garage rock. I'd max out the volume on my fuzz and overdrive pedals, and get some feedback too. Depends on the music I'm playing though.

For most other things I play, I like a good tone.
I guess i can contribute to this thread saying that i like crap sounding fuzz. I've been looking for a fuzz that's cheap and crap enough sounding, and the behringer SF300 super fuzz seems to be the closest to the fuzz tone i'm looking for.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
... I'm going to interject here and say that due to the subjective nature of tone, it's not bad tone if you like it. Bad tone is bad tone, not cheap tone.
By that logic, I don't like bad tone one bit. Some cheap tones, however, can be quite good if used properly.
My friend Matt still plays out of a Marshall mg15. Worst tone I've ever heard but he makes that puppy sing when he solo's. Doesn't help much that I play a spider 3 75w and I'm strictly rhythm so the difference is night and day.

**** amps know how to solo. always have. just don't go playing shadows fall rhythm on it.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
listen to Link Wray
Gibson Les Paul Studio(Wine Red)
Squier Vintage Modified Tele(White)
Eastwood Sidejack(Amber)
EHX Little Big Muff Pi
Danelectro: Echo,Tremolo, Octave
Dunlop JH-1B Wah
Epiphone Valve Jr. w/ 1x12 cab