does an extra 70 pound price tag justify a 212 tube amp ? is there much deifference

i want a valveking 112, but im concerend whether it will be able to play talent shows etc in my school hall with upwards of 300 people.

or should i just lay down the extra to get the 100 watt 212, which will be an ass to carry down my stairs etc since it weighs and extra like 20 lbs
GEAR

customised westfield strat soon to be HH
MIJ 68'reissue strat from 1996

bunch of boss pedals
112 will be absolutley fine if your only playing talent shows.
I prefer the sound of a 2x12 though.
Sweet.
i would think for 300+people you would mic your equipment. the 212 sounds fuller though. but honestly 112 will be fine. expecially for moving and whatnot.
I think 2x12's generally sound better (fuller, more open), but volume wise you'd be fine with either, unless it's got really low wattage or something. Anyway if you get to do more serious gigs, your amp will usually be miced anyway so the volume won't be an issue.
Quote by YoHendrix
212 will give you alot more power, the 2 speakers will push more sound

No it won't - it's not going to make a massive difference and the 1x12 will be plenty loud enough
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
No it won't - it's not going to make a massive difference and the 1x12 will be plenty loud enough

So a ****load more bottom end isn't a massive difference?
Quote by konigstiger
PCSpeaker is right,

Damn right I am.

Bugera 333xl > Crybaby Wah > Marshall Guv'Nor > Boss SD1 > J&D Les Paul / Vintage Lemon Drop / Modded HSH Squier / Vintage Warp / Standard Squier Strat /Tanglewood Acoustic!
Quote by steven seagull

Um, yes it will. 40 watts more specifically.
Quote by Horlicks
Um, yes it will. 40 watts more specifically.

50 watts even more specifically.

The 2x12 has switchable output impedances too, which is useful if you wanted to use it to power an external cab etc..
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by willieturnip
50 watts even more specifically.

The 2x12 has switchable output impedances too, which is useful if you wanted to use it to power an external cab etc..

Touche. I always thought the 1x12 was 60 watts.
will it sound " bigger and bassier" and generally loder, that my freinds 100 watt mg
GEAR

customised westfield strat soon to be HH
MIJ 68'reissue strat from 1996

bunch of boss pedals
Quote by higgy30
will it sound " bigger and bassier" and generally loder, that my freinds 100 watt mg

It will make his MG sound like a dying animal.
Quote by steven seagull
I'd argue that it would make a quite large difference, seeing as it is both doubled in wattage and in speaker surface area so it'd be much louder than the 1x12.

But that said, the 1x12 is loud enough anyway, you'll save money with it, it'll sound good enough and still miles better than your friend's MG, and a 2x12 tube combo WILL break your back

1x12 is the logical choice here. Trust me, a tube amp sounds louder than an equivalent SS amp. I can overpower 100w MGs with headroom to spare on my 30w 1x12 tube combo.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
i have a vk 112.... It sounds good and has PLENTY of volume. With volume boost off at 3 volume on the gain channel, my windows were shaking.

and about the mg...

Mg 100w half stack
8->

Valveking 50w 112
8==================================D
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
It's personal preference when it comes to the number of speakers.

My personal favorite is a 2x12. It's the best tone and volume that fits in a ford fiesta boot .
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
i wouldn't even bother with the valveking, giant piece of mud. But if you had to go with one, then stay with the 1x12, no real point in getting the 2x12 except for more money to put into getting a better tone, that still wont sound great.
Quote by Mitchell?
A second speaker will only give you 3db more than a 1x12.

Thats quite a bit
Quote by SloppyJoseph
Thats quite a bit

AND 50 MORE WATTS.

And I agree with the post a bit above.

Valvekings are awful.
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Valvekings are fine.

Get the 1x12. 50 watts is more than enough for you. I think most people on here severely underestimate loudness.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
I rarely get my 50 watt amp to half its maximum volume. The thing is a POWERHOUSE.
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
Quote by higgy30
does an extra 70 pound price tag justify a 212 tube amp ? is there much deifference

Screw that and get a Randall!!!

Hehe sorry. The 112 is loud as hell. In my opinion the 112 sounded better than the 212. The distortion was to muddy in my opinion. But I only played it low volumes and the difference will be heard when going up loud.
Last edited by WantzChas at Dec 23, 2008,
When you mod it in the future, 2 speakers are more expensive than 1. I'd recommend the 112.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
/\ go home and take a patch lead to the fx loop and try it .muddy my asda
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
Go with the 112...

Pro's

Less speakers to replace
Plenty loud enough
50 watts will give you more versatility if you play classic rock because it will have less headroom but still enough headroom to play metal.
Less weight
Less expensive
Cheaper to replace tubes/upgrade tubes

Also your only getting about a 3db increase from the wattage and 3db from the speaker. Now factor in a 3dB change is considered a just-perceivable difference its really not worth the extra cash if your looking for more volume. Thats what a pa system is for.

Now that said running 2x12's will sound fuller and disperse air better. But in my opinion its not worth the extra cash in your case. If you were trying to decide between cabs it would be a different story.

Hope that helps...
Let's put it this way,

I played the Star Spangled Banner at a PRCA rodeo arena with the volume on 3 without any boosts on my VK 112.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Last edited by classicrocker01 at Dec 23, 2008,