I'm buying a 6505 head next year, but I was just wondering what is the difference between the 6505 and the 6505+?

I know the + has more tubes or something, but what does that actually do for the sound?

Cheers.
Quote by Brian 1.0
Don't listen to him, he likes rap.

Quote by napalm_monkey
i like to drink washing up liquid, it makes my throat feel fresh and smell like plates.

Quote by thomaserak
kill yourself, that'll show 'em.
id say 6505+. that way, you have distinct clean and crunch tones, and the extra 12AX7 preamp tubes add more gain.
Quote by skankingeasy
I always thought Clapton never lived up to his potential.

Quote by Chrisiphone
My grandma didn't have built in effects

Quote by Gargantuan

We are not worthy

Quote by Scoopy_3
A7x own!!!

^the ultimate argument agaisnt a7x.
Quote by turtlicorn
id say 6505+. that way, you have distinct clean and crunch tones, and the extra 12AX7 preamp tubes add more gain.

False.
The + does not have a distinct clean channel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeoYMvQa30w
And the extra tube doesn't add more gain either; the + has actually less gain.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I'm not really bothered about the whole "sucky clean channel" thing. I'm not really a clean guy.

azn, what is actually the difference then? Or do you not know?
Quote by Brian 1.0

Quote by napalm_monkey
i like to drink washing up liquid, it makes my throat feel fresh and smell like plates.

Quote by thomaserak
Quote by tomisfatt01
I'm not really bothered about the whole "sucky clean channel" thing. I'm not really a clean guy.

azn, what is actually the difference then? Or do you not know?

http://www.fjamods.com/5150VS5150II.html
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I own a 5150, and a 6505+. Which basically the 5150 is like the regular 6505. There is a difference but it's not as huge as some people act like. I actually prefer the sound of my 6505+. It has slightly less gain but this does not matter because the + has plenty enough. And another thing is the 6505 is about to be discountinued. So, it'll be easier to get your parts and get your + fixed. But if you must have a 6505 better get it now.

They are going to quit making it because the + isn't much more money and they are hardly selling any regular 6505's.
Quote by hcsn2008
I own a 5150, and a 6505+. Which basically the 5150 is like the regular 6505. There is a difference but it's not as huge as some people act like. I actually prefer the sound of my 6505+. It has slightly less gain but this does not matter because the + has plenty enough. And another thing is the 6505 is about to be discountinued. So, it'll be easier to get your parts and get your + fixed. But if you must have a 6505 better get it now.

They are going to quit making it because the + isn't much more money and they are hardly selling any regular 6505's.

Link? I also heard rumors about Ted Nugent's 6505 sig, do you know anything about it?
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Pro's
Seperate eq's and resonance and presence controls for each channel. This helps out alot when switching from say modern metal to classic rock or lower gain stuff. I have my rhythm channel setup for rock and lead for metal. So im not changing the eq every 10 minutes. Or you can set it up to go from normal rhythm and have the lead as a solo boost.

Bias Probe testing port. Its a really nice thing to have when you finally swap out tubes or if you end up doing a bias mod.

Tad bit better cleans then the original but still not up to par with most amps.

Con's
It has a bit less gain, but the good thing is it still has more on tap then you will ever need. Just remember when you demo them to crank the 6505+ a bit more or you will think the 6505 kills it and there pretty spot on tone wise.

And the specifics..

6505+ FEATURES:
• Two distinct tube channels with footswitch control
• LED “active” indicators for each channel
• Bright switch for Rhythm channel
• Crunch switch on Rhythm channel with footswitch control
• Separate equalizer sections for each channel
• Separate power amp controls (Resonance and Presence) for each channel
• Separate preamp controls (Pre and Post Gain) for each channel
• Standby power switch
• Bias test points on rear panel
• Effects loop with footswitch control
• 1/4" Preamp output jack
• Speaker impedance selection switch (4, 8, 16 ohm)
• Two parallel 1/4" speaker output jacks
• 120 watts output power
• Metal three button footswitch with detachable 25' cable

6505 FEATURES:
• 120 watts RMS into 16, 8, or 4 ohms (switchable)
• Five 12AX7 preamp tubes & four 6L6GC power amp tubes
• High & low gain inputs
• Two-channel preamp switchable on front panel or footswitch
• Rhythm channel: pre-/post-gain, bright & crunch switches
• Lead channel: pre-/post-gain
• Channels share three-band EQ
• Presence & resonance controls
• Switchable post-EQ effects loop
• Preamp output
• Footswitch included
Quote by hcsn2008

where did you hear Peavey was discontinuing the 6505? Any info what they are replacing it with?
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
where did you hear Peavey was discontinuing the 6505? Any info what they are replacing it with?

My dealer got a memo saying that they couldn't sell enough of them to justify making them. That the 6505 was only like a hundred and fifty more dollars and everyone was buying those. I'm not sure they are replacing the original 6505 with anything. Although I heard someone on the net say that they were putting out a new head that was talked about at winter namm show. I'm trying to find it.

Later on they are going to make changes to the 6505+. But not sure what they are going to do. But I see that they can't sell the 6505. I mean most people have the + and most stores I go into don't even have the original they all have the +. At somepoint in 2009 they will quit making the 6505 so the + will be your only option. But hell I like the + better so I'm not really caring plus I already have an original 5150 also.
interesting. Glad I have one of the originals, I actually prefer it over the II/+. Not a deal breaker on the difference though IMO. I doubt parts will be a problem for a long time, there are so many of them on the market. It will be interesting to see what changes they make to the + series though. I saw that NAMM link you are talking about, like the 3120 or something, but I think it replaces the XXX.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
interesting. Glad I have one of the originals, I actually prefer it over the II/+. Not a deal breaker on the difference though IMO. I doubt parts will be a problem for a long time, there are so many of them on the market. It will be interesting to see what changes they make to the + series though. I saw that NAMM link you are talking about, like the 3120 or something, but I think it replaces the XXX.

Yeah it's going to replace the xxx. Like I said I don't know that they will replace the 6505 with anything. Just push the + even more. Most people in a store look at it as.. the + is only a little bit more and have more features so most people go for it. A lot of people want the seperate eq for the clean channel even when they don't use it. lol I just like mine anyway... it sounds awesome and I can't tell a lot of difference in my + and 5150. I turn up the gain a tad bit more on my + but I mean... It's very little.
I just saw the thread on HC about the regular 6505 (non + version) being discontinued and Peavey will be updating the 6505+ and releasing the 3120 (XXX replacement). Interesting news. Better get your plain jane 6505's while you can.
Thats intresting...

The days of the legendary 5150/6505 line are finally coming to an end. Its gonna be a sad day when they finally go and the fact they are changing the 6505+ means no more of them in there orginal form as well

It's a good thing I picked up mine when I did...
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Thats intresting...

The days of the legendary 5150/6505 line are finally coming to an end. Its gonna be a sad day when they finally go and the fact they are changing the 6505+ means no more of them in there orginal form as well

That won't be the case if they make some awesome improvements though. Specially with Bugera taking some of Peavey's sales (I could be wrong about this btw).

Oh well.

Where did you guys hear about this 3120?
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Quote by aznrockerdude
That won't be the case if they make some awesome improvements though. Specially with Bugera taking some of Peavey's sales (I could be wrong about this btw).

Oh well.

Where did you guys hear about this 3120?

Got my fingers crossed , hoping for something like a Uberschall with a 6505 price point
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Dec 23, 2008,
I wish Peavey would work on the gain a bit and add the JSX clean channel to the 6505+. That would be sweet. I have the combo version and I really love the tone. I dig the darker aspect of it. The clean is actually really decent too.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Got my fingers crossed , hoping for something like a Uberschall with a 6505 price point

I'd rather it come out sounding more like a Framus Cobra than a Uberschall.
Quote by TheEsupremacy
I wish Peavey would work on the gain a bit and add the JSX clean channel to the 6505+. That would be sweet. I have the combo version and I really love the tone. I dig the darker aspect of it. The clean is actually really decent too.

Yea a good clean channel would be a plus, used to love the cleans on my Ultra. But I lucked out on my ampeg and it has cleans comparable to a Jazz Chorus so I'm not to hungry for a cleans anymore.

Quote by TheEsupremacy
I'd rather it come out sounding more like a Framus Cobra than a Uberschall.

Havent been able to get my hands on a cobra yet so im in the dark on the comparision.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Yea a good clean channel would be a plus, used to love the cleans on my Ultra. But I lucked out on my ampeg and it has cleans comparable to a Jazz Chorus so I'm not to hungry for a cleans anymore.

Havent been able to get my hands on a cobra yet so im in the dark on the comparision.

I love the clean channel on my JSX. It takes to pedals so well. Your Ampeg has really good cleans. I love that amp. How's it working out for you? As far as the my Cobra comment goes, I truely believe that is the standard/bar to reach in metal tones. If you ever play through one, you'll never feel the same about another amp ever again. It's a shame they are so expensive and so hard to find new in the states.
Quote by TheEsupremacy
I love the clean channel on my JSX. It takes to pedals so well. Your Ampeg has really good cleans. I love that amp. How's it working out for you? As far as the my Cobra comment goes, I truely believe that is the standard/bar to reach in metal tones. If you ever play through one, you'll never feel the same about another amp ever again. It's a shame they are so expensive and so hard to find new in the states.

Its working out better then I could ever hope for actually. Its the only amp I didn't demo before purchasing so I had my fingers crossed. And when it cam in, it completely blew me away. The gain channel has the tightest tone of any metal amp I have played and the cleans dont get any better in my opinion because I love JC type cleans. Also it makes a hell of a companion to the 6505+ they blend in perfectly. And I can honeslty say that I have found my perfect tone with this combo. Super tightness of an ss, tube warmth and harmonics mixed with a great lead tone and great cleans to boot man.. I'm still in disbelief.

Thats good to know because getting ahold of any high dollar amp where im at is always a pain. I have to hit them up when I find them used at some of the mom and pop shops or when the come in to GC. Its good to hear that the Cobra is step up from the Uber because I loved the amp but you can tell something was missing so maybe the Cobra has that missing link.
What the hell? They're discontinuing the 6505?
Link or it's not happening. :/

Thanks for the help everyone.
Quote by Brian 1.0

Quote by napalm_monkey

Quote by thomaserak
Last edited by tomisfatt01 at Dec 23, 2008,
Quote by tomisfatt01
What the hell? They're discontinuing the 6505?
Link or it's not happening. :/

Thanks for the help everyone.

I don't have a link I told you my peavey dealer got the memo. But say you don't believe me.. understandable. Just think about it. How many bands you go see that have the regular one and not the 6505+? How many stores you go to that even have the regular one? A lot of places don't. The sales on the 6505 are very low they are losing money by making them. the 6505+ is what 90% of people buy when they buy a new 6505.
When I first got a JSX I liked it more than my 6505 actually. But at the time I wasn't in a band. I got back in a band and realized why the 6505 is the beast that it is. It drives much more. But the JSX is way tighter. At high volume though the JSX just doesn't sound as good as the 6505 to me. It's not as brutal sounding for sure. THey sound perfect together though.
Fxck. I'm gonna be saving for about a year before I get it then. 6505+ it is. Or I could just go Bugera :p
Quote by Brian 1.0

Quote by napalm_monkey

Quote by thomaserak
Dude, just go used! You will save money and get the amp you want.
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
Nobody from around here sells amps dude. I would of definitely had a 6505 by now if they did. Or something better probably.
Quote by Brian 1.0

Quote by napalm_monkey

Quote by thomaserak