i am thinking about learning eruption by eddie van halen and i was wondering is it really difficult to learn how lond would it take if i practiced two hours everyday on it
learning eruption would TOTALLY set you apart from other aspiring shredders.
Quote by skankingeasy
I always thought Clapton never lived up to his potential.

Quote by Chrisiphone
My grandma didn't have built in effects

Quote by Gargantuan

We are not worthy

Quote by Scoopy_3
A7x own!!!

^the ultimate argument agaisnt a7x.
Last edited by turtlicorn at Dec 23, 2008,
it's not that hard (you're posting in advanced techniques so i'm going to assume you're pretty good), as long as you spend a bit of time on it doing it properly. if you practiced two hours every day it wouldn't take long at all
Quote by Jackal58
I only judge people based upon the color of their skin.

Quote by Kilty Boxers
id like to shave my balls, but i always cut myself and when i do my shaver is like om nom nom testicle skin.
Quote by breezy978
i am thinking about learning eruption by eddie van halen and i was wondering is it really difficult to learn how lond would it take if i practiced two hours everyday on it

If your inspired to play it.... go for it. If it's too difficult...... come back to it later.

You won't know if you don't try.

PS... most of the people that say its "easy".... often can't actually play it themselves. That's what I've found anyway. To play it accurately and to make it sound like EVH is quite challenging, even for "advanced" players. Still, if you've been playing for awhile, and you really like the way eruption sounds, it can't hurt you to try it.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Dec 23, 2008,
Quote by guitarmunky
PS... most of the people that say its "easy".... can't actually play it themselves. That's what I've found anyway. To play it accurately and to make it sound like EVH is quite challenging, even for "advanced" players.

^makes a good point. its not hard to play, but to make it sound proper and accurate takes skill. just wanking on it so its recognizable isnt hard at all.
Quote by skankingeasy
I always thought Clapton never lived up to his potential.

Quote by Chrisiphone
My grandma didn't have built in effects

Quote by Gargantuan

We are not worthy

Quote by Scoopy_3
A7x own!!!

^the ultimate argument agaisnt a7x.
Quote by GuitarMunky
PS... most of the people that say its "easy".... often can't actually play it themselves. That's what I've found anyway. To play it accurately and to make it sound like EVH is quite challenging, even for "advanced" players. Still, if you've been playing for awhile, and you really like the way eruption sounds, it can't hurt you to try it.

the entire song is very hard in my opinion (i can play fast enough for my standards cause i like the blues and everything)
BUT, the tapping part is VERY easy lol.
i learned that on guitar after id been playing for 2 months....full speed too.

try the tapping part, it sounds awsome and its not hard at all.
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic

If your inspired to play it.... go for it. If it's too difficult...... come back to it later.

You won't know if you don't try.

+1 to GM.
Quote by 12345abcd3

Perhaps you should check your own post for grammar.

I was imitating TS, but fair play
The hardest part of it is going to be learning all those notes. When I finally learned all of it and got to where i could play it to where it sounded good (not perfect) people were amazed so have at it and good luck
The thing with Eruption is... it's not a difficult piece of music to play and make your own.
However to make it sound like the original EVH version, now that's difficult.

However, just go for it. It didn't take me long to grasp it (but to be fair I never learn the solos 100%, I learn the main motifs and improvise my ass round the rest)
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
playing it is mildly difficult if oyur new, i learned a few years back busted my ass off and it still sounded like crap, but if your looking for something to help kind of get you going on your speed go for it. it's a nice motivational tool
I know parts of it, its fun to play so why not learn it? (I should really learn the rest too)
I think it's too cliche...but that's just my opinion...

I think whatever inspires u to play, play it!

Whether that's EVH, Sesame street or whatever...

But don't expect people to freak out when they see/hear u play it... especially for guitarists, we've seen it too many times before...

Be creative...modify the crap out of it and make it your bitch! Make your own version and called it Ejaculation =) Cos we all know that EVH was thinkin that instead..
Quote by GuitarMunky

why do you want to sound like EVH? nothing against him atleast.

i get no fulfillment in playing any song exactly like the original, its only fun to make it sound like YOU, not someone else.

for example, i changed up the tapping part of crazy train because it felt to well structured compared to the rest of the solo. its hard to explain

maybe thats just me.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
its easier thn it sounds, but do wht makes u happy...thts my philosophy about guitar
sloppy fast pentatonics, dive bombs--->tremolo picking--->more sloppy careening pentatonic bull****, trills--->TAPPING TAPPING TAPPING HOLY COW, and done

eruption is not a hard piece to learn. it was hard to learn back when shred had yet to come (and then go and then come back again) and licks had to be learned by ear. its still one of those seminal pieces for aspiring guitarists (the tapping part anyhow) but its pretty far down on the ladder as technique-building pieces pieces go, tapping aint that hard to do and the rest of the track is raw and sloppy. which is cool. but as a technique thing that particular track got pretty much outclassed by like every guitarist in LA by the mid-eighties, including EVH himself. like it was a good start but i dont get why people talk about it 30 years later like playing it is still some huge indicator of virtuosity.
Quote by yenners

Be creative...modify the crap out of it and make it your bitch! Make your own version and called it Ejaculation =) Cos we all know that EVH was thinkin that instead..

!

I just might do that now y'know.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
Just do it. But don't get depressed if you don't get it right away.
"I am a remnant of the Forever Origin"

"The forest of October sleeps silent when I depart
The web of time hides my last trace
My blaze travel the last universe
Like the sights of magic
Wrapped in aeons
My mind is one with my soul"