Today's my birthday and my parents got me a Crybaby Wah. Everything works fine but when I move the pedal up or down, I get some noise coming through the amp. Is this because of the amp or the pedal?

Actually, the noise (a light scratching sound) only comes through if I'm playing notes. If I mute the strings and then strum, the noise doesn't get through. It's really irritating

Also, there's some white stuff on the wheel on the inside... what's that about?
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
It could be a dirty pot on the wah or a squeaky hinge on the pedal.

I have my Crybaby start squeaking once. I got some teflon spray and sprayed the hinge where the pedal meets the base and it worked great.

A crackling pot can be cleaned with contact cleaner.
Before you go that far, you may just be able to clean it out by repeatedly moving the pedal up and down to get the dirt out of the pot.
well the white stuff is cum
Gear:
Fender MIA Strat w/EMG SA's
Fender Super 60
Boss RT-20 Rotary Sim
Ibanez AD-9 Analog Delay
EHX Big Muff

"Doctor Kindly Tell Your Wife
That I'm Alive, Flowers Thrive
Realise, Realise, Realise"
Quote by enemy120
well the white stuff is cum

I couldn't help but laugh
Very nice. Very smooth >.>

The white crap is typical of all Dunlop Wahs. I use a CFH Dime Wah and it has the same white goop in it. I may be wrong, but I'm guessing it's a type of grease to keep the pedal rocking smooth.
And depending on what type of music you play, what guitar n amp you use, the noise could just be from feedbackor something else. I know if you play any type of metal with single-coil pickups through my wah, when you press it forward it just emphasizes the hum into a buzzing sound
its normal, because a wah is really a tone knob in a pedal
lemme explain:

toe=high frequencies
heel=low frequencies

toe>heel>toe>heel etc etc =wah wah

happens in my vox wah, and it has that white stuff too, didnt have a kleenex
Quote by MT in Austin
It could be a dirty pot on the wah or a squeaky hinge on the pedal.

I have my Crybaby start squeaking once. I got some teflon spray and sprayed the hinge where the pedal meets the base and it worked great.

A crackling pot can be cleaned with contact cleaner.
Before you go that far, you may just be able to clean it out by repeatedly moving the pedal up and down to get the dirt out of the pot.

The wah doesn't make any noise whatsoever by itself, so the hinges don't creak or squeak.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']
And depending on what type of music you play, what guitar n amp you use, the noise could just be from feedbackor something else. I know if you play any type of metal with single-coil pickups through my wah, when you press it forward it just emphasizes the hum into a buzzing sound
I haven't played any metal with the wah yet. I've been testing it out with some blues and funk so I really doubt it's feedback. The amp starts scratching when I play any note at any volume while pressing the wah up or down...
I'm gonna test it with another amp soon so that might help me figure out what the problem is...
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
The white stuff is white lithium grease by the way.

Sound like you have a dirty wah pot. Clean it up.