I am going to be building a custom guitar.i hate typing so soon so lets get to specs

BODY: Ash or alder..what do you think? clear coated
Neck: Maple,rosewood fretboard,premade off stew-mac,cusom headstock
Setup: 1 vol, 2 tone, 5 way selector
Pickups: H-S-S Zebra humbucker
Bridge: Gotoh tune o matic (stewmac)
Tuners: Off my old guitar

template
are these furrels (sp?) to close/far away?
furrels (sp?) and bridge
hers my guitar as is,will take the humbucker and the 1 sungle off it..maybe
http://s325.photobucket.com/albums/k371/nowa90/?action=view&current=DSC03662.jpg
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Last edited by nowa90 at Dec 23, 2008,
so thats what the guitar is now in the picture and your turning it into what your describing?

im confused, but the body looks nice in my opinion
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
are u doin a custom body shape too?
and i suggest not going with screwmac, a lot of ppl on UG will agree. try all parts, wdmusic, warmoth, ebay...musiciansfriend...ebay especially for the TuneOMatic, i got a roller TOM for like 20 bucks compared to 50 bucks everywhere else.
yea, the body is basically custom..i traced my guitar, then scooped like 2mm from each inner horn, and added all the contour except for the back and top right were you're arm goes.

I was thinking a www.guitarfetish.com bridge,they're like 13-15 bucks, with better pics.
What do you guys think of the legth of the ferrules? Are they too near/far away? i wrote the length on the page

p.s. the templat is 1:1 , and maybe 3mm off from the original, but i customed some of it so..
christ no on the guitarfetish parts!!! Their bridges suck! check ebay or allparts. if you go with allparts, pm nuthinbuttrubl8 (phil) to order them. he can get a discount
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Stew Mac stuff is fine, hard ware is cheap, tools are a bit pricey.

Definatly go with decent hardware like GOTOH for a bridge, non of this guitar fetish no name $hit

and yes those ferrules look too close to the bridge, basically you want it so the string comes off of the saddle on the bridge and down at an angle so that it doesnt touch the side of the bridge.

I would install your bridge, and then get a peice of string and work out how far back the ferrules need to be so they only touch the saddle, and then drill the holes.

Are you making the body from scratch? I'm also confused on this...

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
i like the body. as for ferrule length, i know dean guitars have a pretty long distance and wide headstock's because stretching the strings over a larger distance improves sustain. i would think it is quite important to keep it from hitting the edge of the bridge, but i dont imagine it would make a huge difference.
Quote by LP Addict
your center line is soooo offf
well i mesurd(sp? i now how, i forget now) and divided it by 2, and thats where i got it

i traced my guitar
added those contour lines, scooped into the horns
then im ging to put it on a body blank,cut, and do the rest

Quote by EclipseNine
i like the body. as for ferrule length, i know dean guitars have a pretty long distance and wide headstock's because stretching the strings over a larger distance improves sustain. i would think it is quite important to keep it from hitting the edge of the bridge, but i dont imagine it would make a huge difference.

do one of your deans have a string thru? if it does, can u mesure the length from the middle or the ferrule to the middle of the bridge like i did? thanks
Last edited by nowa90 at Dec 24, 2008,
Guitar fetish has quality parts don't listen to what the others have said. I've used their pickups, bridges, tuners, pickguards, control plates..etc. I've never had a problem with any of them and I know lots of people that swear by thier goods.
I would avoid Warmoth you'll pay way too much for something you could get somewhere else.
Do shop ebay, I've found lots of good deals however you have to know what your looking for as far as fakes and rip offs.
Quote by Kill Rockstar
Guitar fetish has quality parts don't listen to what the others have said. I've used their pickups, bridges, tuners, pickguards, control plates..etc. I've never had a problem with any of them and I know lots of people that swear by thier goods.
I would avoid Warmoth you'll pay way too much for something you could get somewhere else.
Do shop ebay, I've found lots of good deals however you have to know what your looking for as far as fakes and rip offs.

for the bridges? i already said, i cant do ebay, or else i probably would

i'll go on allparts.ca (.com?) now
Quote by nowa90

do one of your deans have a string thru? if it does, can u mesure the length from the middle or the ferrule to the middle of the bridge like i did? thanks

alright, my razorback has got a v shaped ferrule pattern. the closest two come in at 4.5 cm behind the bridge, and the farthest pair come in at 6 centimeters back from the bridge. give or take a millimeter or two, the ruler i grabbed is cheap and a little warped.
Here is my opinion on parts. You get what you pay for. I've seen tons of stewmac bashing and i really don't understand why. Their website is easy to navigate, their customer service is great to deal with, their prices are low on most things and all of their hardware is high quality. guitarfetish is decent, but once again you get what you pay for, Their chroming is low quality and their gold hardware dulls after only a short period of use. I've been pleased with their customer service as well though, Whenever I've dealt with them they've been easy and understanding.
ordered some parts from stewmac, and im pretty happy with what i got. i didn't order anything big like a bridge or pickups, but the pots and wiring kit i got are excellent in quality.