So I just started wondering how many frets does my guitar have in theory, if I had to note the sound to the tab. I think with putting my finger ON the 2nd fret, I can produce a triple octave from F#. Am I right? Is this the highest sound the guitar can get?
no, because technically you could have a 1,000,000,000 fret guitar and that still would be the highest, it would just be like a supersonic note only dogs could hear lol
Smart Pothead and Proud
i know in the slide solo from Layla, Duane Allman hits 38, but I'm pretty sure theres something above 40 in there too. It's tabbed out in I think the May 2007 Guitar World
Quote by skankingeasy
I always thought Clapton never lived up to his potential.

Quote by Chrisiphone
My grandma didn't have built in effects

Quote by Gargantuan

We are not worthy

Quote by Scoopy_3
A7x own!!!

^the ultimate argument agaisnt a7x.
Yes, you can produce above 40, but then you're out of the fretboard, aren't you? On the frets, it seems to me, that 38 is the max.
Quote by Amarant
So I just started wondering how many frets does my guitar have in theory, if I had to note the sound to the tab. I think with putting my finger ON the 2nd fret, I can produce a triple octave from F#. Am I right? Is this the highest sound the guitar can get?

well i dont know if you can actually consider harmonics as "extra frets" but if you see it that way then the guitar would have almost 40 frets.
Quote by turtlicorn
i know in the slide solo from Layla, Duane Allman hits 38, but I'm pretty sure theres something above 40 in there too. It's tabbed out in I think the May 2007 Guitar World

Lowell george from little feat used to slide up really high like near the bridge. I have a rare live dvd of them playing in germany its awsome. If u like duane Allman be sure to check little feat out if you havent already. They are one of those bands that sound 10 times better in live recordings then in the studio. The studio recordings of them looses all the magic.
38 frets? guitars normally have around 22-24 frets. implied fretting is used by pulling a slide up past the fret board to where the fret would exist if it were there (you can use your finger technically but it won't really ring out)

my guitar has 22 frets but often times if needed i'll pull it up to the target pitch past the fretboard and trem pick the note to get it to ring out.