Two standard answers to this question that I have a problem with are:
1) that you should spend more money on your amp than your electric guitar (reportedly twice as much if not more), and
2) that you should buy a certain type of electric guitar based on the style of music you want to play.

For the first statement that you spend more on your amp I say...." the instrument you're playing is the guitar, not the amplifier". This instrument is responsible for the core sounds you'll produce with it and its quality level will be directly responsible for the amount of pleasure or frustration you get while playing it. A high quality guitar will last a lifetime, retain its value, provide maximum playing satisfaction and it'll also sound better. With the advances in electronic mass production of tube amps, DSPs, and solid state tube emulation, it's a lot easier to get good quality amplifiers for well under a $1000.00 CDN these days. Personally, $500.00 guitars do not impress someone who's owned/played an American Stratocaster, Gibson Les Paul or a G&L for example but once you break the $1000.00 level you start to get into serious guitar territory!

For the second statement that the style of music determines the guitar, again I say..."hogwash!".
Hollowbody guitars have been successfully used for pretty hard rock (Cult, Nugent for eg.) despite being thought of as Blues or Jazz guitars. Jimmy Page did most of his studio recording on a Telecaster in the early Zepplin days and the Tele is regarded as "the" country guitar. Zack Wilde shreds effortlessly on a Les Paul not an Ibanez, ESP or other designated "Metal" guitar. Upper fret access is overrated and many timeless guitar solos don't go anywhere near the 22nd - 24th frets! Tony Iomni invented Metal on an SG and Judas Priest used Hammer guitars which are based on Gibson designs. You should pick a guitar based on what qualities you like in a guitar; scale length, pickup types, bridge styles, fingerboard woods etc. I've owned many guitars over the years and unfortunately I often based my decision on looks more than substance before learning what felt good to me. Now I know that for me, I prefer a shorter scale for bending, vibrato and easier reach, bare wood fingerboards (Rosewood or Ebony), Tune-O-Matic style bridges for tuning stability and humbucking pickups for hotter output and thicker sound. Knowing this helps me determine what kind of guitar I should buy and the same approach can work for others too.
So, in conclusion, I say learn what these differences mean to a guitar, and compare them to what you think you want out of a guitar and before you know it, you'll have answered your own question.
Moving on.....
nice
Gear:
Ibanez RG3EX1
Squier Strat (Undergoing Black strat relic)
Line 6 Spider III
Sqiuer SP-10

PSN: Thrasher122
well i have a bc rich metal master warlock, an esp-ex 260, a rhoads rx10d, and a shecter damien 6. and i would have to say that the schecter blows them all away no competition. schecter omens c series damiens and hellraisers are the way to go bro
99 times out of 100, we get new players here. they all want to blow the budget on the guitar and wonder why the guitar sounds nothing like they expected.

so out come the what pup threads and what pedal threads.

adding hundreds to the cost of the cheap amp they just bought.

tbh, i'm not sure who's saying to spend 2x as much on an amp vs guitar. but imo, you should get a guitar suited to your playing needs and should spend at least as much on the amp as the guitar.

unless you intend on getting a straight out starter, home practice amp.
in that case a mico cube or similar is fine.

a quality amp will also last a lifetime.
and getting a guitar with the right style bridge and pup configuration is important.

and ken wow, what was this?

Personally, $500.00 guitars do not impress someone who's owned/played an American Stratocaster, Gibson Les Paul or a G&L for example but once you break the $1000.00 level you start to get into serious guitar territory!

i dont know. i'm not going to pick the whole post apart, but i've got a lot of problems with what you're saying.

imo, it's worse than blanketing every post with generic "what's ur amp?", imo.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Dec 23, 2008,
tl;dr
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
I can't remember exactly who has stated 2x as much either as I've seen it quoted (mis-quoted?) too many times. Over the years I've owned a two Fender amps (Twin & Vibrolux or Tremolux), a 100W Traynor 2x12, a Music Man RD50, old Style Cube 60, and the two I own now. When I bought my Peavey Bravo112, (all tube -22WRMS EL84 1x12" speaker) it cost less than $500.00 new and my American Strat cost $1100.00 new at the same time. I would spend 1000.00 on a guitar to get something good, but in an amp's case, that kind of money generally gets me more power than the (30 - 50W) I'd need to gig if I still played live. My current Guiatrs are around $1500 - $1700.00 each and there's no way I'd need an amp that expensive to play in a band!

BTW I didn't intend to flame anyones guitar here as they represent good value for your first or second instrument. I'm just stating (IMO) that once you've played high quality instruments it's easier to see the difference in the less expensive models. If there were none, no one would be buying them.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Dec 23, 2008,
yeah but most guys i know, dont need a $1,700 guitar to play in a band.

i'm also against a closet full of garbage gear.

but, most of the time around here, guys get a $500 guitar and an MG.

and that's it. this isnt a big gear site.

if i can convice a kid to get a quality amp, that he wont outgrow in 6 months, i'm saving him money in the long run.

also, most of these guys dont realize for how little they can pick up a good american made strat.
in most places that have access to CL. $600usd.
i have two on my list from just today. more hanging on walls at local shops.

no need to spend a grand to get a good guitar.

if your definition of a good guitar is one over a grand.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

New guitar! Used is a different story. Considering a Les Paul is more than 4000.00 here in Canada and it's around 1900.00 for a new American Strat, 1K is not out of line and certainly not top of the line!
Moving on.....
let me be clear, most of the time, in EG, guys are working with a limited budget.

so saying that they should skip the intermediate amp in an effort to get the $1,000 guitar, doesn't jive.

they are happy with their $500 guitar, because in most cases, they are working in a limited budget, and even if they bought a guitar a NO amp. they still wouldnt get the $1,000 guitar.

so, for example, like in many cases, if they are working with a $600 budget and like classic rock.

a $300 used MIM fender strat and a $300-350 used blues junior is an excellent choice.

buying a $500 whatever guitar and a vox starter amp just doesnt make sense.

i can rattle off hundreds of times when blowing the budget on a guitar doesnt help the ts get the most for his money.

especially if he's in a band.

a $1,000 guitar is still silent when no one can hear you over your drummer.

all US prices and availability.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
The Les Paul is a metal guitar in my eyes.
Pretty much every 80's metal/hard rock band used one.

And Strat or similar styles were used by many 80's shredders (thanks to Eddie VH)!
Have you ever seen Joe Bonamassa play? There was a CD included with an issue of Guitar World a few months ago (Lenny Kravitz also in it), and Joe was playing some pretty mean blues stuff on his Les Paul. He also wails ona a Strat pretty good and was voted Guitarist of the year last year I believe. Check him out sometime.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
And Strat or similar styles were used by many 80's shredders (thanks to Eddie VH)!
Have you ever seen Joe Bonamassa play? There was a CD included with an issue of Guitar World a few months ago (Lenny Kravitz also in it), and Joe was playing some pretty mean blues stuff on his Les Paul. He also wails ona a Strat pretty good and was voted Guitarist of the year last year I believe. Check him out sometime.

Hey man, you don't need to tell me that. I play metal and rock all the time on my white, maple Strat
Quote by jj1565
let me be clear, most of the time, in EG, guys are working with a limited budget.

so saying that they should skip the intermediate amp in an effort to get the $1,000 guitar, doesn't jive.

they are happy with their $500 guitar, because in most cases, they are working in a limited budget, and even if they bought a guitar a NO amp. they still wouldnt get the $1,000 guitar.

so, for example, like in many cases, if they are working with a $600 budget and like classic rock.

a $300 used MIM fender strat and a $300-350 used blues junior is an excellent choice.

buying a $500 whatever guitar and a vox starter amp just doesnt make sense.

i can rattle off hundreds of times when blowing the budget on a guitar doesnt help the ts get the most for his money.

especially if he's in a band.

a $1,000 guitar is still silent when no one can hear you over your drummer.

all US prices and availability.

1000.00 CDN is less 800 USD! You're still telling people what to buy and more importantly you telling them what not to buy! If someone can afford it, they're entitled to buy new or more expensive instruments or at least know they exist without being told it's a waste of their money. There are advantages, like warranty coverage. I also read of UG'ers buying these less expensive guitars then putting 200.00 into replacing the PUs when they find they don't like the sound or complaining that their guitars don't stay in tune (which is not always due to setup). My post was that people should learn the differences, decide for themselves & not just take other's advice. Not all new guitarists are "kids" as you say and while I am an old guy, I'm sure there are UG'ers out there that are older as well.
Moving on.....
I have mixed feeling about the first post. I certainly think that hollowbody/semi-hollowbody guitars are great for harder rock tones, and you can certainly shred on Les Pauls and Strats (I'm mainly a Strat player and I'd dare say playing Eric Johnson/Carl Verheyen stuff counts as "shred"), but in most cases, guitars aimed at a particular genre excel in that genre for reasons. Alot of hard rock guitarsist don't use semi-hollowbody/hollowbody guitars due to feedback issues, which don't arise is most areas of jazz. Thin, flat necks, tall frets and good upper fret access are common features of guitars designed for the shred/metal genres, because they allow the player to retain a natural hand position and play with least effort.

In short, what I'm saying is that if you want to play a certain genre, you don't have to limit your search of guitars to guitars aimed at that genre, but it's certainly a good place to start.

As for spending more on the guitar than the amp, I have to disagree. I'm doing most of my playing on a Fender American Standard Strat through a Cornford Hellcat halfstack. I bought the Strat used for €600, and it sounds as good or better than any other American Std I've played. I paid nearly €3k for the amp, and I don't regret doing it. To get good tone, you will need a good amp. To get great tone, you need a great amp.

As for $500 guitars not impressing you, well you're playing the wrong $500 guitars. Used '80s MIJ Squiers and Tokais can be bought for about $400 or less, and some that I've played put some Custom Shop Fenders I've played to shame. While I do have plans to order a custom guitar (probably a Suhr) next year which will probably cost me about €4k, I still intend to snap up and modify a used MIJ Squier/Tokai or two if I have the time and money to spare. I guarantee you I could find a guitar for €400 and spend €600 on modifications and be left with a guitar that's much nicer than €1k guitar stock.

Hell, I was in a guitar store yesterday and played three Squier Bullets that were an absolute joy to play, very nice necks on all of them. The pickups, bridge, etc can all be changed.

As for how I choose guitars, usually maple necks, 25.5" scale, 9.5" radius or flatter, 1.65" or so at the nut, resonant body. That's about it. Anything else I can change.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
ts speaks the truth
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
Quote by KenG
1000.00 CDN is less 800 USD! You're still telling people what to buy and more importantly you telling them what not to buy!

people come here for suggestions. take those threads away, that's half the threads gone and we can just have, FOB threads.

If someone can afford it, they're entitled to buy new or more expensive instruments or at least know they exist without being told it's a waste of their money.

first thing we ask is budget. if someone can afford it, then the guys WANT TO suggest higher end gear. what threads are you in, where a guy has a $1,000 budget for a guitar, and guys are suggesting starters?

There are advantages, like warranty coverage.

warranty for what? What on a guitar can't be fixed for less that the cost of an overpriced gibson? even an epi comes with a lifetime warranty.

I also read of UG'ers buying these less expensive guitars then putting 200.00 into replacing the PUs

yes when they blame their guitar, and not their amp.

when they find they don't like the sound or complaining that their guitars don't stay in tune (which is not always due to setup).

only cheap starter guitars have tuning problems, not related to setup. Most, if not all, $400-500 guitars come with grovers or similar.

My post was that people should learn the differences, decide for themselves & not just take other's advice.

of course people "should" play as many guitars as possible. but they come here for suggestions, and some cases live in areas where they can't try any guitars at alll. i guess if a guy wants to post and run out and buy one type based on one guys say so, then that's his problem.

Not all new guitarists are "kids" as you say and while I am an old guy, I'm sure there are UG'ers out there that are older as well.

no but the majority of new guys, new players, and players looking at starter to intermediate gear here are kids. every once in a blue moon, we get an older guy looking for better than intermediate gear, as his first rig, but that's so rare.

ken, i told you in my first post i dont really feel like taking apart your posts. but it's like every single sentance is the exact opposite of what's going on in EG.

anyway, whatever
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Dec 23, 2008,
You're pretty on the ball with this thread. I've really lost faith in this site as a place for honest, sound advice. Everytime I see a new guitar/amp thread, its just full of "MG sux, Line 6 spider sux, Dean Sux".

I know for a fact that most of these people have never played the gear they are talking about. Its just an "unwritten rule" that if the other UGers don't like it, it sucks. Its subjective, especially with guitar tone.

I also made a thread relating to pickups, and I explicitly asked to leave the amp out of it. Immediatly comes a "get a new amp" reply...
Quote by jj1565
99 times out of 100, we get new players here. they all want to blow the budget on the guitar and wonder why the guitar sounds nothing like they expected.

so out come the what pup threads and what pedal threads.

adding hundreds to the cost of the cheap amp they just bought.

tbh, i'm not sure who's saying to spend 2x as much on an amp vs guitar. but imo, you should get a guitar suited to your playing needs and should spend at least as much on the amp as the guitar.

unless you intend on getting a straight out starter, home practice amp.
in that case a mico cube or similar is fine.

a quality amp will also last a lifetime.
and getting a guitar with the right style bridge and pup configuration is important.

and ken wow, what was this?

i dont know. i'm not going to pick the whole post apart, but i've got a lot of problems with what you're saying.

imo, it's worse than blanketing every post with generic "what's ur amp?", imo.

+1 (and your other posts too)

i know what you're saying about $500 guitars, but if you're buying, say, a tyler, you should probably be spending a fair whack on an amp too.

Quote by Prophet of Page
I have mixed feeling about the first post. I certainly think that hollowbody/semi-hollowbody guitars are great for harder rock tones, and you can certainly shred on Les Pauls and Strats (I'm mainly a Strat player and I'd dare say playing Eric Johnson/Carl Verheyen stuff counts as "shred"), but in most cases, guitars aimed at a particular genre excel in that genre for reasons. Alot of hard rock guitarsist don't use semi-hollowbody/hollowbody guitars due to feedback issues, which don't arise is most areas of jazz. Thin, flat necks, tall frets and good upper fret access are common features of guitars designed for the shred/metal genres, because they allow the player to retain a natural hand position and play with least effort.

In short, what I'm saying is that if you want to play a certain genre, you don't have to limit your search of guitars to guitars aimed at that genre, but it's certainly a good place to start.

As for spending more on the guitar than the amp, I have to disagree. I'm doing most of my playing on a Fender American Standard Strat through a Cornford Hellcat halfstack. I bought the Strat used for €600, and it sounds as good or better than any other American Std I've played. I paid nearly €3k for the amp, and I don't regret doing it. To get good tone, you will need a good amp. To get great tone, you need a great amp.

As for $500 guitars not impressing you, well you're playing the wrong $500 guitars. Used '80s MIJ Squiers and Tokais can be bought for about $400 or less, and some that I've played put some Custom Shop Fenders I've played to shame. While I do have plans to order a custom guitar (probably a Suhr) next year which will probably cost me about €4k, I still intend to snap up and modify a used MIJ Squier/Tokai or two if I have the time and money to spare. I guarantee you I could find a guitar for €400 and spend €600 on modifications and be left with a guitar that's much nicer than €1k guitar stock.

Hell, I was in a guitar store yesterday and played three Squier Bullets that were an absolute joy to play, very nice necks on all of them. The pickups, bridge, etc can all be changed.

As for how I choose guitars, usually maple necks, 25.5" scale, 9.5" radius or flatter, 1.65" or so at the nut, resonant body. That's about it. Anything else I can change.

also +1, good point about the "wrong" $500 guitars. I have a couple of guitars which I've picked up at good prices (edwards, tokai strat, couple of patrick eggles), and they're easily the equal of a lot of other guitars on the market which are a LOT more expensive.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Again mixing used guitar prices with new guitar prices. Different rules! That's OK though I knew this would stir up some controversy with the established line of thought.
Moving on.....
i know what you're saying, and i agree up to a point. but i also think you're wrong up to a point too. I think the thing is that it's not black and white, and anyone playing a squier (non-JV/japanese) through a soldano, or playing a tyler through an MG, is probably a bit daft... they're extremes which shouldn't happen in the real world. depends on the music you play too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?