Im interested in getting a bass synth pedal. Which one in your opinion is the best. The digitech envelope filter looks like it would do a good job. Could i get some opinions on the boss synth too? I want to spend around 150 bucks tops. Any suggestions are appreciated
Member #8 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to join.

Quote by GuitarHero0715
The most ****ed up thing a woman can to do a man is give your d!ck an indian burn, or bite it off.

Only bassist of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
I have the Digitech bass synth wah and I love it. It has 7 settings and alot of diffrent sounds. It can also double as an octaver
1. Envelop filter
2. envlope filter +octaver
3. synth 1
4. synth 2
5. wierd filter 1
6. wierd filter 2
7. Ocatver and filter

its a very versatile peadal and it's cheap. I played the boss synth too and I liked it as well, it was more of a synth than an envlope filter, if that's what you're looking for
What kind of synth sounds do you want to produce? Different pedals or combinations of pedals can be better at different sounds.
Im just looking for something thats real versatile...like the ehx micro synth, but thats too pricey Im thinking digitech or boss. If anybody knows of other brands that are good let me know

Quote by GuitarHero0715
The most ****ed up thing a woman can to do a man is give your d!ck an indian burn, or bite it off.

Is that Boss SYB5 synth really better than the EHX one?

The tones on the boss youtube video are WAY better than the EHX ones, but this could just be that the player for the EHX video doesn't understand why people use bass synths...
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
As of now Im trying to decide between digitech and boss. Does anybody have any other brands that are good and cost about 150 bucks tops? If not then which in your opinion is better digitech or boss. thanks

Quote by GuitarHero0715

Have a look at the Ibanez SB7

I Haven't Played the Digitech, But i didn't like the boss, the tracking wasn't good enough in my opinion

The Ibanez Doesn't have the tracking errors, and sounded better to my ear. It also Has an Autowah mode.
+1 for the Ibanez. It's completely analog, so there are NO tracking errors like you'll get with the other two at all. Plus, you can use double stops and chords. I think it sounds better too...because it's not digital, there are no breaks in the signal like digital pedals have. It gives a much cleaner sound.
Nope, no sig here.
I'm still liking the boss pedal more, it the LFO and cutoff are controllable by an expression pedal - this is going to make way cooler sounds.
If only it had enevlope generators...
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
Quote by fortysix&2
I'm still liking the boss pedal more, it the LFO and cutoff are controllable by an expression pedal - this is going to make way cooler sounds.
If only it had enevlope generators...

I'd recommend away from it due to the tracking.

If you really want to try it though, then Behringer now produce a 'remarkably similar' pedal.

It will likely be an exact copy of the boss pedal, but with cheaper components. Wouldn't reccomend it as a serious purchase, but it could be a cheap way of trying out the sounds for you.
Quote by Ryker24
I have the Digitech bass synth wah and I love it. It has 7 settings and alot of diffrent sounds. It can also double as an octaver
1. Envelop filter
2. envlope filter +octaver
3. synth 1
4. synth 2
5. wierd filter 1
6. wierd filter 2
7. Ocatver and filter

its a very versatile peadal and it's cheap. I played the boss synth too and I liked it as well, it was more of a synth than an envlope filter, if that's what you're looking for

This. I own the digitech envelope filter and it has a lot of great sounds to play with! Well worth the $90 I paid for it!
Based on the price of the ibanez i would think that its not that good of quality...does it have an array of effects or is it just a few. If it has a variety of effects i may consider that.

Quote by GuitarHero0715

Quote by Chunky_Lover
Based on the price of the ibanez i would think that its not that good of quality...does it have an array of effects or is it just a few. If it has a variety of effects i may consider that.

The ibanez is basically a distortion/fuzz effect with a filter. That's why its all analogue and has not tracking issues

Have you listened to the samples on the ibanez website?
Anyone got any tips on how to get this type of synth sound through Guitar Rig software?
Quote by Chunky_Lover

I've got the PD-7, which is in the same series, and believe me the quality is fine. I know it looks like plastic, but it's all-aluminum and everything is solid. The Tone-Loc thing comes in handy, too. And yes, it has plenty of settings. It's not a MFX, but it's pretty versatile.

Quote by Jateca
The ibanez is basically a distortion/fuzz effect with a filter. That's why its all analogue and has not tracking issues

Have you listened to the samples on the ibanez website?

...most synth pedals are a type of distortion.

What's wrong with it?
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Dec 26, 2008,
i once bought the digitech envelop filter thing..it has a bunch of effects, but i dont think they are worth it. i used it once, and havent used it since. i think its probably the most useless pedal. id get a nice od or fuzz pedal before a synth..... but if you have a good use, or find a good use, the digitech once is decent.
Quote by Mutant Corn

What's wrong with it?

Where on earth did I say there was anything wrong with it?

Just an observation, it's not actual synthesis like the Akai Deep Impact or Korg G5 pedals, its an emulation of synthesis.

In many cases, my favourite 'synth' tones are best produced with a fuzz and octaver, similar to the EHX bass microsynth. I never quite got on with that pedal though, I prefer using several individual pedals fore more control.

In the OP's price range, I'd probably recommend the Ibanez pedal.
Quote by Darknives
Anyone got any tips on how to get this type of synth sound through Guitar Rig software?

In GR3, I've found the Bass Microsynth model to be very tweakable. It'll do most stuff, with a bit of care on the settings. If I need more, I usually stack up the Z.Vex delay model for some of its' weirder abilities. Sometimes the basic soundshaping patches like the notch filter can help to get things in control. Or further out...