Hey guys

I am going to get a new tube head soon and I want your opinion!

I am stuck between a few different ones:

- The Marshall TSL100 head

- The Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier head

- The Peavey 6505+ head

I play lead guitar in a band and I am gigging so I need the volume.

I play mainly Hard Rock/Metal like Metallica, Avenged Sevenfold, Bullet For My Valentine and Pantera.
I'd go for the Mesa.

I'm not a huge fan of Mesas really, but I don't really like Marshall's TSL line and I think the 6505 is too much of a one trick pony.

I'm not going to turn you away from buying a head but if you think you need a head and cab because you need the volume to gig, I can already tell right there that you've 1) never played a real gig in your life 2) have zero experience with different amps (trying them out at Guitar center doesn't count).
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 23, 2008,
Yeah there's no real difference in volume between those heads their combo counterparts, plus it would save you a healthy amount of money.
Though i'd go for the Mesa Boogie personally.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
I would recommend the Mesa as well. The 6505+ isn't necessarily a one-trick pony but I find it too dark for my taste. And the TSL doesn't compare to be honest.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by stradivari310
I would recommend the Mesa as well. The 6505+ isn't necessarily a one-trick pony but I find it too dark for my taste. And the TSL doesn't compare to be honest.

I... don't know about that, I like the flexibility of the TSL over the 6505, I've tried the 6505 back when it was still the 5150, and I'll say that if you're not playing metal on it, it doesn't really do much else.

I mean, sure you COULD play blues on it, but in the same vein, you COULD play metal on a Fender Deluxe Reverb too if you really wanted.
Quote by al112987
I... don't know about that, I like the flexibility of the TSL over the 6505, I've tried the 6505 back when it was still the 5150, and I'll say that if you're not playing metal on it, it doesn't really do much else.

I mean, sure you COULD play blues on it, but in the same vein, you COULD play metal on a Fender Deluxe Reverb too if you really wanted.

(+1)
the Mesa/Boogie Single Rectifier gets my vote..................

or a Used JSX for extra versatility..........just another suggestion
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Save your money and get a Rectoverb 2x12 and use the extra money for EQ Pedal/Bad Monkey.
If not, get the head.
Both the Single Rectifier or the 6505 would work well for those tones, but personally, I'd go with the Mesa. 50 watts will be more usable than 120, and it's a bit more versatile IMHO. You'll have plenty of gain either way though.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff