Does anyone know of any good way of getting faster at downstrokes, both this kind of thing
A----2----4----5------6-----------------------------------------
E-0----0----0----0-0---------------------------------------------

Or my main problem
C----------------------------------------
G-------5-4-----7-5----------------------------------------
C0000------00------00-5474------------------------------------------

When I play that riff it's kinda more like this.

C----------------------------------------
G-------5-4-----7-5----------------------------------------
C000 ------00------00-5474------------------------------------------

Which obviously sounds quite bad.

Now I know BFMV are kinda hated here, but it's a good technique to have, and I do quite like that riff.

So does anyone know good songs to practice that technique on (as in, slightly easier ones), or have any tips?

Thanks.

NL
not really related but how do you like your zoom g1x pedal? how is the expression pedal?
THOU SHALL NOT PASS!

My gear is not worth mentioning.
Does it have to be downstrokes? Alternate picking seems to be a good thing to use.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
i really enjoy playing this riff, u just need to build the speed up slowly, dont rush it! try to play "Unholy Confessions" or anything similar to that, once u got that down, try playing riffs such as the intro riff of master of puppets or this one! or u alternate, but doesnt sound too good to me on these riffs.. good luck!
I play that song using alternate picking but keep everything except the hammer ons palm muted.

It's a difficult song.
Quote by Chikao42
I play that song using alternate picking but keep everything except the hammer ons palm muted.

It's a difficult song.

haha no its not a difficult song.. once u got the downpicking speed, its pretty easy..
I alternate pick it and it sounds just the same...
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
Quote by Gregoric
I alternate pick it and it sounds just the same...

not really, down picking add a dynamic to the notes, Sound heavier
There's No School like Old School.

So yeah, i'm getting active again on this fucking website.

FACEBOOK
Quote by TechnoJesus™
not really related but how do you like your zoom g1x pedal? how is the expression pedal?

It's brilliant mate, some of the effects are a bit cheap, but it's like £40 and I've got this brilliant line up in the first 3 patches of:

Absolutely mega distortion (I'll message you how to make it if you do get the pedal)
Really awesome clean sound (I mainly just use it for the beginning of my curse xP)
WahWah sound which sounds perfect for soloing.

However.
The expression pedal on mine doesn't work.

But I have a friend who has one, the expression pedal DOES work, there's been no posts on forums that I've found about that problem, so I think I'm the only one. And on my friend's the expression pedal is great.

Also it has no off switch, you have to unplug it or leave it on.

On topic:
Thanks, for the advice, I'll just keep practicing

I have kind of found my left hand is at a higher skill level than my right hand...I always seem to screw up riffs because my right hand does something wrong .

Thanks again

EDIT: Oh and alternate picking it sounds bad, and I end up doing triplets where there should only be two palm mutes...whereas when I downpick, it might be slower, but I can do the G and high C string notes fine, and it sounds better overall.

NL
Use a metronome (there are online ones you can use), start off at a much slower tempo, then gradually (very gradually) build up the speed.

Thats really the only way to do it.
Quote by ginjaninja
Use a metronome (there are online ones you can use), start off at a much slower tempo, then gradually (very gradually) build up the speed.

Thats really the only way to do it.

I use my foot
But it's good advice, which I'm currently following
Quote by NinjaLamppost

On topic:
Thanks, for the advice, I'll just keep practicing

I have kind of found my left hand is at a higher skill level than my right hand...I always seem to screw up riffs because my right hand does something wrong .

That's not how it works, your individual hands don't have "skill levels" - only the guitarist him/herself. Your problem is that you're not good at using both hands together, so practice slowly so you can keep them in sync. The sooner you start approaching both hands as a unit the easier it'll be to rectify this kind of problem.

Quote by NinjaLamppost
Oh and alternate picking it sounds bad, and I end up doing triplets where there should only be two palm mutes...whereas when I downpick, it might be slower, but I can do the G and high C string notes fine, and it sounds better overall.

NL

Again, that's because you're playing too fast, it's nothing to do with alt picking vs downpicking. You're playing triplets because you don't have enough control over your picking hand therefore it's just doing what it's used to doing as opposed to what you want it to do. When you use downstrokes you're automatically playing at half the speed, and because you're playing slower you've got better control over your movements. If you use alternate picking but play at the speed at which you can currently downpick it I bet you'll be able to play the correct rhythm.

Basically everything goes back to one thing - you're trying to play something quickly before you've actually learned how to play it so you need to slow down.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Tis good advice mate, cheers

But ye...it doesn't seem to be as clear cut as my downstrokes being half the speed of my alternate picking...probably about 2/3 as fast

But I do completely get your point.
Also...I don't really want to play it alt anyway, cos it sounds bad lol.

And another thing...is that I did learn it slowly and speed up...probably speeding up about 10bpm after i nailed the first...I thought I could take it to full speed but I can't, it goes sloppy like I said, 3 instead of 4 and all that. So I can't really slow down again, because I'm already fine at those speeds.
I think what I'll do is just practice at full speed until I get it

Thanks again

NL
just practise, and use back/fourth picking and angle your handslightly towardds yourself when playing the 4 notes on the E string so you dont catch the A string.
ive watched Matt Tuck do this on BFMV's DVD.

D|----------------------------------------------|
A|----------------------------------------------|
F|----------------------------------------------|
C|----------------------------------------------|
F|-----------5p4------7p4--------------------|
G|---4444--------44-------5p4h7p4--------|

thats how its written in the song book for Scream Aimn fire, having the 4s rather than 0s makes it easier to play cos your hand is all in one place, and the strings rattle less, coz in drop C the the low E (or now low C) is really loose compared to tuned in E standard.
Haha my bad about the tab, I do play it on the 4th fret on the C string lol, my bad.

And Matt downstrokes it I think, and the issue I have with alternate picking it is it means you do this

down up down up on the C string, then down on the G string
down up on the C string, then down on the G string

The reason this is bad is I always catch the C string when I try to play the G string, whereas doing only downstrokes I don't

Also there's the sound problem, this is probably to do with my very cheap setup, but alternate picking sounds REALLY bad, and I like my stuff to sound good.
Other thing with alternate picking is that cos the string is so loose the pick catches waaay more...like I find playing stuff with triplets so much harder if I'm in a lower tuning than standard/drop d.

NL