is there a technique to finger picking solos?

i was told that when you're just finger picking a guitar in general, the thumb is assigned to strings 6, 5, and 4, while fingers 1, 2, and 3 are assigned to strings 3, 2, and 1 respectively. and that finger 4 isn't used. (which is fine with me, because i have little to no control over my right pinky finger at the moment.. lol)

so that's how i've been playing... but when i run into a solo, or say i just try playing a scale by finger picking (which i can do just fine with a flat pick), i get confused. halp?
but not all songs allow for you to pause and switch to a pick when the solo comes in. =P
The advice you were given is an extreme generalisation, really applicable to arpeggio style accompaniment only, even then it's a generalisation.
Classical and fingerstyle technique is far more involved and beyond the scope of this thread. Check out advice, in person, from a competent teacher.
Last edited by R.Christie at Dec 23, 2008,
Quote by tylerj26
is there a technique to finger picking solos?

i was told that when you're just finger picking a guitar in general, the thumb is assigned to strings 6, 5, and 4, while fingers 1, 2, and 3 are assigned to strings 3, 2, and 1 respectively. and that finger 4 isn't used. (which is fine with me, because i have little to no control over my right pinky finger at the moment.. lol)

so that's how i've been playing... but when i run into a solo, or say i just try playing a scale by finger picking (which i can do just fine with a flat pick), i get confused. halp?

this is the method i use which is Picado:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picados
Dude check out Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing solo. Mark Knophler picks the entire solo by using his fingers.
I can handle it just fine, but then again i play kind of a clunky blues style...
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
If you want to solo with your fingers do it. I'm currently learning the Sultans of Swing solo with by fingerpicking, but I've been playing with both fingerpicking and with a pick since I started playing.

If you want to play a scale you can either try playing it like a bassplayer or with 3 fingers, or the way you said earlier.
Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony Finish
- Hohner Hc-06 Classical guitar

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah