Out of all the options of Fender Strats (American, Classic Players, Standard, Highway 1, etc.), which is the best for the price?
If it matters, I'm a blues/funk player.
Highway 1's are really, really good for the cash.

Really good in general actually.

USA made, nitro finish. The full works!
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
I've heard that used MIM Strats might give you the most bang for your buck, but I'm still researching the what best Strat is for the price...
Quote by yellowsnow4free
I've heard that used MIM Strats might give you the most bang for your buck, but I'm still researching the what best Strat is for the price...

Try a used '80s MIJ Squier, a used MIJ Fender or a Tokai. Now that's bang for your buck.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Good point Prophet of Page.

The old japanese tokai's are incredible!
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by Jacksonshred333
............................and your mom is also pretty good for the price.

You're reported.

TS, I find MIJ to be very good guitars, Aerodyne series inparticular, it bridges the gap perfectly between Mexican and American Fenders.
Independent shops are most likely to have a tasty strat in there!

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Hmm, at first I was going for a Highway 1, but something about the Classic Players caught my eye.
Which one of these do you guys recommend?

EDIT: At the least I want something better than a MIM Standard.
Last edited by cratskomodo at Dec 23, 2008,
Quote by Jacksonshred333
............................and your mom is also pretty good for the price.

Shut Up

TS, If you buy an MIM and replace the pickups (which are a little weak) you will have a really cool guitar. An MIM would be good for modifying too since its not too pricey.
Quote by Prophet of Page
Try a used '80s MIJ Squier, a used MIJ Fender or a Tokai. Now that's bang for your buck.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by madbomber233
Shut Up

TS, If you buy an MIM and replace the pickups (which are a little weak) you will have a really cool guitar. An MIM would be good for modifying too since its not too pricey.

I was actually just about to ask.
Would I be better off buying an MIA, or upgrading the certain aspects of an MIM to my liking?
Quote by cratskomodo
I was actually just about to ask.
Would I be better off buying an MIA, or upgrading the certain aspects of an MIM to my liking?

It depends. There are certain things that You cant upgrade, such as the body wood for example but I think upgrading the MIM is a great idea because you can spread the cost out over time, instead of splashing out lots of cash on an MIA all at once. I have an MIM and I can tell you now that the pickups aren't great, especially the bridge. Not for heavy music anyway. But they can be easily replaced. It depends if you want a good guitar, or a more expensive good guitar with all the little features like bi-flex truss rod, hand rolled fingerboard and better tuners. I'm definitly not an expert though so don't go on my advice!
^ yep, pretty much. personally, if i'm buying a guitar to upgrade, it needs be good quality for the stuff you can't improve.

other thing is, if you have to upgrade everything, you can end up putting more into the guitar than it's worth. which can often be a false economy, too. normally i work on the basis that if it's good apart from the pickups and electronics/wiring, then it's worth upgrading (apart from anything, even guitars with "good" pickups can often benefit from an upgrade). but if i have to switch the pickups/electronics, bridge, tuners, nut, etc. etc., then i can't be bothered. a lot of hardware swaps aren't a straight swap anyway, so if you're DIY-impaired like I am, it can quickly turn into a nightmare.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by cratskomodo
Hmm, so I think I'm going to go ahead and save up for the 2009 Upgraded Standard Strat.

I have an idea that I got from today. I went into a nice guitar store that had literally freaking wall of strats. Now here's the problem. The pickups on the MIA may be for you or not for you. I mean they are nice of course, but it may not be for you. I say your best bet is to get a mid-level strat. One thats good quality but not super pricey. I played a very nice 60's fender today (reissue or whtever it is) and the neck was just wow. I would change the pickups though. Maybe a 70's one would have hotter ones but still. I mean if it was me I would get a 60's fender MIM or whtever and put in an HS-3 and YJM but thats because I love Yngwie. There are alot of great fenders, try them out and see what feels best and then upgrade your quirks later. Dont throw all your cash in on a "ready made" guitar because it may be top notch but it might not be you.
I LOL the Yo Mama joke...

*throws pear at self*

I think the best strat for the price is just a 2008 Standard Strat. Saw one at a pawn shop in Houston, TX for $199... Unfortunatly I'm a noob and I'm broke xD.
Rip Kylee Harris 4.13.93-11.28.08
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
tell him that he is the drummer and that his opinions are invalid

Quote by Jim Harkins
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Quote by ravenrage07
I have an idea that I got from today. I went into a nice guitar store that had literally freaking wall of strats. Now here's the problem. The pickups on the MIA may be for you or not for you. I mean they are nice of course, but it may not be for you. I say your best bet is to get a mid-level strat. One thats good quality but not super pricey. I played a very nice 60's fender today (reissue or whtever it is) and the neck was just wow. I would change the pickups though. Maybe a 70's one would have hotter ones but still. I mean if it was me I would get a 60's fender MIM or whtever and put in an HS-3 and YJM but thats because I love Yngwie. There are alot of great fenders, try them out and see what feels best and then upgrade your quirks later. Dont throw all your cash in on a "ready made" guitar because it may be top notch but it might not be you.

Well, aside from the pickups, what are common upgrades to a standard strat?
Quote by SloppyJoseph
Highway one except for the tuners................

What's wrong with the tuners? They hold just fine on mine.
i play a standard mim fat strat. i don't know if i just got lucky, it was the first guitar i bought, it was off the internet, but still to this day its my favorite.

however, i bought another mim fat strat from ebay on the cheap, and the quality was quite a bit shabbier.

i've never really played an mia, so i can't say how much better it is than a mim, but my mim is great for me, but as i said, i may just have been lucky to get a well built one.
Gear :

Michael Kelly Patriot Custom
Fender Strat HH MIM
Musicman Sub1
Eko Ranger
Yamaha APX 700
Ibanez EW
Marshall AVT Tribute 100w head
Framus 2x12 cab
Roland Cube 30
Does anybody know when the 2009 upgraded strats will be available in the UK? (looking for something more accurate than 2009).

Cheers.
Now it may sound a little bias.. but im going to say the Fender Deluxe Players strat, its costs a little more than a standard and has american build quality, it sounds better than an american as it has Noiseless Pickups, and its beautiful too
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
They are available now, at approx £100 more than the previous version (for singles + HSS)
Ibanez RG1570
Laney VC15
Boss CH-1 MT-2 EQ-7 CS-3 NS-2
Guitar Rig 3 Kontrol