I currently have a Line 6 Spider 3 30 watt, i have a really good tone, but its a heavy tone, and the clean channel sounds like ****. Plus its kind of small. I want an amp that has a good clean soiund, im thinking a tube amp, but also i want to get a good crunchy tone. I play Psychedelic rock/alternative. Im thinking 75 watts would be good? Im starting a band right away and ill need some thing loud. Are there any amps that would help me achieve the tone i want, and have effects built in?

500 - 600 dollar budget perhaps
Last edited by death_rider at Dec 23, 2008,
Budget?
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by classicrocker01
Budget?

+1.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
A Peavey Windsor Stack might be right up your alley, it's a 100 watt head (definitely loud, it's tube wattage), but I think the cab is generally regarded as not being too good. The Windsor is basically a poor man's JCM, so it should have enough crunch for you.

The only reason that I didn't recommend the combo is because it's 20 watts with stock EL34's, which might not be loud enough for you, I don't know, but try either or both of those out and see what you like.
Gear
Guitar
Kramer Striker (JB + Jazz)
Amps
Blackstar HT-5C
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT-XL
Pedals
Dunlop DB-01 Crybaby From Hell
Digitech HardWire CM-2 Tube Overdrive
Boss DS-1
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD100VT-100W-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=482623

Can't beat this for the price, flexibility, tone, quality and effects. Go plug in try it and be thrilled.

Their user site is also loaded with tons of killer tone diagrams so you adjust for all sorts of songs/artists or whatever.
Jackson: DKMG w/Zakk Wylde EMGs
Fender: Fat Strat HSS
Epiphone: Les Paul Custom w/SD Pickups
Dean: Performer E Acoustic/Electric
Vox: DA5
Vox JamVox
Digitech: GNX4 Workstation
Digitech: EX-7 Distortion Factory
Boss DR-880
MAudio Bx5a Deluxe
You will not have much luck finding a 75 watt tube amp with built in effects. Honestly I doubt you will find a 75 watt tube amp for this price range. If you have yet to start a band I think 75 watts of tube amp is overkill. A 50 watt Marshall will make your ears bleed. Even a 15 watt Orange Tiny Terror is plenty loud for most practices and small gigs. If the effects are a must then look at Line 6's new line of tube driven amps, Spider Valves I believe they are called. The only real tube amps I know of in that price range are the Fender Blues Jr. and the Epiphone Blues Custom. Both of these are nice amps for clean to medium gain styles and you can always buy effects after you have the amp. Maybe even analog effects so that they sound good.
peavey classic 30 or 50, with effect pedals instead of disgusting on board effects ftw
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
I recommend against buying an amp with effects built in (modelling amp) and just getting something that suits you. You also don't need 75 watts by the way. On my Traynor YCV50, if I put the volume to 4 on it (out of 10) on the distortion channel, it's ridiculously loud.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Quote by acdclandon
peavey classic 30 or 50, with effect pedals instead of disgusting on board effects ftw

i agree. go with the peavey classic series
My band.
www.myspace.com/bransonny

My gear.
Marshall: JCM800 2205, 6100, 1960AV
H&K: Triamp MKII, Duotone
Mesa: Recto recording pre, 212
2 Avatar 412 (v30's)
Gibson: LP std, SG std, SG goth, SG spec
G&L ASAT classic
Martin DC-16GTE
A used classic 30 at $300-$325 leaves a lot of room for pedals, just sayin.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
So i searchd the Line 6 Spider Valve and i think im going to take a look at the 112 4o watt. Has anyone tried thse?
Quote by death_rider
So i searchd the Line 6 Spider Valve and i think im going to take a look at the 112 4o watt. Has anyone tried thse?

yes i tried it, it was a lot better than the spider sound wise, but still the classic would kill that thing in tone
like someone said you can use the extra money for pedals
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Check you the Traynor YCS series. the 20 or 40 should be good.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60/120

Tube powered, in your budget, built in effects and modeling
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
I'm going to have to join the Classic 30 Army. They are excellent amps, plus built in effects usually aren't that good.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan