I've Been Playing A Lot Of Hardcore/screamcore Music Lately... I'd Like To Change The Pickups In My Guitar (gibson Les Paul Studio) And I Am Also Going To Purchase A New Head Unit. I Was Thinking Emg 81 & 85 And Mabye A Krank Or Peavey Head Unit.... Any Advice Would Be Greatly Appreciated!
I would definitely say put burstbuckers in the paul. and then run that through a single recto. If you eq it right you will get some killer hardcore/screamo/emocore/etc... tones. Hopefully you already have a vintage 30 loaded cab.
My band.
www.myspace.com/bransonny

My gear.
Marshall: JCM800 2205, 6100, 1960AV
H&K: Triamp MKII, Duotone
Mesa: Recto recording pre, 212
2 Avatar 412 (v30's)
Gibson: LP std, SG std, SG goth, SG spec
G&L ASAT classic
Martin DC-16GTE
Screamo? Don't change your pickups then. Remove them ._.
No really. What's your budget for each item?
Peavey 6505 is the definitive heavy amp because of the silly amount of gain on tap.
I think you can probably afford Bare Knuckles. If so, I'd suggest the War Pig. Alternatively, the EMG 81/85 is tried and tested, but the cleans are lacklustre and EMGs through a 6505 will make you sound just like everyone else.
I cannot for the life of me understand why people like EMGs at all. They're sterile, toneless and make every guitar sound the same. No matter what you're using, you can almost always tell when the guitar is loaded with EMGs because it will just give you that bland tone. All you need is a Peavey 6505 to sound like every other metal guitarist on the scene these days.

I'm just going to throw out a suggestion for WCR Fillmores. They are very good and you actually have the budget for them, they're not wound as hot as "high output" pickups but they are super sensitive to a player's nuances. Besides, with the amount of gain on amps these days, it's not really that necessary to have high output pickups to boost the front end. I'd rather have good tone than that bit of extra gain.
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 23, 2008,
i agree with al112987. EMGs suck.
My band.
www.myspace.com/bransonny

My gear.
Marshall: JCM800 2205, 6100, 1960AV
H&K: Triamp MKII, Duotone
Mesa: Recto recording pre, 212
2 Avatar 412 (v30's)
Gibson: LP std, SG std, SG goth, SG spec
G&L ASAT classic
Martin DC-16GTE
Quote by al112987
I cannot for the life of me understand why people like EMGs at all. They're sterile, toneless and make every guitar sound the same. No matter what you're using, you can almost always tell when the guitar is loaded with EMGs because it will just give you that bland tone. All you need is a Peavey 6505 to sound like every other metal guitarist on the scene these days.

I'm just going to throw out a suggestion for WCR Fillmores. They are very good and you actually have the budget for them, they're not wound as hot as "high output" pickups but they are super sensitive to a player's nuances. Besides, with the amount of gain on amps these days, it's not really that necessary to have high output pickups to boost the front end. I'd rather have good tone than that bit of extra gain.

I agree about the EMGs.
Thing is, every other metal artist uses the 6505 because it's a good amp, plain and simple.
And people use high output pickups because they usually sound better when driven hard, have a tighter bottom end and because a lot of lower output pickups can get quite muddy under high gain.
i was actually looking at the Peavey 6505 and the krank revolution rep 120 watt. I haven't played either yet but, I will soon. I think I will wait to buy the head unit and then see what i think.
Quote by Rock Pig
I agree about the EMGs.
Thing is, every other metal artist uses the 6505 because it's a good amp, plain and simple.
And people use high output pickups because they usually sound better when driven hard, have a tighter bottom end and because a lot of lower output pickups can get quite muddy under high gain.

I agree with this to an extent, but if you can afford to spend $300 on a set of pickups, there are many pickup options out there that will work well with high gain, (as I suggested the WCR Fillmores or Darkbursts, which are amazing for just about all application) very few $300 pickups are not built with clarity in mind. Of course your right, certain kinds will get muddy with a ton of gain under the wrong EQ conditions. But even some high output pickups do as well. I have a Seymour Duncan JB in my les paul which I currently absolutely detest, it's screechy on the high end and flubby on the low end and muds up with gain even though it's a high output pickup.

Quote by guitarboy1987
i was actually looking at the Peavey 6505 and the krank revolution rep 120 watt. I haven't played either yet but, I will soon. I think I will wait to buy the head unit and then see what i think.

I'm not a fan of the 6505 at all, but I'm not a metal player so it may just be a matter of different tastes. However, there is a Krank Revolution that I tried at a music store, and I cannot honestly imagine how anyone can like that amp. Whether he plays metal or not.