Through a series of wikipedia-link clicks, I discovered what is called the Dogme 95. It is a film-making movement that started in 1955 and followed specific rules called the Vow of Chastity. They are as follows:

1. Filming must be done on location. Props and sets must not be brought in (if a particular prop is necessary for the story, a location must be chosen where this prop is to be found).

2. The sound must never be produced apart from the images or vice versa. (Music must not be used unless it occurs within the scene being filmed, i.e., diegetic).

3. The camera must be a hand-held camera. Any movement or immobility attainable in the hand is permitted. (The film must not take place where the camera is standing; filming must take place where the action takes place.)

4. The film must be in colour. Special lighting is not acceptable. (If there is too little light for exposure the scene must be cut or a single lamp be attached to the camera).

5. Optical work and filters are forbidden.

6. The film must not contain superficial action. (Murders, weapons, etc. must not occur.)

7. Temporal and geographical alienation are forbidden. (That is to say that the film takes place here and now.)

8. Genre movies are not acceptable.

9. The final picture must be transferred to the Academy 35mm film, with an aspect ratio of 4:3, that is, not widescreen. (Originally, the requirement was that the film had to be filmed on Academy 35mm film, but the rule was relaxed to allow low-budget productions.)

10. The director must not be credited.

Has anyone heard of this movement? What do you think of it? I personally haven't seen any of the movies that follow this guideline. I'd like to though. I think some of these rules make sense and could produce interesting works but some of them are a load of crap. I think a director has every right to be credited. It's his work. I understand the point of this movement is to stray away from things like Hollywood and recognition within so it makes sense.

So what are your thoughts?

Wiki article here
Official site here
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
Vagina's tend to be not all that great looking most of the time. It's all... flappy. Looks sloppy.

I'd have to say guy junk wins but not by much. It's like winning a beauty contest against Steve Buscemi.
I'm in a music program so last year I had to take a course called Fine Arts Cultural Studies.. hellish really. My least favourite film I saw all year in it was a Dogme 95 one.. it was actually painful to watch. Its like that super lofi black metal - theres a point where you're doing it for the recognition points, not the message of the movie/music.
Yeah u remember those 1950's movie's ?
Picture them without those 10 rules...

I rest my case.
ALL HAIL HYPNOTOAD

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Dude, I think I would know, Trivium invented Thrash, Metallica are lucky they got as far as they did piggy-backing off of Trivium's signature style.
what kind of movie would you make like this? a documentary?
My meh gear:
ESP LTD MH-400NT
Peavey Raptor Plus EXP
Digitech RP90
Digitech Bad Monkey
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi (WTS)
Crate GT15 (SHIT)

GAS:
Peavey 6505 112 combo
MXR 10-band EQ
Ibanez TS-9
Boss HR-2
Compressor (open to suggestions)
Some of those seem a bit stupid, and make it harder to make a good film. It just limits them. I'd like to see one though just to see what it's like.
I have to say, that sounds pretty freaking cool, I'd love to watch some of those films
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
Quote by JungIe
what kind of movie would you make like this? a documentary?

Apparently there are many: http://www.dogme95.dk/dogme-films/filmlist.asp

I'm pretty sure they are actual films and not documentaries.
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
Vagina's tend to be not all that great looking most of the time. It's all... flappy. Looks sloppy.

I'd have to say guy junk wins but not by much. It's like winning a beauty contest against Steve Buscemi.
This would take too long.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
As a film studies student I've seen a few of those films. It's an interesting concept and really helps to push boundaries. Unfortunately, if you're only into films that require no thought you'll hate them.

That's the nature of post modern film making though.

There's one film (I've forgotten what it's called) that was filmed for this and it literally uses no props. It was filmed on an empty soundstage and the actors simply act as though there are doors, buildings, and pretend they're holding things ect.
I have heard of it, yes, my last girlfriend was a film student at college...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.