Page 1 of 2
I'm not a huge Van Halen fan but I've always liked his red, black & white Frankenstrat. I had an old Squier that's been in peices for about 5 years so I deceided to make one. I know it's overdone but I wanted one.

Here's what it used to look like.

I didn't want a blade style switch so I had to drill a hole and fill in around it to fit a Gibson styled 3 way switch.

I decided to go with 2 humbuckers so I had to fill the single coil slot.

Then I painted it black but some of my pics got deleted so I don't have any of it solid black or with the first layers of tape.
Last edited by zakkwyldefan79 at Jan 17, 2009,
It seems as though you are done posting reserves.

Are you going to use this guitar to show off to friends, or play live?
Ibanez STM1
Ibanez Iceman
Digitech Artist Series Dan Donegan 'The Weapon'
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
Line 6 Spider 3 30 Watt Modeling Amp
looks really good..what kind og paint did you use?
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Quote by Foxy Roxy
It seems as though you are done posting reserves.

Are you going to use this guitar to show off to friends, or play live?

I'm not really in a band anymore but I do fill in for the rhythm guitarist in my friends band so I'll probably use it live sometimes. But the reason I made it was mainly cause I had the guitar, the paint and alot of free time.
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
I'm not really in a band anymore but I do fill in for the rhythm guitarist in my friends band so I'll probably use it live sometimes. But the reason I made it was mainly cause I had the guitar, the paint and alot of free time.

'Cause you had nothing better to do with a POS Squier? I can dig it. What kinda pups are you gonna use?
Ibanez STM1
Ibanez Iceman
Digitech Artist Series Dan Donegan 'The Weapon'
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
Line 6 Spider 3 30 Watt Modeling Amp
Quote by nowa90
looks really good..what kind of paint did you use?

Just Krylon spray paint. Thats the good thing about an EVH Frankenstrat they're supposed to be kinda rough looking. The red bled into the white a little in some places so I had to touch up some of the really bad places but I left some of the minor bleed spots cause I liked how it looked.
nice...i dont care how cliche it is, the frankenstrat still kicks ass
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by Foxy Roxy
'Cause you had nothing better to do with a POS Squier? I can dig it. What kinda pups are you gonna use?

I have Seymour Duncan Jazz neck pickup I was going to use for a different project that I might use in it but I don't know about a bridge pickup yet. I'll see what kind of money I've got after Christmas and decide on one then. I need new pots and pickup selector switch too.
paint that b****. no need to have the squire logo on it...
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Do it like EVHs headstock.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
Just Krylon spray paint. Thats the good thing about an EVH Frankenstrat they're supposed to be kinda rough looking. The red bled into the white a little in some places so I had to touch up some of the really bad places but I left some of the minor bleed spots cause I liked how it looked.
is it avaible in Canda/Nova scotia?

EDIT: Paint that bitch, she must die!Or black, or black,white, and red stripes.like....like the body!

not meaning to be rude
Last edited by nowa90 at Dec 23, 2008,
^should be. its pretty popular. look around in hardware stores and the like.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Get rid of the headstock logo, people will be like, nice guiOHH shyte nvm it's a squier.
I has sigs

Quote by COBGage
If Dimebag can't take a few bullets to the head how's he gonna be able to take a full on Kamehameha?
yeah..the kramer neck...i vote yes to the new neck idea!
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Just make sure its got the maple fretboard, since you're already going to get a new neck.
Quote by AvengedFoghat
I think you should do whatever's comfortable to you.

btw what kind of squier was it? just wondering

I don't know exactly what kind of Squier it is. I found it in a pawn shop (5 or 6 years ago) dirt cheap so I bought it to play around with. I've never seen another one like it and my local guitar shop couldn't tell me anything about it either. If anyone knows anything about this kind of Squier feel free to let me know.
A Squier with a Kramer headshape, RG body (complete with AANJ) routed for Floyd Rose...

hhhmmmmm

Nope, you got me...

(Nice work by the way but I actually preferred the blue tape to the red paint )
you gona put clear coat on it? i would. i woul put 3 f*ckin inches of clear on it! it would shine like a biatch and look so deep and smooth...
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Quote by f22master
you gona put clear coat on it? i would. i woul put 3 f*ckin inches of clear on it! it would shine like a biatch and look so deep and smooth...

Yeah I'm gonna clear coat it. I just can't do it until the holidays are over. Right now I don't have the time or money to do anything else to it. It looks better in person. The red looks a little funny after I adjusted the size of the pics. I had to shrink them because the originals were huge. It turned out better than I thought it would.
how much does that paint cost? and how hard is it to tape the body?

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Quote by f22master
how much does that paint cost? and how hard is it to tape the body?

The paint was just Krylon spray paint from Walmart that cost about $3 a can. The taping takes some time. I tried to get most of the lines close to Eddie's original but since this guitars body is different I had to modify a few lines a little. If you compare the lines to the original it's really pretty close.
omg, what a conicendce (sp?) i went to a freinds house last night to snowboard, and guees what was on the shelf? Krylon enamel for metal,wood, and plastic, and his mom said from home hardware (local hardware store 5 mins away from me) so i am lucky!
did you use primer?

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
excellent job. Makes me almost reconsider what I want to do for my next build. Great job!
Quote by f22master
did you use primer?

On this project no I didn't use primer. I just roughed up the original blue paint and painted it. This type of frankenstrat paint job looks better if it's kind of rough. Eddie's original wasn't properly painted so I didn't do it on this one. On other projects I've done I've been more professional when painting but on this one I didn't care if it was perfect or not.
If you want to finish it off, get some reflectors, eye-bolts, and small chains to attatch to the ends of your strap. Also...that has to be the WEIRDEST Squier headstock I've ever seen. I would google the ID number on it. Maybe you have something rare?
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I've sanded the headstock and now I'm thinking about leaving it natural wood instead of painting it like the body. What do you guys think I should do? Here are some pics of the headstock.
Before:

After:
Last edited by zakkwyldefan79 at Jan 17, 2009,
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
I don't know exactly what kind of Squier it is. I found it in a pawn shop (5 or 6 years ago) dirt cheap so I bought it to play around with. I've never seen another one like it and my local guitar shop couldn't tell me anything about it either. If anyone knows anything about this kind of Squier feel free to let me know.

it looks like squier's version of the HM strat or something from around that time period when fender was doing stuff like that ive seen them before on ebay but not too often
do the headstock
also is it hard to that paint job?
cause im planning on my own attempt pretty soon
This next band asked me to read this 'Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Molly Hatchet all had sex and now please welcome their two-headed baby 'Tenacious D '

myspace.com/dinosaur_sandwich
Quote by joshua.mcdonald
also is it hard to that paint job?
cause im planning on my own attempt pretty soon

I used this thread as a guide to do mine.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=811872&highlight=frankenstrat
So thanks to aceshigh16 cause without his thread mine would not look as good as it does.
Page 1 of 2