I was wondering if an octave on the guitar is 8 frets down then go to the next string. I came up with this idea from looking at a tab and both guitars are playing the same thing but on different notes so I figured it was an octave but I wasn't sure. Also is there any special name for going from for instance the B on the 2nd fret of the A string to the B on the 14th fret?
Neverender:SSTB 4/19

Goddamn this cursed iron fist. When I lose control!

[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']You, sir, win epically.
If I understand what you're saying correctly, then no, it should be 7 frets, not 8.

Apart from on the G-B string where 8th fret on the B = G.

other than that you generally have 7th on A = E
7th on D = A

etc.
Oh ok, wasn't sure since it wasn't 8 notes.

??

not sure what you mean but different Bs are called b1 b2 b3 b4 etc b1 being lowest octave
Er...An octave is twelve notes apart, pretty simple theory, if that's what you're asking.

If you're asking what you seem to be asking, it's seven, not eight.
RAZZLEFRAZZLE
Since when was an octave twelve notes about, I thought some of piano theory transferred to guitar. In the tab for Don't Tread On Me both guitars are playing the same thing except on different frets. One is on the 2nd fret of the A and the other on the 9th fret of the D. since both are B's I figured that was an octave.

Quote by MasterExploder0
Since when was an octave twelve notes about, I thought some of piano theory transferred to guitar. In the tab for Don't Tread On Me both guitars are playing the same thing except on different frets. One is on the 2nd fret of the A and the other on the 9th fret of the D. since both are B's I figured that was an octave.

If they're both B's it's an octave. It's like octave displacement, they don't have to be 7 notes apart literally on the fretboard. It might technically be a direct octave but you could keep going up octaves till you reached it
Quote by captain Trips
If they're both B's it's an octave. It's like octave displacement, they don't have to be 7 notes apart literally on the fretboard

OR Unison.
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Quote by MasterExploder0

That translates back to what I said before, take a fret on the a string, move up 7 frets and onto the d string, and you are one octave up.
Quote by MasterExploder0

Yeah, twelve notes apart. On a piano, on a guitar, on any instrument.

What you mentioned is an octave.

Second fret of A- B
3rd fret of A- C
4th - C# or Db
5th (or open D string) - D
1st fret of D string- D# or Eb
2nd fret- E
3rd- F
4th- F# or Gb
5th- G
6th- G# or Ab
7th- A
8th-A# or Bb
9th- B
RAZZLEFRAZZLE
Quote by captain Trips
lol yea that wasn't even really occuring to me

and Merry Christmas
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Ok guys I think I got it now thanks. Btw, would it sound cool if me and my friend soloed but we were an octave apart?

Quote by captain Trips
it's how it's done, try soloing with 3rds as well

This, but make sure you make the harmony within the scale. So for Am...

ABCDEFGA
CDEFGABC