Hey, i'm starting up a kinda noise/math rock band (tera melos, Giraffes? Giraffes., By the End of Tonight, Hella, Explosions in the Sky, etc.) with a friend of mine who plays drums, and i need a cheap amp that has a great clean sound and is loud enough for gigging. I have a 6505 that i use with my other stuff, which is mainly more hardcore oriented and whatnot, but the cleans on it just aren't up to par with what i need for what im trying to do with this little side project thing. What's a good cheap combo/head that just has a fantastic clean? Also, any recommendations on overdrive pedals would be welcomed also. Thanks
Budget?
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
doesnt really matter, im just asking about a cheap one. I suppose cheap can mean different things to different people. I'll prolly buy used. Just whatever you'd think would be cheap. I dont have much money set aside at the moment, i just wanna get an idea of some cheap amps to try out, then ill go from there. So, whatever you would consider 'cheap'.
It's just whatever, most of the time.

Gear:

PRS SE Custom
Ibanez RG7321 7-string
Custom Built All-parts Strat
Boss ME-50
Morley Bad Horsie
Boss PH-2
Morley Little Alligator
Boss DD-7
Peavey 6505+
Well, if you could find a used fender combo, that wouldn't cost you an arm and a leg, and would have pretty good cleans. Especially if you found a twin reverb or something, they have fantastic cleans, and are more reliable than the hot rod series. That'd be one option. Used you may be able to get a twin for 8 or 900, which isn't really cheap. With that being said you could find a used hot rod deluxe for probably 600, I know they have pretty good cleans too.

Also, really good cleans in the Traynor YCV40. That would run about 700 new I think.

These prices would be canadian though, as thats where I live, I don't know what it all converts to over the border in the states, or anywhere else.
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
Roland JC's can go pretty cheap used, just remember that the tone isn't coloured much by the amp. Deals with pedals pretty well for a solid state.
Quote by BGSM
Roland JC's can go pretty cheap used, just remember that the tone isn't coloured much by the amp.

Questionable statement here.

The Fender Blues junior has good cleans, surprisingly good overdrive too and GC has it for $500. If you don't want crushing distortion from the combo, it could be worth considering.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
I've found some decent used fender combos as low as $600, ive never really tried a Roland, solid state kinda scares me off, but if it sounds good, that's the only important thing. I definetly like the blues junior though, if i cant find a decent fender reverb combo for a cheap price ill prolly go that route. thanks guys!

Gear:

PRS SE Custom
Ibanez RG7321 7-string
Boss ME-50
Morley Bad Horsie
Boss PH-2
Morley Little Alligator
Boss DD-7
Peavey 6505+
oh, and have any of you tried the Vox AC15? They go new for around $600, I've heard good things. Anyone have any opinion on them?

Gear:

PRS SE Custom
Ibanez RG7321 7-string
Boss ME-50
Morley Bad Horsie
Boss PH-2
Morley Little Alligator
Boss DD-7
Peavey 6505+
An EVJ won't get cleans at all at gigging levels.
Sure, you might be able to mic it, but the cleans on the EVJ kind of fall short

I'd look into Fender Hot Rods. They have good headroom, and they can be found at a good price.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
i would prolly look at blues jrs if you want bright cleans.
i personally like vox ac15 for slightly darker/mellow ones.
fender hot rods, or if you can find one thats well priced, a roland jazz chorus
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
wtf is math rock???
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
rofl, math/noise and you said Explosions In The Sky? I don't trust your judgment

I got my deluxe for $525, brand new from Humbucker Music (closeby), no problems. Shop around, look for sales, look on craigslist/ebay.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by MOOSE_CCR99
wtf is math rock???

its called math rock because of complicated time signatures and rythms and stuff
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by Exo M7
rofl, math/noise and you said Explosions In The Sky? I don't trust your judgment

I got my deluxe for $525, brand new from Humbucker Music (closeby), no problems. Shop around, look for sales, look on craigslist/ebay.

Ok, well then lemme rephrase this Exo M7, cuz i was question putting EITS cuz someone would go outta there way to throw a comment like that out there. I'm starting up a band with influences like Giraffes? Giraffes., Tera Melos, Dakota/Dakota, BTEOT, SWIMS, and EITS. Is that better for you seeing as genre titles are pretty important? And im aware on how to shop around, use craigslist, etc. I'm asking for advice on a good cheap clean amp, not how to go about buying it.

To everyone else, thanks for the advice, it's much appreciated.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
its called math rock because of complicated time signatures and rythms and stuff

Like Dillinger Escape Plan?
Dillinger is more 'mathcore' if you get all involved in genres. the title Math rock, which is a pretty goofy name and people get really involved into the proper placement of the genre for some reason, is typically associated with bands that are often instrumental, not always though, feature alot of cleaner guitar with alot of tapping, drums are very prominent with alot of polyrhythms. You'll find a good amount of them not having bassists, just guitars and drums. Often if they have vocals, they're really low in the mix. Some decent 'math rock' bands (and im sure this is 'debatable') are Hella, Tera Melos, Ghosts and Vodka, Piglet, Maps & Atlases, and Don Caballero. Of course, the whole genre is kinda wide spread, so there are plenty of other bands prolly classified under that, but whatever.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson

Thx
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
tool would be considered math rock
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand