hey UG,
this is an incredibly stupid question, but... what is a kill switch?

i have absolutly no idea

thanks guys (and girls)
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Its a button you can install in your guitar that when pressed, cuts the connection to the guitar's input jack. Pushing it on and off really fast can create some really cool tremolo effects, like what Buckethead uses.
Quote by Sub_urban12
Its a button you can install in your guitar that when pressed, cuts the connection to the guitar's input jack. Pushing it on and off really fast can create some really cool tremolo effects, like what Buckethead uses.

Doesn't have to be a button. But anyway. It just 'kills' the sound. So it turns off the sound. If you have a gibson style gutar with 2 vol pots, turn one volume all the way. In lessons I usually do that so i can just turn off straight away. I used to do it alot when I had no volume pedal to cut out any unwanted string noise..

The Gear I Use Most:
Gibson guitars, Les Paul, ES-335, SG and more.
Dunlop Crybaby | Dunlop Volume | Boss TU-2 | Ibanez TS-9 | Maxon AD-999
Planet Waves Custom Leads
Marshall JCM900 (model: 4100 + 4101)

TooJoo The Band
Stops the sound when you press it but if you buy a crappy one it could make some unwanted noise, if used right it could also be a good way to close a song.
What people have already said. Listen to the intro of Know Your Enemy by Rage Against the Machine (and the rest of the song, Maynards bit is incredible)
Quote by Mattalac
Doesn't have to be a button. But anyway. It just 'kills' the sound. So it turns off the sound. If you have a gibson style gutar with 2 vol pots, turn one volume all the way. In lessons I usually do that so i can just turn off straight away. I used to do it alot when I had no volume pedal to cut out any unwanted string noise..

+1

Alot of guitarists turn the neck all the way down and crack up the bridge..or vise
versa...and flick the selector switch back and forth to break it up like a kill switch.

Just dont do it all the time..unless u dont mind replacing it.

Theres tons of online DIY tutorials on how to make one really cheap.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett