Christmas money came a little early this year, so I already have money to waste.

I'm looking to get myself started out with some effects pedals. This should start a pedalboard for me to build on in the future.

Budget: $600
Styles: Classic rock, modern rock, indie, etc. More messing around/improvising than anything.
Seeking: Wah, overdrive, chorus, delay, possibly more.
Amp: Peavey Classic 30

I would like pedals that don't suck too much tone.

Considerations:

Wah:
Dunlop 535Q?
Looks versatile enough for me.

Overdrive:
Ibanez TS808 Re-Issue pedal?
Seems to be a classic.
or
Fulltone OCD

Chorus:
???
Don't need anything too fancy, but just want the effect. Something around $100?

Delay:
???
I don't know about analog or digital. Something around $100?

Other to buy with remaining:
???
Should have around $100 to buy any other pedal, etc.

Can someone please help me choose some pedals?

Thank you!
Last edited by guhtar at Dec 23, 2008,
Sorry to be cliché, but amp? Pedals won't do anything pretty with a hideous amp.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
might be useful to grab a mxr 10 band eq.
a decent noise reduction (isp decimator?) may be useful too if you have a bunch of noisy pedals
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
I guess I have never really thought about an EQ pedal. Thanks for the suggestion!

Will I really need the ISP Decimator? I'll only have four or five pedals.
Get an OCD or a Hot Cake for an OD.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
I know that it is called a Fulltone OCD, but who makes the Hot Cake? I don't think I've ever heard of it.
I vote for the Fulltone OCD.

For delay, analog is nice and warm, vintage-vibe to it. Digital has bajillions of perfect repeats. For what you play I'd go with analog though, it'd suit you better in my opinion.
Quote by guhtar
Any analog delay in specific, around 100 USD?

The MXR Carbon Copy is pretty much universally recommended for that price range, but it's 50 bux more.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by guhtar
I know that it is called a Fulltone OCD, but who makes the Hot Cake? I don't think I've ever heard of it.

Crowther, Check it out, they might be hard to get in the states but just listen, they are amazing.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Quote by Raijouta
The MXR Carbon Copy is pretty much universally recommended for that price range, but it's 50 bux more.
I think I could stretch it.

Thanks for all the input so far.

The Dunlop 535Q is definitely the cheapest wah for the versatility it gives you. Most of the other wahs with lots of available tweaking that I know of cost at least $200, so the 535Q is especially good for the value.

The Reissue TS-808 is good, but I'd strongly suggest you try out some other pedals. There are tons of makers out there with great drive effects that may give you something that the 808 doesn't. For example, if you're willing to stretch your budget for the overdrive to $200, you could get a Fulltone OCD or Fulldrive or one of the Xotic RC/AC/BB pedals.

There are a decent number of choruses out there for less than $100, but I'm not sure on their quality. Off the top of my head (and Musician's Friend), there's the Boss CE-5 and CH-1, the EHX Nano and Small Clones, the Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus, the Digitech Multi-Voice Chorus and Chorus Factory, and some of the Ibanez 7-series. Among those, I'd especially recommend one of the EHX pedals or the Danelectro; the Clones have very good, classic tones, and the Danelectro is true bypass and seems to be getting good reviews. Since you've said you don't care about the quality a whole lot, the cheapest option is the Cool Cat at $50, but the Nano Clone is only like $55 and the Small is about $85.

Most good delays will cost more than $100. The differences between analog and digital are a) the warmth of the echoes and b) the delay length. Analogs tend to be warmer, but they have short delay times usually. Digitals are often a bit more sterile and dark, but they allow for really long and trippy delay effects. The best analog delay I've heard that won't really break the bank is the MXR Carbon Copy which sells for around $150. For digital delays, any of the Boss DD series are good, but you should also check out the Hardwire DL-8.

If you have extra money, you should check out a phaser pedal. There are some multi-modulation pedals that aren't too expensive, like the Marshall Regenerator, and that could cover your chorus as well.

So in all, here's a tentative board setup that I'd choose for you with the total price:

Dunlop 535Q - $130
Fulltone OCD - $143
EHX Small Clone - $85
Hardwire DL-8 - $150
MXR Phase 90 - $70
Total - $578, slightly > $600 with tax a/o shipping

That's a decent pedalboard that I'd take right there.
You are my hero, mikewaz!

Thank you so much for the detailed response! I feel like I should be paying you, and if I were talking to you in person, I actually would.

Thank you very much!

That was a great detailed response right there.

Even I am considering a few of those options now, especially with x-mas around the corner I am sure I'll get a few dollars I can throw towards pedals as well. Thanks from me too on you great info Mike!
Quote by mikewaz
The Dunlop 535Q is definitely the cheapest wah for the versatility it gives you. Most of the other wahs with lots of available tweaking that I know of cost at least $200, so the 535Q is especially good for the value.

The Reissue TS-808 is good, but I'd strongly suggest you try out some other pedals. There are tons of makers out there with great drive effects that may give you something that the 808 doesn't. For example, if you're willing to stretch your budget for the overdrive to $200, you could get a Fulltone OCD or Fulldrive or one of the Xotic RC/AC/BB pedals.

There are a decent number of choruses out there for less than $100, but I'm not sure on their quality. Off the top of my head (and Musician's Friend), there's the Boss CE-5 and CH-1, the EHX Nano and Small Clones, the Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus, the Digitech Multi-Voice Chorus and Chorus Factory, and some of the Ibanez 7-series. Among those, I'd especially recommend one of the EHX pedals or the Danelectro; the Clones have very good, classic tones, and the Danelectro is true bypass and seems to be getting good reviews. Since you've said you don't care about the quality a whole lot, the cheapest option is the Cool Cat at $50, but the Nano Clone is only like $55 and the Small is about $85.

Most good delays will cost more than $100. The differences between analog and digital are a) the warmth of the echoes and b) the delay length. Analogs tend to be warmer, but they have short delay times usually. Digitals are often a bit more sterile and dark, but they allow for really long and trippy delay effects. The best analog delay I've heard that won't really break the bank is the MXR Carbon Copy which sells for around $150. For digital delays, any of the Boss DD series are good, but you should also check out the Hardwire DL-8.

If you have extra money, you should check out a phaser pedal. There are some multi-modulation pedals that aren't too expensive, like the Marshall Regenerator, and that could cover your chorus as well.

So in all, here's a tentative board setup that I'd choose for you with the total price:

Dunlop 535Q - $130
Fulltone OCD - $143
EHX Small Clone - $85
Hardwire DL-8 - $150
MXR Phase 90 - $70
Total - $578, slightly > $600 with tax a/o shipping

That's a decent pedalboard that I'd take right there.

only thing i would add to that is get the script logo phase 90 over block. well try them both out, but ive never met anyone who wouldnt pay 20 bucks for the script. it sounds so much warmer and doesnt clip like the block seems to. and that still has you under 600.