I have a Marshall DSL 401 that I've been looking to sell but now I'm starting to think about keeping it. I love the basic Marshall tone as it's what I largely grew up with but I can't get it to produce enough gain for my tastes so I need a pedal to help it along. Originally I was thinking of a Seymour Duncan 'Metal Mayhem' but I think that this may work best on the clean channel but due to the volume controls on a DSL this may be impractical. An alternative would be to use the amp's existing overdrive channels and push them a bit further with a pedal. A Boss Super Overdrive came to mind.

The bottom line is I just don't know what would work best so I need some help. What would be the best way of turning a Marshall DSL 401 into a modern hi-gain monster?
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
I cant get enough gain out of any amps so i have to double over a pedal AND the amps distortion
Yes, I thought that pushing the amps existing gain channels over the edge might be the way to go but which pedal would do it best?
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by Doadman
Yes, I thought that pushing the amps existing gain channels over the edge might be the way to go but which pedal would do it best?

Boss Super Overdrive will do it..
go with either the TWIN TUBE MAYHEM or a DAMAGE CONTROL DEMONIZER
and a DIGITECH HARDWIRE TUBE OD if you have money then a FULLTONE OCD
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Last edited by WTF!!is a TAB at Dec 23, 2008,
Quote by Doadman

Boss Overdrive or Boss Super Overdrive. (I can only say these two from experience)

Both sound good in combination with an amp overdrive but the Super Overdrive is a little weaker and doesnt sound that good without amp distortion.
I don't believe in signatures. Ah, sh...
digitech bad monkey
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
if you want the amps sound to not change get a transparent booster
Gear:
Fender MIA Strat w/EMG SA's
Fender Super 60
Boss RT-20 Rotary Sim
Ibanez AD-9 Analog Delay
EHX Big Muff

"Doctor Kindly Tell Your Wife
That I'm Alive, Flowers Thrive
Realise, Realise, Realise"
if you have some the money the h.b.e. power screamer is bad ass! and if your on a budget the bad monkey.