I have no clue what to get.
Right now, I play my Epi Les Paul through a cheap fender amp that probably came with a squire, and at band practice, a GK 70w bass amp, which sounds like monkey crap, and may not be heard if the band starts gigging.
I have never played any other amps other than those.

I should have about $500 in 2 months

I like how The Used sound on their first CD, and I'm pretty sure that they use Marshall, which is outta my price range.
Any suggestions on an amp? I'd prefer a tube combo amp, but I'll look at other stuff as well. Right now I am looking at these -

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-ValveKing-112-Combo-Amp-104003397-i1145634.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/B-52-AT-112-60-Watt-1x12--Tube-Combo-Amp-103733606-i1170731.gc

I need an amp that has good cleans and dirty, that takes pedals fairly well,
Feel free to go a little over $500, cause the stores have a bunch of big sales
Quote by JDD331
A juggalo? Pokedex that ****.....what are they? like clowns...wannabes?

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
B-52 AT212
MXR-101 Phase 90
DeltaLab DD-1 Delay
The ValveKing sounds like it's right up your alley, I would go with that.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Little more info on the Valveking? I know that there is a thread, but I don't wanna search through 90 pages.
Quote by JDD331

B-52 AT212
MXR-101 Phase 90
DeltaLab DD-1 Delay
The Valveking doesn't become a great amp until the stock speaker is replaced, IMO.

Go with the B-52 if you're not interested in a bit of modding, but the distortion is a bit thin in comparison to the Valveking if you ask me.

Also the Valveking Thread has all the info you need on the first page.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Marshall JTM30 tube combo
made in the 90's
great clean channel
find them on ebay for under $500
How much would a good speaker be?

And if I bought a B-52, I could just buy an overdrive pedal right?

EDIT: ^ I'd prefer not to buy off of ebay
Quote by JDD331

B-52 AT212
MXR-101 Phase 90
DeltaLab DD-1 Delay
Quote by Raijouta
The Valveking doesn't become a great amp until the stock speaker is replaced, IMO.

Go with the B-52 if you're not interested in a bit of modding, but the distortion is a bit thin in comparison to the Valveking if you ask me.

Also the Valveking Thread has all the info you need on the first page.

+1 to everything here. Damn you Raijouta, you always say exactly what I'm thinking before I even get here.

I would replace the speaker with a Warehouse Veteren 30 (basically a Vintage 30 clone.) That's what I did to mine. Clips on my profile. Not great, though, I was using a cheap mic I found somewhere.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by zero_123
And if I bought a B-52, I could just buy an overdrive pedal right?

Yes. Some options for overdrives:

Ibanez TS9 $100
Digitech Bad Monkey $50 (I have this pedal and it's a nice cheap overdrive)
Fulltone OCD $145 (I'm GASing for this right now)

If your on a budget, just get the Bad Monkey, as long as your not gigging, which i'm assuming your not, it will be fine.
Buying an amp just to spend another big chunk of change to mod it is a waste of money imo. The B-52 sounds better either way

Used, you may be able to find a Marshall JCM900, Mesa DC-3, DC-5, F-30 or F-50, which would do the trick.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Used, you may be able to find a Marshall JCM900, Mesa DC-3, DC-5, F-30 or F-50, which would do the trick.

All way above $500 :\
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by Exo M7
All way above $500 :\

I see all of those quite frequently in the $500 - 600 range
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by AJS19
Yes. Some options for overdrives:

Ibanez TS9 $100
Digitech Bad Monkey $50 (I have this pedal and it's a nice cheap overdrive)
Fulltone OCD $145 (I'm GASing for this right now)

If your on a budget, just get the Bad Monkey, as long as your not gigging, which i'm assuming your not, it will be fine.

So the b52 isn't loud enough? Or are you saying the bad monkey isn't good enough?

If I get the B52, I would still have some room for some decent pedals, better than the bad monkey

EDIT: I'm gonna keep on checking craigslist for stuff like Marshalls.
Quote by JDD331

B-52 AT212
MXR-101 Phase 90
DeltaLab DD-1 Delay
i would recommend a peavey valveking 212, they may say they have crappy speakers, but i disagree, i played on, thing sounds a million times better than my crappy old fender frontman 15g. plus its not a over priced amp for the amount of loudness and quality you get from it.
^ I'm reading that price at about $650....that isn't a little over $500
Quote by JDD331

B-52 AT212
MXR-101 Phase 90
DeltaLab DD-1 Delay
Quote by zero_123
So the b52 isn't loud enough? Or are you saying the bad monkey isn't good enough?

If I get the B52, I would still have some room for some decent pedals, better than the bad monkey

Well, the distortion on the B-52 is semi-thin but I guess if you like that/don't it's up to you. If you get the B-52 get at least a TS9, my Bad Monkey has moved off my pedal board because my Orange Tiny Terror's "distortion" is great. So I really don't use it, but I want that Fulltone OCD I mentioned earlier so I can dabble into metal by pushing my amps distortion even harder. Just my 2 cents.

EDIT:
IMO, ValveKing =
I played one, and it did sound better than a Frontman 15 Strat pack amp, but, it sounded so, disgusting and solidstate-ish, then i played on the Classic 30 right next to it. HEAVEN. Anyways, I suppose it depends on what genre's you play!
Last edited by AJS19 at Dec 24, 2008,
i would go with the b 52 and a nice OD. The bad monkey is a good overdrive pedal, but if you have more money to drop maybe get a digitech handwire series OD. they are great. Other than that just try out a maxon od 808 or tube screamers and see what you like.

Im not a fan of the valvekings, but try it out and see if you like it.
Id go with the valveking, i have heard cases of the B-52 having very bad reliability issues, so i went to guitar center and tried one out. What happened? The thing stopped working completely when i tried it, no sound or nothing, and it sounded like it blew up when it stopped. If you get a valveking, id do the dummy jack insert mod, and the jumper cable mod. Also get a badmonkey, and replace the speaker and you have a really nice new amp. If you have any questions about the valveking then just check the valveking thread, or pm IbanezPsycho.