Page 1 of 5
I'll start. I thought frets were smaller up top so the maker could fit more on.

Turns out, it's to get the intonation right.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I thought pickup covers made a pickup better. I thought a Les Paul was the ultimate guitar and that strats were crap(Ironic that now I'd prefer a Fender over a Gibson). Otherwise, not much out of the ordinary.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
I thought all trems were the same and as such did divebombs on my Squier Strat...then wondered why it went totally out of tune!

I also used to believe that tuning wasn't too important cause no-one would be able to tell anyway....
i thought a searchbar was something to be avoided at all costs. boy was i stupid
Quote by skankingeasy
I always thought Clapton never lived up to his potential.

Quote by Chrisiphone
My grandma didn't have built in effects

Quote by Gargantuan

We are not worthy

Quote by Scoopy_3
A7x own!!!

^the ultimate argument agaisnt a7x.
i thought a starcaster by fender was good because it said fender....umm...
Squirrels>all other animals group

Quote by Prophet of Page
I don't recommend passive pickups for any kind of blues tone. Ideally, you'd want a passive pickup with a reasonably low level of output.
When I first got an electric guitar, I played it, and said "It doesn't sound like an electric guitar"
and then I plugged it into an amp. I played it and said "IT STILL doesn't sound like an electric guitar" because it was on clean. And I started lessons. When I plugged into his amp, my guitar was distorted. He assumed I knew about distortion so he never told me about it. So it went on. For 3 months. NOBODY TOLD ME. Then I went on the internet, and heard about Overdrive and Distortion and said pretty much every amp had a switch for it. I looked on mine, and couldn't find it! (OD, not overdrive, nitwit) and finally I asked my teacher and brought my amp in. :| He told me and oh god I felt like an idiot.

I write songs.
YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO THEM
Currently Requiring Crits:
none
i wanted a guitar without a tapered neck

but all of them are

Quote by mattman93
This, atheists talk about religion more then religious people.

Youtube
I thought it was gonna be easy...then i actually picked one up
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Oh, and I didn't know what an open string was until I started lessons. I thought the "frets" in tabs were what fingers you used to play the string. D:

I write songs.
YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO THEM
Currently Requiring Crits:
none
Quote by nemjeff13
I thought it was gonna be easy...then i actually picked one up

me too....

Quote by Prophet of Page
I don't recommend passive pickups for any kind of blues tone. Ideally, you'd want a passive pickup with a reasonably low level of output.
I know a lot of people who think that if they are good at Guitar Hero they think they'll be good at the real thing.
Quote by WyvernOmega
Oh, and I didn't know what an open string was until I started lessons. I thought the "frets" in tabs were what fingers you used to play the string. D:

That would be sweet to have 22 fingers
1 for each fret
That means i could finally play smoke on the water!

Quote by mattman93
This, atheists talk about religion more then religious people.

Youtube
I thought playing the song on guitar hero meant you can play it on a real guitar.
Now I just want to slap anyone who still thinks so..
i thought all guitars sounded and felt the same and it just depended on what u wanted it to look like

doesn't get much stupider than that
#57 in UG Top 100 2010!

I really ought to get my username changed...
I thought I could just mess with the tuners and magically find the perfect tuning, when I tried this, I broke a few strings. I also thought when I re-strung a guitar, and left the excess string hanging, that when a string broke, I could use that extra string hanging off, and put the broken string back on. Damn was I wrong.
Quote by PhillyHendrix
i thought all guitars sounded and felt the same and it just depended on what u wanted it to look like

I used to think the same!

I could never understand why people would pay thousands when you could pick up a guitar that looked the same for like 50 quid.....needless to say I've learnt since then!
I remembered my first time re-stringing my guitar. I like wrapped the string around the peg and hopefully it coiled lol.
I thought Fender's sucked and because it was a Marshall, it was kick-ass.

Yeah, I was the "br00tz metalzhed" when I started.
oh and the first time i playing a guitar i thought you were supposed to push inbetween the strings....i am an idiot

Quote by Prophet of Page
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
I remembered my first time re-stringing my guitar. I like wrapped the string around the peg and hopefully it coiled lol.

Haha, It took me about an hour and a half to restring my guitar the first time I ever did it.
I thought that I could crank the amp and get the power tube distortion if I lowered the volume on my guitar...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
i had no idea about tunings, like atall..... obv im self taught.

2 years later i can nearly drop to C standard by ear lol
Bazza

Epiphone Les Paul Special ll w/ an SD Dimebucker and a Dean Zebra neck pup
Bugera 333xl Head
Bugera 412-bk Cab
Roland Cube 15
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Dan Electro tuna-melt
EHX Metal Muff

Bugera Lover!
i also remember that when it came to buying picks, you went by colour lol
Bazza

Epiphone Les Paul Special ll w/ an SD Dimebucker and a Dean Zebra neck pup
Bugera 333xl Head
Bugera 412-bk Cab
Roland Cube 15
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Dan Electro tuna-melt
EHX Metal Muff

Bugera Lover!
Quote by oneblackened
I'll start. I thought frets were smaller up top so the maker could fit more on.

Turns out, it's to get the intonation right.

Wow, I just learnt something.

I've been playing for 3 years too haha
Gear:
Godin Freeway Classic
Ibanez Concord Acoustic
Roland Cube 30x
Zoom G2
Quote by PhillyHendrix

Aha me too! I also thought that because I found it difficult to play my cheap stratocaster replica (which only cost me $60 tax incl.) that ALL guitars were that difficult to play.
Quote by aznrockerdude
I thought that I could crank the amp and get the power tube distortion if I lowered the volume on my guitar...

Son of a bitch.
I thought that kurt kobains was a very good composer because the chords on "Smells like teen spirit" were far away from eachother ond the fretboard
Ruinas Circulares
Quote by eahilder
i thought a starcaster by fender was good because it said fender....umm...

Same..... Got Ripped off

Also thought trem was soo amazin until ti broke, and Covers on pups made it better
-Jake Blackwood
Quote by jebus19
i thought it could help me getting girls...

much lols....

+1
Is bad ass one or two words?
Quote by guitar351
Same..... Got Ripped off

Also thought trem was soo amazin until ti broke, and Covers on pups made it better

lol mine broke too...the trem that is

Quote by Prophet of Page
I thought I wanted a Fender.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
I thought that Arpeggios, or as I called them at that time "single notes" didn't exist on guitar, then after getting mad, I figured out how to play Smoke on the Water on my first day, and realized that you could play "single notes"

Boy, have I come a long way in just a year.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
also thought you pushed on the fret wire to make it play. Also thought O.D. on my sp-10 meant "overly Destructive". 3 Days it took me to restring my guitar the first time, and broke the strings doin it. Smoke on the watter was imposibly hard wen i thought the fret wire thing....
-Jake Blackwood
Oh, and I thought that a string only needed to be changed when it snaps.
Quote by guitar351
also thought you pushed on the fret wire to make it play. Also thought O.D. on my sp-10 meant "overly Destructive". 3 Days it took me to restring my guitar the first time, and broke the strings doin it. Smoke on the watter was imposibly hard wen i thought the fret wire thing....

+1 to the fretwire thing.

Also, I thought the gain knob on my Studio 10S meant volume Gain, because I never turned it past 5, and all i noticed was more volume added to it.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
I thought all the sound came from the guitar and an amp was just an annoying necessity that did nothing for the sound except made it louder.

I thought you had to put your finger on the fretwire itself.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Page 1 of 5