I'm still uneducated a ton on music theory. I'm working on John Mayer's Belief.

The song, I have concluded, is in D natural minor.

He uses Blues and something else in his album solo on Continuum.
I'm wondering if I improv or make my own solo to it. What scales would be good to use.

Dm:
Minor Pentatonic
Minor Blues
straight up Natural Minor

Maybe stuff in F Maj because it's all same notes

but sticking with Dm, what scales?
use your ears. whichever sounds best, use. i'd mix all of it up, natural minor, blues, and pentatonic.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Generally your best option is to stick to Dminor and play as many chord tones as possible (especially over strong beats). This will produce a great solo.

Seeing as it's John Mayer (blues right?), you might want to ge tricky and use a minor pentatonic scale with the occasional out of scale note. Try to experiment to see which out of scale notes sound good.

You should also learn your theory. It gets really helpfull, like when you find an out of scale note which sounds good, you can call it an interval and than use this interval when you're playing over a song in a different key and still get the same effect (just by using this interval).
So yeah, learn intervals.
learn how to map noted over the fretboard key, dont learn scales.
This will produce a crappy solo.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
you seem to have it pretty well nutted out.. for that John Mayor type feel you wouldnt want to be using much other than the Dm pentatonic with the few extra notes relating to the natural minor and the flat 5 from the blues scale, so yeah you have the right idea..

as mullen said, you want to be able to find the notes anywhere on the fretboard. so i'd say, learn the scale's shape and then memorize the notes (d,f,g,a,c,d) which is the pentatonic, and then find other places on the fretboard where you can access those notes to vary the sound a little..

hope that helps
Quote by kai29
I'm still uneducated a ton on music theory. I'm working on John Mayer's Belief.

The song, I have concluded, is in D natural minor.

He uses Blues and something else in his album solo on Continuum.
I'm wondering if I improv or make my own solo to it. What scales would be good to use.

Dm:
Minor Pentatonic
Minor Blues
straight up Natural Minor

Maybe stuff in F Maj because it's all same notes

but sticking with Dm, what scales?
Could you ell me why you would try to play the F major scale over something in D minor?
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
Could you ell me why you would try to play the F major scale over something in D minor?

no, but i wouldn't focus on the F note, i'd use the D in the scale to focus one and work around

Dm is Fmaj relative minor, so i didn't see why not, if i focused on the D note
that's the part where i said i am not educated in theory

N E ways

I know the notes in those scales and the shapes and boxes up and down the fretboard, I just didn't know if any of the modal type scales would work

Such as mixolydian or another one.

Thanks everyone for the help
If the song is in D minor then you CANNOT play in F major - the chord progression dictates what scale those notes will form, you can't just pick and choose.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I would use a D dorian as long as there are no Gm chords becuase then the 3rds will clash. But mainly stay on chord tones and just use the rest of the notes to fill in the chord tone line.
80's Fender Jazzmaster
1976 Gibson L6s
Epiphone sheraton
Late 60's Univox High Flyer Custom Deluxe
Vintage fendr twin
Fuzz Face
Zakk Wylde Wah