Okay so I went into guitarcenter to get new p-ups, and the guy talked me into buying 2 seymour duncan hotrails, and a dimebucker. it costed 300$

i went home to try and solder them in but then i realized that i had no idea what the hell i was doing, so I took it to the shop, gave them the pickups, and my guitar. they didnt even tell me how much it was going to cost, and they fed me bull**** like "you need new potientiometers and 5-way.." and **** like that.

like two weeks later the install was done, and they charged me $130.

so the whole thing costed around 430 bucks and im kind of regretting getting these p-ups when I could've gotten a better guitar
I think i got jipped by these asshole salesmen because they said that they would be easy to install, but they weren't
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Crate V33 212 Combo
DigiTech Whammy IV
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR Classic Distortion
Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Boss GE-7 Equalizer

The pickups were a good price but you got ripped off with the installing.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
You got ripped on the install i doubt you needed new pots unless you wanted them to be different values and you might have needed a 5-way, .

Since you said you tried to install them yourself, I am assuming you already have a soldering iron.

You should have read a tutorial to learn for yourself, its better in the long run
Those are the prices they charge everyone, so no you didn't get ripped off. Whether those prices are fair the for the actual work that is done is a whole different discussion, but you don't have a reason to be mad at them.

The only person you should be mad is yourself for not bothering to do a little research before spending so much money.
Last edited by T!AN at Dec 23, 2008,
next time dont be lazy and read a tutorial. soldering isnt as hard as some may lead you to believe.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
Holy **** you spent $430 to put 2 hotrails and a dimebucker in your guitar?
They may have not ripped you off as far as putting in new pots if it was a Fender, humbuckers usually need 500K pots to sound good and Fenders use 250K pots if I recall correctly.
I charge about $40.00 for a simple install of two pups probably $50.00 for three depending on the guitar and wiring but I don't do it for a living and I do it at home. The pups are about right Duncans are not cheap but worth the dough.

Putting that kind of dough in a Squier was a big no no! An affinity only costs about $170.00 new. If you brought it to me I would have told you to return the pups and trade in the guitar and buy something better. I would have installed the pups if the customer insisted You really would have been better off just upgrading to a better guitar. He was right about changing the eletronics I think the Squier pots and switches are cheap if your going to put in good pups you need to put in good good pots.

I usually would never tell someone to buy Fender Strats but you could have gotten this for just $20.00 more or less with a trade in of you Squire:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-HSS-Electric-Guitar?sku=501160

John
Any ways i'm thinking of eventually upgrading to a Mexican fender and swapping the two pickguards. That wouldn't be too hard for me to do ,right?
Crate V33 212 Combo
DigiTech Whammy IV
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR Classic Distortion
Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Boss GE-7 Equalizer

Swapping the pick gaurd on fenders is easy but I am not too sure if they will be exactly the same. You could remover everything from the Squire and just replace it on the Fender pick Gaurd easily. Did you tell the salesman at GC you were getting the pups for a Squier? He should have recommended for you to just upgrade to a better guitar.

John
Quote by johnro6659
I charge about $40.00 for a simple install of two pups probably $50.00 for three depending on the guitar and wiring but I don't do it for a living and I do it at home. The pups are about right Duncans are not cheap but worth the dough.

Putting that kind of dough in a Squier was a big no no! An affinity only costs about $170.00 new. If you brought it to me I would have told you to return the pups and trade in the guitar and buy something better. I would have installed the pups if the customer insisted You really would have been better off just upgrading to a better guitar. He was right about changing the eletronics I think the Squier pots and switches are cheap if your going to put in good pups you need to put in good good pots.

I usually would never tell someone to buy Fender Strats but you could have gotten this for just $20.00 more or less with a trade in of you Squire:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-HSS-Electric-Guitar?sku=501160

John

Remember something John, it all depends. The affinity series tends to use the same wood as standard fender strat and tele's. Being this said it's a really no big difference. If you get an Squier telly special for 170 and invest on it like 150 bucks it is cheaper than the fender standard and you would end with the same thing...
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Quote by Line6
Remember something John, it all depends. The affinity series tends to use the same wood as standard fender strat and tele's. Being this said it's a really no big difference. If you get an Squier telly special for 170 and invest on it like 150 bucks it is cheaper than the fender standard and you would end with the same thing...

So since they have the same wood it would be pointless to buy a MIM, and change pickguard
Crate V33 212 Combo
DigiTech Whammy IV
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR Classic Distortion
Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Boss GE-7 Equalizer

Quote by whiteraven119
They may have not ripped you off as far as putting in new pots if it was a Fender, humbuckers usually need 500K pots to sound good and Fenders use 250K pots if I recall correctly.

What? Putting 500k pots into a strat with a dimebucker in the bridge is going to result in the most ice picky, ear piercing treble one has ever heard.
Even if it's the same wood it could be as many as ten peices of wood laminated to make the body the quality is just not there and a Squier will never hold value like a true Fender will.

John
Guitar Center wanted to charge me $80 to fix my tremolo...ugh!!

I came here and the UG Army showed me how to do it myself with
less than a dollar at the hardware store and 3 mins.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Quote by al112987
What? Putting 500k pots into a strat with a dimebucker in the bridge is going to result in the most ice picky, ear piercing treble one has ever heard.

Yeah, my guitar is VERY, VERY trebley when i use that pickup...
Crate V33 212 Combo
DigiTech Whammy IV
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR Classic Distortion
Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Boss GE-7 Equalizer

Quote by random_B-RAD
The pickups were a good price but you got ripped off with the installing.

Not in the US they weren't. They shouldn't have cost more than $230.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
that being said it was probably stupid to take the advice from someone at guitar center. based on my own experience the people who work there know very little about the gear they're trying to sell.
Quote by al112987
that being said it was probably stupid to take the advice from someone at guitar center. based on my own experience the people who work there know very little about the gear they're trying to sell.

ya I wish I did a little more research. I went in there not knowing what to buy, and I ended up being stupid and just buying whatever they said.
Crate V33 212 Combo
DigiTech Whammy IV
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR Classic Distortion
Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Boss GE-7 Equalizer

a lesson learned, never take the advice from a GC employee. I never walk into a GC unless I already know exactly what I want.
yeah man i got ripped for my installation too it was about 140 to install a seymour duncan jazz and dimebucker they are great pickups but cost me only about 300-350 bucks when the installation was nearly half of that some guys charge more i guess because it means getting off their butt and doing work or because they know you will ultimately give into it because you have no idea how to solder
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Schecter Omen 6
Line 6 Spider III
Dunlop Classic Wah
MXR Phase 90
That is ridiculous, $140 for a pickup swap. A job that literally takes about an hour (and that's if you include the time it takes to take the strings off, clean the guitar and fretboard, swap pickups and replace the strings).
yeah i know man i was pissed but the next closest guitar store is about 1 hour away and what was i gonna do and time-wise it took about 2 days 1 day longer then he said it wouldve haha i was like just give me the guitar by that point haha i just wish i was good at soldering i suck at changing pickups i know how but i cannot do it at all maybe i will put an ad on craigslist for someone in my local area that will do it i bet i can find someone
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Schecter Omen 6
Line 6 Spider III
Dunlop Classic Wah
MXR Phase 90
soldering is really very easy, I pretty much learned how to solder by changing the pickups on my les paul. of course I did a pretty shoddy job on it, after I formally learned how and built an amp, I went back and redid all the connections in my guitar. Haha