Does anyone know where I can learn all these scales like Major, Minor, Pentatonic, that kind of stuff? I've been playing for a year but just decided to learn this now but a lot of this confuses me. I'm looking for something that shows me how to play the scale like in a tab like this:

e-----------------------0-3-0------------------------------
B-------------------0-3-------3-0--------------------------
G--------------0-2-----------------2-0---------------------
D----------0-2-------------------------2-0-----------------
A------0-2---------------------------------2-0-------------
E--0-3------------------------------------------3-0--------

I get confused when it only shows the names of notes so it'd be a lot easier to just practice off of a tab. Thanks!
use guitar pro. thats what i do. i select the scale i want, then i click on the virtual fretboard and click on all the notes in descending order. than i just save them and refer back to them when needed. i can make some for you, if you want me to. just give me the scale and i'll make it for you, up and down the fingerboard. if you dont have guitar pro, than i'll make you the tabs for them.
Theres tons of free sites online..

Google *Scale Generator*...*Chord Generator*..or even *Chord progression generator*
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
The tabs are good, but make sure you can name the notes that you're playing and there relations to the root. The tab you posted is an E Minor pentatonic.
To be brave is to take action in spite of fear. It is impossible to be brave without first being afraid. To take action without fear is not brave, it is foolish.
check out my site in the sig, it has ****loads of different scales. You can pick from 150+ scales and view them all over the fretboard in any tuning without ****ing with the tabs
Quote by ironazn
Does anyone know where I can learn all these scales like Major, Minor, Pentatonic, that kind of stuff? I've been playing for a year but just decided to learn this now but a lot of this confuses me. I'm looking for something that shows me how to play the scale like in a tab like this:

e-----------------------0-3-0------------------------------
B-------------------0-3-------3-0--------------------------
G--------------0-2-----------------2-0---------------------
D----------0-2-------------------------2-0-----------------
A------0-2---------------------------------2-0-------------
E--0-3------------------------------------------3-0--------

I get confused when it only shows the names of notes so it'd be a lot easier to just practice off of a tab. Thanks!

There's no point learning a load of scale patterns from tabs unless you also learn about the scale itself - you need to learn the notes a scale contains and also the intervals, and to be able to apply that you need to know the notes on the fretboard. You should also start with the major scale as everything else links back to it, again if you don't know it you're not going to be able to properly understand anything else....there's little point practising something if you don't actually know what it is or why you're practicing it.

Have a read of Josh Urban's Crusade articles in the columns section.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Dec 24, 2008,