I finally have enough money saved for my Ultimate Attenuator (if you haven't heard of this thing, google and youtube this marvel) but I'm realizing that it's a pretty hefty price. I can get one for 420 new, and I just wanted to know if anything else comes close, considering the level of transparency with lots of attenuation and the fact it can be used with any amp of any impedence and wattage level ever. What do you guys think? I'm kind of a no compromise guy and my current band and home situation requires low volume and I have a Legacy (my neighbors heard it in their homes across the street with the amp pointing the opposite direction when the volume was at 3...) so it's a problem.

Thoughts?
"Don't panic, everything is falling neatly out of order"
- Douglas Adams
Quote by Otnip
I can get one for 420 new

lol 420
Gear:
Fender MIA Strat w/EMG SA's
Fender Super 60
Boss RT-20 Rotary Sim
Ibanez AD-9 Analog Delay
EHX Big Muff

"Doctor Kindly Tell Your Wife
That I'm Alive, Flowers Thrive
Realise, Realise, Realise"
Do you really need something that good? If you have the money and don't mind spending it, go for it by all means, but I really don't think a Weber MASS or a THD Hot Plate is going to do you bad.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
I'll let you in on the secret of life as far as wide open amp tone. Many people here have heard this pitch before, but it works (check the VH "Unchained" clip in my profile for an example-I'm still working on ways to record it better).
If you're really a no compromise guy, you'll need a Palmer PDI03 speaker simulator/load box (a THD Hot Plate will work OK, but the line out feature on the Palmer is much better IMO). You route the cranked amp's speaker output to the load box. The box converts your cranked amp's signal to a line level (guitar cable) signal out of the line-out. You send this through your FX (FX can be used in front of the main amp if desired, but produce less noise after the line-out). After the FX, it goes into a separate clean power amp that drives your cabs (your main amp is hooked up to load only-no cabs). The power amp can be a cheap unit (I only have a $99 Crate Power Block for a power amp. I've used clean settings on my other amps, but the Crate travels easier). The separate power amp regulates overall volume & it sounds like your main amp cranked, but it can be dialed down to whisper volume. There is zero tone loss as with an attenuator of ANY KIND (I don't care how ultimate the attenuator is-you'll lose some bark). This sh!t works. It's what EVH did for years.
Good luck!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
The hot plate is really overpriced and sucks tone badly.

--------

Anyway, it depends how badly you really need it. I've always really felt that attenuators were only really necessary for the non-master volume Marshall/vintage amp type. It's not really for bedroom use, I mean, people do use it for that, but it's really mostly to keep things like Marshall plexis at suitable stage volumes. I mean, if you're not satisfied with your tone at lower volumes then by all means an attenuator might be what you need.
Quote by riffhog
I'll let you in on the secret of life as far as wide open amp tone. Many people here have heard this pitch before, but it works (check the VH "Unchained" clip in my profile for an example-I'm still working on ways to record it better).
If you're really a no compromise guy, you'll need a Palmer PDI03 speaker simulator/load box (a THD Hot Plate will work OK, but the line out feature on the Palmer is much better IMO). You route the cranked amp's speaker output to the load box. The box converts your cranked amp's signal to a line level (guitar cable) signal out of the line-out. You send this through your FX (FX can be used in front of the main amp if desired, but produce less noise after the line-out). After the FX, it goes into a separate clean power amp that drives your cabs (your main amp is hooked up to load only-no cabs). The power amp can be a cheap unit (I only have a $99 Crate Power Block for a power amp. I've used clean settings on my other amps, but the Crate travels easier). The separate power amp regulates overall volume & it sounds like your main amp cranked, but it can be dialed down to whisper volume. There is zero tone loss as with an attenuator of ANY KIND (I don't care how ultimate the attenuator is-you'll lose some bark). This sh!t works. It's what EVH did for years.
Good luck!

I'm guessing I could do that with me MASS since it has a line out? Then run that to the power block then into the speaker in the cab?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by riffhog
I'll let you in on the secret of life as far as wide open amp tone.

That sounds...awesome
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by riffhog
I'll let you in on the secret of life as far as wide open amp tone. EDITED: SEE ABOVE FOR FULL TEXT

I'm a little bit skeptical about that, but if it really works...damn, I would love to do that to tone down my 50-watt amp.
Quote by mikewaz
I'm a little bit skeptical about that, but if it really works...damn, I would love to do that to tone down my 50-watt amp.

It works great but keep in mind that is in no way a cheap alternative to an attenuator (as there is nothing cheap about a re-amping setup).
I'm aware it would not be cheap to do since you have to get a line out box and a power amplifier, but I absolutely love the tones I can get out of my monster. I'd play it all the time, but 50 watts of all-tube power is far too loud to even turn up to 9 o'clock in my apartment. I bought a smaller amp to get around the loudness problem and the loss of tone from the attenuator, but I miss not having two channels.

On a slightly different topic, since the Crate Power Block is discontinued and only available sporadically on eBay and other places, does anyone have a suggestion for a cheap power amp that would work with this kind of a setup?
Quote by mikewaz
I'm aware it would not be cheap to do since you have to get a line out box and a power amplifier, but I absolutely love the tones I can get out of my monster. I'd play it all the time, but 50 watts of all-tube power is far too loud to even turn up to 9 o'clock in my apartment. I bought a smaller amp to get around the loudness problem and the loss of tone from the attenuator, but I miss not having two channels.

On a slightly different topic, since the Crate Power Block is discontinued and only available sporadically on eBay and other places, does anyone have a suggestion for a cheap power amp that would work with this kind of a setup?

Nothing to be skeptical about, my friend. It works remarkably well, but as stated above, it's def not cheap. EVH used a rig like that on all the early stuff. Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top uses a re-amp rig a lot. I'm sure many others do too, but don't want to let anyone in on their secrets. I've used it for almost 2 years, & it gets teh tonez. As al112987 said, though, it DOES work best on non-master volume amps (mine is a 50w non-master vol Mojave Scorpion. EVH used old an old plexi non-master vol).

Any clean power amp will work. I used to use a home stereo receiver, & it actually sounds pretty good. The ideal setup would be a EL34 loaded VHT, a Randall, or a Mesa power amp to really warm up the tone, but they're SOOO expensive.

Kevin-if your MASS is the correctly matched load, you should be good to go! Let me know how it goes .
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Thanks for the replies, seems like the Ultimate is the way to go for the price point and flexibility. I've heard of the EVH trick, I'll settle for something a little less expensive though
- Douglas Adams
Quote by enemy120
lol 420

amen

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by forsaknazrael
I don't think a dummy load + power amp is more expensive. A Crate Power Block used to go for 100 bucks. you can get a dummy load for less than 300 bucks, for sure.

You can't find Power Blocks for $100 anymore. I've found a few on Craigslist for under $200, and there are some on eBay for a bit over $200 as well. Any other kind of amplifier you could conceivably use with this setup that's still being made would likely provide far more features than are necessary and would be MUCH more expensive.

You are right about the dummy load though. The Hot Plate is around $300, and since I assume it does, the Weber MASS units are under $200 for most of the wattage options.
Hmmm, so this sounds now like a cheaper alternative?
- Douglas Adams