Hey Guys,

I finally bit the bullet and bought a set of Rock Monkey Guitar pickups. They arrived in the mail today, but i have not installed them yet. Do any of you guys have any simple installation tips or tricks? I'm very comfortable with a soldering iron, i just don't know much about the physical guitar side of the world. Anyone have any issues doing this? Should I scrap this whole self-installation idea and pay a tech?

BTW, I would recommend chris' product to anyone here. The customization options and customer service alone are unbeatable. I just now need to figure out if they sound alright... .

Thanks!
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
Home-Built Germanium Fuzz Face
MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
2 Fender Blues Juniors
any thoughts?
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
2 Fender Blues Juniors
It's easy enough.

Follow this http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=tone_f_bp for the wiring up. I don't know what the colour codes are for your wires - I assume you know that.

That's all there is too it - if you can drive a soldering iron it's a 30 minute job to take the strings off, take off your pick guard, remove the old pickups from the pickguard, de-solder the old ones, and solder in the new ones and re-assemble.

Good Luck.

EDIT: Note that diagram will get your tone working on all three pickups.
1 simple tip.

Make a diagram of the existing wiring before you take it apart. Take a photo if you like. Just know where everything went before you put in the new pickups because if you aren't changing any settings (control knob functions, pickup switching options etc) it's just a straight like-for-like swap.

Which set did you go for by the way? I'm in the market for some strat replacement pups myself :P
Rock Monkey.

62 Smooth Groove in the neck, 62 Smooth Groove in the bridge, and a Calibrated Gorilla Groove in the bridge.
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
2 Fender Blues Juniors
Everything has been said, but if you are wanting to try anything new out as far as different wiring now would be a good time to do it as you already have everything apart.

Personally I rarely touch the tone control, and when I do I hate having the two separate controls for it, I prefer just a master volume. My current and favored set up for strats is to use a MV and a MT control, and put in a switch where the middle tone would be, to turn the bridge pickup on/off that way you can get N/B and N/M/B combinations. I also like to set up the tone control with the 50s gibson mod. It removes the need for a treble bleeder on the volume control, I have all my guitars wired up with the 50s mod, I don't know why it isn't standard for every one.
Well they're installed... it was quite the ordeal.

But, nothing has been damaged and i figured out a really clever new way to easily star ground a guitar: just solder all the grounds together and put a bunch of tape around them. Yeah. Hi-tech i know. but its effective and now i have no ground loops. my guitar is quieter than before.
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
2 Fender Blues Juniors
Sooo...how do they sound? I'm assuming you had regular MIM ceramic pickups before?
Sound is incredible. John Mayer in the neck and middle. They sound amazing with my modded tubescreamer. The bridge pickup has this upper midrange bite that is just incredible with fuzz. Its a really versatile guitar.

My only complaint is that they're slightly microphonic. Is this normal with vintage style pickups?
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
2 Fender Blues Juniors