Hey guys,
Just wondering how to get my guitar into drop b tuning so that i can play songs such as before i forget. What i mean is like, how many times do i have to press the flat button on my tuner (one press = down half step) so that my strings are in drop b?
Thanks
ok, so if it is:
C#
G#
E
B
F#
B
Then, how many times to i press the flat button for each string? sorry for this, but these tunings confuse me a little
press it 3 times for strings adgbe and 5 for E
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
There's a very easy way for you to know at a glance how many times to press the flat button on your tuner to get to any drop tuning. Look at a guitar fretboard chart and starting at the 12th fret, count backwards along the low E string until you reach the note that you desire for the tuning you want. The 12th fret is 0, 11-1, 10-2 and so on. Each fret back = one press of the flat button, or one semitone. Since the note B is on the 7th fret, you had to count back 5 times to get to it right? Press your flat button 5 times. You need to know the relationship between all of the strings for some of the tunings, but for the basic drops and open tunings, this works perfectly when you start from concert tuning of EADGBe.
Say you want to tune to open C#. How many button presses based on what I told you?
3 is right, since the C# note is 3 frets back from the 12th fret. Then you want to do a drop B beyond that, make sure you press the flat button 5 times to retune your low E string to the B note(5 flat symbols showing on the readout).
Just curious, and probably a dumb question, but why do you have to press the flat button at all on your tuner? My tuner will display the note and frequency for me as I turn the tuning knobs.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
If it's not a chromatic tuner, then they put the flat button on it so that you can tune to half notes. A chromatic tuner shows all of the notes, both flats and sharps and homes in on them as you are tuning up. Each one has their good and bad points. True accuracy comes from an accurate strobe tuner.
Quote by LeftyDave
If it's not a chromatic tuner, then they put the flat button on it so that you can tune to half notes. A chromatic tuner shows all of the notes, both flats and sharps and homes in on them as you are tuning up. Each one has their good and bad points. True accuracy comes from an accurate strobe tuner.

Gotcha.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212