I am looking for an amp that can go from 60's jangle-pop (The Zombies, Beatles, Byrds, etc.), to glam-rock (David Bowie, Bon Jovi, etc.), and can get a decent jazz tone.

Tube
Combo
15-30 Watts
Gig-worthy quality

My budget is $500-$1000

I'm in a small town so these are the only brands we have:

B-52
Kustom
Marshall
Mesa
Peavey
Roland
Vox

Any suggestions?
Vox AC30
Peavey Classic 30
Mesa Lonestar*
Peavey Delta Blues
Vox AC15
Mesa Stiletto*
Mesa .50 Caliber*
Mesa F-30*
Mesa DC-3*

* indicates used.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I tried the Classic 30, its okay but not good enough cleans. Also the only Peavey they carry is Classic 30.

I'll be trying the Vox AC15 soon. But if that doesnt work, what else?
The Vox AC30 is one of the better cleans you can get. I'd go play one.
My Rig.
Destroyed.. UGH
Ibanez RG321MH w/ EMG 81/85, Fender Telecaster, Fender Stratocaster
--
1967 Fender Princeton
Boss TU-2 --> Boss MT-2 --> Maxon OD9 -->Boss DD-6
--
Past Gear:
5150 Blockletter, Avatar 412, Vox AC30, ISP Decimator.
The AC30 would probably be better than the AC15, I find that the 15 is a better blues/classic rock amp where as the AC30 is the best jangle pop/indie amp out there.

Of course, if you're not averse to getting a light distortion/fuzz pedal the Roland Jazz Chorus could be a road to travel down also. Some find the clean a bit sterile, but I love it. It's more watts than you want, but remember its also SS and sounds great at low volumes.

A Kustom Defender may also be one to consider, although it's 50 tube watts. Great cleans for jazz and jangle (although I only tried one at 3 in a music shop) and from what I hear it has a Marshall-esque crunch.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Since you don't like the Classic 30 (neither do I), I can't think of anything other than maybe a Ceriatone clone of a Fender amp? I'm sorry but I hardly know anything about them, maybe you should check out their website and look into it.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
+1 to the vox ac30...the ac30cc2 is really cool. I love mine. its got good cleans and pretty good overdrive.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Shadow_666,

I tried the Roland Jazz Chorus and it sounded bassy, even with the treble maxed and a treble booster, it was still bassy. It sounded more like a bass-amp than anything.

Kustom '36 Coupe or Defender would be worth a try, but down here they only carry SS Kustoms.
On the Vox AC15, is there a way to bypass the tremolo? Oh duh, footswitch. Never mind.

I'm an idiot.
A Ceriatone still sounds right up your alley. I've heard nothing but good things about them, but I don't know how expensive they are after they get put together and shipped (of course if you could put it together yourself you'd save a lot of money).
Quote by Cathbard
Wait, with the Jazz chorus, you thought it was too bassy, so you turned up the treble?
You didn't touch the bass control?

Anyways, if you're worried about using dad's Ampeg, i'd definitely look into an AC30.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Just make a decision and stop making these threads.

Here's what will happen, we'll give you a bunch of suggestions, you'll shoot them down/say you can't try them/say you'll try them, you won't decide on anything and open another thread tomorrow, sound about right?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
UGH darkarbiter7, the bass was on 0, as was the mids. I think the tweeter may have been out or something.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Just make a decision and stop making these threads.

Here's what will happen, we'll give you a bunch of suggestions, you'll shoot them down/say you can't try them/say you'll try them, you won't decide on anything and open another thread tomorrow, sound about right?

Sounds right to me.
Yeah neppy, sometimes you have to bite the bullet and buy what sounds good to you.
And after you do buy something, post clips and pics, because we at least deserve that after we've diligently posted in your threads to guide you towards nice gear.

^oh, got it.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Get an Ampeg jet. Or a Superjet. Or a Reverberocket.
idk bout beatles but the amp i have can deffinately do glam and hair, i use the second channel (OD) with a boss sd-1 in front of it and the tones are great i use the high gain for solos with a touch of the amps delay and reverb its a great budget amp

edit: crate gtd in my sig
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
I cant buy what sounds good to me, because I havent found it yet.

Otherwise I would.

Also as a side-thread...

There's this guy that owns a local independent shop that I go to once in a blue moon. The guy has the following set up:

G&L Tele of some sort (not sure which model)
some synthesizer thing, I think its the Roland GK or something.
into 2 Kustom 35W Quads
then into a PA.

He CLAIMS that he uses these because they get the sound he wants without having to crank, and he uses 2 of them to keep the same tone but be able to get loud volumes.

^I'm not sure if thats the salesman talking (the shop has a rep for being a bunch of yahoo's and jerks at best), or if this guy doesnt get it.

What do y'all think?
Get a 5150! Great for pop, excellent cleans and the gain isnt overpowering!
My Rig.
Destroyed.. UGH
Ibanez RG321MH w/ EMG 81/85, Fender Telecaster, Fender Stratocaster
--
1967 Fender Princeton
Boss TU-2 --> Boss MT-2 --> Maxon OD9 -->Boss DD-6
--
Past Gear:
5150 Blockletter, Avatar 412, Vox AC30, ISP Decimator.
Don't listen to salesmen. Especially when the shop has a bad rep.
I think it's kind of a weird set up.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
To the salesguy, you could mic a pocket amp and he would think it would sound good.

Its funny, but sad.

I only go there because they are the only ones who carry Kustom and Peavey. Otherwise I wouldnt.

and yeah his tone sucks too.

Its shrill, thin, and scratchy. And his bass runs seem to feedback and hiss quite alot.
ac30, hands down. i finally played one for the first time the other day, and now i'm in love
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.