Page 1 of 2
Hmm thought there would be a thread for John McLaughlin, but seeing as there isnt who digs this guy? One of my personal favorites with his blazing speed and twisted licks.
'Music is the best"
Zappa
I have the first two he did with the Mahavishnu Orchestra....... two of my favorite CDs. I can't really get into much of his solo work.
a bit lacking in 'soul' for me, although i do have the 'birds of fire' album which was good.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by Second Rate
I have the first two he did with the Mahavishnu Orchestra....... two of my favorite CDs. I can't really get into much of his solo work.

you might dig "Devotion" one of his earlier than the mahavishnu orchestra solo albums...pretty cool
'Music is the best"
Zappa
Ive got Inner Mounting Flame and Birds of Fire. I always enjoy his electric work. I read somewhere that he did a bunch of eastern indian acoustic stuff(i enjoy some stuff like that= ali akbar khan) but i dont know where to start.... suggestions??
"See the Glory Of the Royal Scam"
Quote by dr_john
a bit lacking in 'soul' for me, although i do have the 'birds of fire' album which was good.

it's amazing how you will find that one guy who says some dumb **** like this.

anyway, that kind of retardation aside, you guys should check out the song McLaughlin wrote along with the Indian Classical vocalist Shankar Mahadevan, for the "Miles from India" album. It's the title track. Majestic, beautiful, and essentially McLaughlin.
Quote by Dchild042
I read somewhere that he did a bunch of eastern indian acoustic stuff(i enjoy some stuff like that= ali akbar khan) but i dont know where to start.... suggestions??

I'm spellbound that there are people here in this forum, who are digging cats like Ali Akbar Khan (factoid: Derek Trucks takes lessons from him on the sarod). Renews my faith in humanity for the day.

I would highly recommend any of the albums by the original Shakti line-up. My favorite by far is the album Natural Elements. But really, you simply cannot go wrong picking up ANY of the Shakti albums. Also look out for the Remember Shakti line-up which has mandolin virtuoso U. Srinivas, Indian Classical vocalist Shankar Mahadevan, and Carnatic percussionist V. Selvaganesh. Of course you have J.Mc and Zakir Hussain from the original line-up. This also often features a rotating cast of other Indian Classical musicians, and the results are inevitably awesome!

I would also recommend one of McLaughlin's earlier solo albums, My Goals Beyond. This is one of those desert island albums, and also one in which you really begin to see McLaughlin taking the train East.

Since you already are on your way to exploring Indian Classical, I would also highly recommend South Indian Carnatic slide guitar player Vishwa Mohan Bhatt. This cat played live at the Crossroads Guitar Festival a couple of years ago. He's a divine monster!
John McLaughlin might be my favorite guitar player of all time, and he's one of my primary musical heroes overall.

I think he's a profoundly soulful musician, but in the way Coltrane was, not in the way B.B. King is. For me he perfectly combines elements of form (technique, discipline, understanding of pitch/harmony/time) and force (soul, divine inspiration, emotion, whatever you want to call it), and he could serve as a nearly perfect role model for aspiring artists.

I love his old stuff, but my favorite of his work is relatively recent. "The Heart of Things" (and the same group's "Live in Paris") is an incredible fusion album, on par with just about any Weather Report or Return to Forever record. Of his older solo albums, I love "Electric Guitarist" and the live Mahavishnu LP, "Between Nothingness and Eternity."

Some people trash him for running his sound through a computer synthisizer these days, but I think that's silly. I love his sound, and I don't care how he gets it.

Thanks for starting this thread!
Quote by Axegrinder#9
it's amazing how you will find that one guy who says some dumb **** like this.

anyway, that kind of retardation aside, you guys should check out the song McLaughlin wrote along with the Indian Classical vocalist Shankar Mahadevan, for the "Miles from India" album. It's the title track. Majestic, beautiful, and essentially McLaughlin.

it's my opinion and i am entitled to it.

merry christmas.
- Jimi Hendrix
I'm seeing McLaughlin live in Sydney in February with Chick Corea in their Five Peace Band, it's the thing I'm most looking forward to next year.
He just released an album recently called Floating Point, with a quintet as the nucleus, but an extra musician from India added on each track, so he's got wooden flutes, sitars, soprano saxes, mandolins... it's fantastic. McLaughlin actually said he thinks it's some of his best work ever, and I must say it's pretty amazing stuff.
But yeah, I also love his Heart of Things work which heavyweather77 already mentioned, as well as the Que Alegria trio album. Not to mention his 70s work with Miles and Mahavishnu, all fantastic.

whats everyones favorite McLaughlin song or favorite song from the Mahavishnu Orchestra?

Meeting of the Spirits is my favorite right now and im tryin to figure out the whole song, pretty cool song and not too hard to learn.
'Music is the best"
Zappa
Miles Beyond is my favorite song of his with Mahavishnu. But Birds of Fire, Meeting of the Spirits, Thousand Island Park all follow in a very close second.
Quote by Axegrinder#9
I'm spellbound that there are people here in this forum, who are digging cats like Ali Akbar Khan (factoid: Derek Trucks takes lessons from him on the sarod). Renews my faith in humanity for the day.

That's great. I had read that Trucks went to his School in California. He's a master of the sarod.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Quote by Gris-Gris-Man
whats everyones favorite McLaughlin song or favorite song from the Mahavishnu Orchestra?

Meeting of the Spirits is my favorite right now and im tryin to figure out the whole song, pretty cool song and not too hard to learn.

Yeah, Meeting of the Spirits is probably my favourite Mahavishnu piece, along with Lotus on Irish Streams. As for McLaughlin in general, I'd have to go for Belo Horizonte from his album Que Alegria.

Quote by Gris-Gris-Man

I think my favorite McLaughlin tune is "Mother Tongues," which is on two of his live albums: "Live at the Royal Festival Hall" with his trio and "Live in Paris" by the Heart of Things band. It's a ridiculous tune!
yea its pretty cool^^^^^^have you heard "Love Devotion Surrender" by John and Carlos?
'Music is the best"
Zappa
He is so good, I saw him with Al deMeola and Paco de Lucia playing accoustics all night...that was a looong time ago.
first time i heard him, when i was first learning guitar, it went right over my head, so i didnt get into it.

however, now that im actually a jazz player i really enjoy his stuff. he might be the best player in the world, not my favorite, but def. the best.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
did anyone give any other mahavishnu orchestra albums besides "inner mountain flame" and "birds of fire"?

i think Apocalypse, Inner Worlds, and Visions of the Emerald Beyond are pretty cool. No one seems to know about them or even give em a listen
'Music is the best"
Zappa
Has anyone heard the Live Acoustic guitar trio of John Mclaughlin, Al Di Meola, and Paco de Lucia? I think any jazz fan would like it. Very beautiful work.....

^Also, yes i have heard the other albums but i still prefer Birds Of Fire. Its been one of the most influential albums to me.

EDIT: I didnt read the earlier post about the trio by Tempoe. However it is still great.
Last edited by Dchild042 at Jan 7, 2009,
Quote by Dchild042
Has anyone heard the Live Acoustic guitar trio of John Mclaughlin, Al Di Meola, and Paco de Lucia? I think any jazz fan would like it. Very beautiful work.....

I haven't heard the live album they did, but I've heard the reunion album they did in 1995 (I think) called "the guitar trio" and I really love the music.

Quote by Gris-Gris-Man
did anyone give any other mahavishnu orchestra albums besides "inner mountain flame" and "birds of fire"?

i think Apocalypse, Inner Worlds, and Visions of the Emerald Beyond are pretty cool. No one seems to know about them or even give em a listen

I speak for myself here, but I think a lot of people share the opinion that the first two albums are the "classic" Mahavishnu albums in a sense, because the lineup changed so much after Birds of Fire. The rest seem to be McLaughlin experiments under the Mahavishnu name to me. Not that there's anything wrong with that of course, I haven't heard the albums after Birds of Fire so I can't judge them either way, but I just think the first two are the more traditional Mahavishnu albums.

Last edited by pangui at Jan 8, 2009,
Yea for the most part you got it right, line up changed dramatically but Jean Luc Ponty for one isnt a bad substitute at all! anyway Mahavishnu was a name given to John so im pretty sure thats why he kept the name of the band that way, plus he was the main song writer in the first two albums. And yes they are the classics, but thats like saying ive heard the classic Yes albums (The Yes Album, Fragile, and Close to the Edge) and not listening to the others.

but anyway give em a listen, i recommend "Visions of the Emerald Beyond" before any others, that one is pretty great. If you like Symphonic Jazz/Rock you'll dig "Apocalypse". And if you're into funky and bizarre fusion then get "Inner Worlds".
'Music is the best"
Zappa
Last edited by Gris-Gris-Man at Jan 8, 2009,
Alright, thanks for the tips. I just discovered the other day that my next door neighbour has a passion for McLaughlin, and he has most of the Mahavishnu stuff as well as Shakti, and I think all of his solo recordings up to around 1990. I've already borrowed a Remember Shakti album and Mile's Live-Evil, I'll check out some of the later Mahavishnu next.

Quote by pangui
Alright, thanks for the tips. I just discovered the other day that my next door neighbour has a passion for McLaughlin, and he has most of the Mahavishnu stuff as well as Shakti, and I think all of his solo recordings up to around 1990. I've already borrowed a Remember Shakti album and Mile's Live-Evil, I'll check out some of the later Mahavishnu next.

hold a chronic session with your neighbor then, seems like a good man.
yea trees are good while listening to McLaughlin's music....i think he was constantly high
'Music is the best"
Zappa
Quote by dr_john

I think he's great but sometimes I do kind of agree with this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xryB02ExLp8&feature=related
He's almost the Jazz version of a shredder.
Almost.
But I think that's just his style of music; you could say bebop is "lacking in soul," but these styles are just more of a musician's genre. McLaughlin can be a very outside jazz musician, on the verge of non-musical virtuosity, but I think there's very much a place for that in the Jazz world, giving people relief from (as well as being a response to) just melodic playing. And to say his playing doesn't have soul just doesn't seem completely right to me. His music is meant to be harsh, it's meant to be different, to be something never done before. All the tension evokes an emotional response inside of people though it's much more aggressive and jarring, and I think that's what music has to do: evoke an emotional response.

(Btw, if you don't get it, the youtube guy is being sarcastic)
Quote by The Horror!
McLaughlin can be a very outside jazz musician, on the verge of non-musical virtuosity

by non-musical if you mean bordering on the avant-garde or free jazz, that is a very oblique look at his music, which is complex, but very much musical. If you read interviews, he actually stays away from the avant grade free jazz meanderings of cats like Ornette Coleman.

And also what do you mean by saying that his music is harsh? I would recommend that you listen to his solo album 'My Goals Beyond' to rectify your opinion on that.
Quote by Axegrinder#9
by non-musical if you mean bordering on the avant-garde or free jazz...

Well by "non-musical virtuosity" I mean that his playing can sometimes feel like, "Hey, look how many notes I can play in the shortest amount of time." I'm not saying it's not complex, or that he's a bad guitarist, (he's one of my favorite), he just sometimes puts showcasing his own instrumental skills above musicality. The thing is I know he can play emotionally, I have heard "My Goals Beyond," another of my favorites of where he plays more sensitively being the album "Guitar Trio" with Meola and Lucia, he just doesn't always do that. "The Inner Mounting Flame" is one of my favorite albums in general, as it showcases both more emotional pieces along with pretty heavy, furious stuff as well (harsh was probably just bad choice of words). But take that time he played Cherokee on the Tonight Show; it was great, but sometimes you just feel like he could be more about the notes he played, and less about how many; play fewer notes, but make each really count, you know?
^^^^^ Ive always felt that those fast runs show a certain emotion. For instance, in Thousand Island Park the fast runs he go though make me tense up and the song actually takes me on an experience. I guess it differs for each person but i actually enjoy the fast parts in his music and i find them extremely soulful. Also, i would understand if he just went on a 10 minute solo where he was playing fast as ****, that would probably showing off. But usually he only plays fast in some parts of the song to build intensity, i've always seen McLaughlin as a very unselfish player.
Yeah I agree, the best solos are the ones that build up to a physically fast emotional climax, but a lot of times McLaughlin just treats everything like a fast climax, and plays crazy fast for the whole song or solo.
But when he doesn't, he's amazing!
I just bought Apocalypse today. Its totally taken me by surprise. I was expecting it to be similar to Birds Of Fire. Its a whole new feel though, I love the classical influences and the Orchestra. Holy ****, im in awe right now.
Last edited by Dchild042 at Feb 15, 2009,
Electric Guitarist is so good! love that album...New York on My Mind puts me in a weird place of emotion and Do You Hear the Voices You Left Behind is just brilliant. Extrapolation is a pretty nifty album itself. but anyway i dont know how anyone could possibly say this guy has no emotion just cause he plays fast
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEVXS13An1g

look at his face while he's playing, if thats not emotion than i dont know what is.
'Music is the best"
Zappa
Quote by The Horror!
Yeah I agree, the best solos are the ones that build up to a physically fast emotional climax, but a lot of times McLaughlin just treats everything like a fast climax, and plays crazy fast for the whole song or solo.
But when he doesn't, he's amazing!

well, that's really what i originally was referring to, but to get an idiotic reply to my first post using such words as 'retardation' shows a basic inability to accept others opinions.

loved the youtube vid btw!
- Jimi Hendrix
so upset. he and chick corea are playing right now in adelaide. my friend got tickets, but being the poor student i am i couldnt afford a ticket.
you are hearing me talk

CHECK OUT MY TUNES ON MY PROFILE

Gear:

laney VC30
tele/jaguar hybrid
Big muff
Small clone chorus
memory boy
Hadrwire RV-7 reverb
DD3 delay
Dunlop Crybaby wah
TS9 overdrive clone