I've played them both, but the stores wouldn't let me crank them past 2 or 3 so I couldn't test their clean headroom, which is my main requirement. I also need an effects loop. Which would be better for me?

I play all forms of alternative and punk rock, and I have a modded Big Muff for distortion so that isn't a requirement.

And no, I can't look used and I don't like Classic 30s, so don't go there.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
The Kustom Defender does not have an effects loop and is a single channel amp.
I think the quick switch biasing for 6L6s or EL34s is a cool feature.

The Crate v50 has an effects loop and is a 2 channel amp. It also costs about half as much as the Kustom. I'm not sure if it is being discontinued or not but the price has dropped on these quickly.

I've played on the v50 but couldn't crank it enough to see how long it stayed clean. It had a nice clean tone.

I haven't tried the Defender but Guitar World did a video review of it and it sounded nice.
I forgot to mention; in Australia, the Crate and Kustom cost about the same. My budget is $1000AUD.

Do I really need an effects loop, or can I just put everything between my guitar and amp like I do with my Cube?
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Anyone got an opinion?
Quote by Cathbard
I'm not sure about this, but in Aus can't you get an all tube orange for that kind of money?
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
I've never seen a defender. I have only tried the coupe series and they were alright except the lead channel was way brighter than the clean channel.
My band.
www.myspace.com/bransonny

My gear.
Marshall: JCM800 2205, 6100, 1960AV
H&K: Triamp MKII, Duotone
Mesa: Recto recording pre, 212
2 Avatar 412 (v30's)
Gibson: LP std, SG std, SG goth, SG spec
G&L ASAT classic
Martin DC-16GTE
Quote by Ninja Penguin77
I'm not sure about this, but in Aus can't you get an all tube orange for that kind of money?

Tiny Terror, and I don't like them much as they suck with pedals and break up too early for me.

I'd go with the Defender. The lack of effects loop isn't an issue if you're using the Muff as your dirt and there are about a trillion different options for getting the sound you want out of it.

I use other pedals too, but right now I gotta say I'm leaning toward the Defender.
Quote by Cathbard