I need a good mic to record some of my original songs, and to record some covers for my band. Anyone have any good suggestions? Highest I want to spent is like $100, but I'd rather not spend that much on a mic, but if necessary I will. I only need it to record guitar, so I hope that helps.
Last edited by The_Shape at Dec 23, 2008,
If you're only recording guitars, for that price range you can't go wrong with a Shure SM57. Not so sure that's a good choice for studio vocals too though.
Quote by whiteraven119
If you're only recording guitars, for that price range you can't go wrong with a Shure SM57. Not so sure that's a good choice for studio vocals too though.

Yeah I'm just recording guitar, I should have mentioned that. I'll edit the post.
Dude, this is going to sound completely retarded. But a RockBand mic.

Check my profile for some samples.

It works pretty well, for just doing guitars. If you want to go high-end though, definately the Shure SM57. It's been standard for ages.

EDIT: The hiss in the background is my amp and computer combined I just noticed it.... I really need to isolate it when I record stuff
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Dec 23, 2008,
Quote by stratman_13
Dude, this is going to sound completely retarded. But a RockBand mic.

Check my profile for some samples.

It works pretty well, for just doing guitars. If you want to go high-end though, definately the Shure SM57. It's been standard for ages.

Dude, I'm not gonna lie, I laughed when I read this post. But dude...I have Rock Band and the mic...I'm seriously gonna try that. I'm gonna laugh even more if it actually works even slightly decent. Though even if it does I'll probably get that SM57.
Quote by The_Shape
Dude, I'm not gonna lie, I laughed when I read this post. But dude...I have Rock Band and the mic...I'm seriously gonna try that. I'm gonna laugh even more if it actually works even slightly decent.

Seriously man. Check my profile.

It works. Me and my friends discovered it completely by accident

I'll post a pic of where I am right now if you don't believe me
--

--
I think Musician's Friend has the SM57 for right around $100 right now... go for it dude, you won't regret it.
Quote by stratman_13
Seriously man. Check my profile.

It works. Me and my friends discovered it completely by accident

I'll post a pic of where I am right now if you don't believe me

Dude don't worry I believe you. Thanks for the help everyone!
Rock Band Mic

My PC

The UG Screen

And my amp and guitar

EDIT: You son of a bitch!!! lol I spent all this time

Cheers mate
--

--
Quote by stratman_13
Rock Band Mic

My PC

The UG Screen

And my amp and guitar

EDIT: You son of a bitch!!! lol I spent all this time

Cheers mate

Well I already believed you but at least now I know for sure!
sm57 is the standard for guitar micing
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
the sm57 is an all around good mic. You can use it on a lot of different things such as vocals and snare drums. The sennheiser e609 is a pretty good amp mic too.
My band.
www.myspace.com/bransonny

My gear.
Marshall: JCM800 2205, 6100, 1960AV
H&K: Triamp MKII, Duotone
Mesa: Recto recording pre, 212
2 Avatar 412 (v30's)
Gibson: LP std, SG std, SG goth, SG spec
G&L ASAT classic
Martin DC-16GTE
So basically u hook the rock band mic into the usb port on your PC and then mic it to the front of your amp? Or am i wrong?