So, I've sold off some old gear and want to buy a new toy.
I was thinking either a Fender Deluxe Ash American Strat or a Gibson Les Paul Studio.
I already have an Epiphone Les Paul Custom and an LTD KH-602 so I thought a Strat would give me more tonal options.
Cheers
24 BEER A DAY
EV'RY DAY
well do you want fender sound or gibson sound?
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Not sure if this counts as versus thread because its not talking about personal opinion, but your actually looking to buy.. but beware if people reporting due to thread title alone..
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
If you think it will give you more tonal options then go for the strat. They're fine guitars.
Do you want a thick crunchy sound or a sharp clear sound?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
doesn't the rules specifically say no vs threads?
#57 in UG Top 100 2010!

I really ought to get my username changed...
the les paul studio has reliability issues and isn't all that much better than the epiphone les paul custom you have. I would go for the Strat.
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile
Quote by PhillyHendrix

Reading what TS said after the title ussually helps...
Quote by funkymonkz
the les paul studio has reliability issues and isn't all that much better than the epiphone les paul custom you have. I would go for the Strat.

I'm curious as to what kind of "reliability' issues a guitar really has.
Quote by al112987

Me to. I've played a few, they all seem fine to me.
At my local store, I've actually found problems in 2 LP Customs, while the Studios were perfect.
Pick flowers not fights.
Make love not war.
Drop acid not bombs.

Quote by al112987

Pickups going out, the head cracking off(I saw it happen to, embarrassingly to GC, a floor odel an employee was demonstrating), and hardware f***ing up.

While I agree Gibsons electronics are crap, saying that the Epiphone is a more reliable guitar in comparison is just plain laughable to me. I've seen more issues in Epiphone les pauls than I've seen in any other guitar (though this matters very little as they're usually easy fixes).

That being said, if one cares about his tone, he would get rid of the stock electronics anyway and put in quality caps and pots.

As for the head cracking off, I've never seen that happen on any guitar randomly without some sort of blow to the headstock. But regardless, les pauls are notoriously weak at the headstock, it's just a characteristic of the guitar's design.
I missed the Epiphone thing, sorry about that. I agree then, Gibson > Epiphone unless you get a bad one.

And agreed here as well.

It was probably a lemon with a weak bit of wood there, but it still happened. ;P

On equal price guitars, I'd take the Fender any day of the week.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
i've never seen pickups just 'go out' on a guitar, especially one that wasn't already a couple decades old at least...and how does the hardware just 'f*ck up'? the hardware on LP style guitars is pretty much fixed...unless you've got some rigged floyd rose installed on your LP i don't see how the hardware is just gonna mess up on you. and it's hard for them NOT to notice from the factory that there's something wrong with the hardware...it's either good or it's not (non-moving parts i mean).

are we sure it's not just a 'Gibson LP Studios are garbage' bandwagon thing going on? as far as i understood, their quality hasn't plummeted, it's just the price per quality ratio has skyrocketed for Gibson.

but what do i know..
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by slash_rocks2005
i've never seen pickups just 'go out' on a guitar, especially one that wasn't already a couple decades old at least...and how does the hardware just 'f*ck up'? the hardware on LP style guitars is pretty much fixed...unless you've got some rigged floyd rose installed on your LP i don't see how the hardware is just gonna mess up on you. and it's hard for them NOT to notice from the factory that there's something wrong with the hardware...it's either good or it's not (non-moving parts i mean).

are we sure it's not just a 'Gibson LP Studios are garbage' bandwagon thing going on? as far as i understood, their quality hasn't plummeted, it's just the price per quality ratio has skyrocketed for Gibson.

but what do i know..

Gibson definitely has quality control issues these days but I'm most surprised to see that all the bashing goes towards the studio when the Standard suffers from the exact same QC issues that the studio does, all while costing twice the price of a studio. The entire line of Gibson USA production models have some of the same problems but the prices on the standards are ridiculous. The extra to have fretboard and body binding, a figured top, and upgraded pickups is not really worth an extra $1000 in my book. And on top of this I've seen the same problems with uneven frets, imperfections in finish and the same poor factory setup out of the les paul standards. My next les paul is either coming from the custom shop or from Japan.

What I don't get is when people say that the standard production Epiphones are better guitars and that you're just paying for the name with guitars like the studio when 1) the studios are the standard with some cosmetic differences and different pickups 2) a studio still uses better hardware, higher quality woods, better electronics and are better built than just about all the Epiphones barring the MIJ Elitist line (which cost about the same as the studios anyway). I don't even know how many times I've heard "just replace the pickups and you pretty much have the same guitar," when it's obviously not the case. Most of these people either 1) are following a bandwagon opinion or 2) really have no experience whatsoever with high end gear. Through my JTM45, one can hear the difference between a Gibson and an Epiphone. Even through the same pickups.
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 24, 2008,
^ Mostly true, but I'd still take an MiJ Epi over a low end Gibson any day of the week.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
depends on your musical tastes. i have owned a couple of les pauls in the past but am now strictly a strat man, partly down to my musical style and partly to what feels right to me.

you have to go and try both. i know what works for me, i'd have the strat any day but that doesn't make it right for everybody.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
In terms of playability I'd take a strat, but in terms of sound and aesthetics I'd go les paul.
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
Well for music style, I have the LTD to play my metal, and the Epi for something ummm, less metal I guess. I thought the Strat would be great for some early rock and blues. I'm a huge SRV fan and love a Strat's neck pickup but I also love crazy thrash metal hence the LTD. Thinking of going with the Fender route; it gives me more playing options although Les Pauls work for blues too...
24 BEER A DAY
EV'RY DAY
Quote by PhillyHendrix

Rock and Roll is all about not following the rules! Why do people worry about such petty crap? And the little nerds who sit around and report every little thing! Damn Narks!
I think Strats are a more versatile guitar, but I prefer playing Gibsons. I actually dislike the feel of playing a strat, but everytime I own one & sell it, I find I need that sound again. I've owned 3 Strats, sold them all, and again, just bought another on ebay yesterday. Nothing can duplicate that Strat Quack.

And a note on LP Studios... While the new ones suffer from the general downfall in Gibson QC, late 80's-early 90's LP Studios were great. I got mine new in '92 when they were putting ebony fretboards and good tuners (not the green key-Kluson style) on them. It has the same pickups a LP Custom has, stays in tune quite well, and has never electronically let me down once.
1977 Gibson Les Paul Special DC
1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio
2006 PRS CE22
2006 Fender American Telecaster Deluxe
2006 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Acoustic
Orange Rocker 30 Amplifier
More pedals than I know what to do with...
Quote by bassisto
I was thinking either a Fender Deluxe Ash American Strat or a Gibson Les Paul Studio.
I already have an Epiphone Les Paul Custom and an LTD KH-602 so I thought a Strat would give me more tonal options.
Cheers

I hate to sound rude, but decide for yourself. If you want a strat sound, buy a strat. If you want a les paul sound, buy a les paul. If you need someone to tell you which one you should buy, then you don't know what you want, and shouldn't get anything, because getting a guitar because someone told you to instead of because you like it is dumb.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Played them both, bought the Strat. This thing is amazing!
Thanks for some input.
24 BEER A DAY
EV'RY DAY
Quote by bassisto
Cheers

i dont ussually take part in the gibson v. fender issue because they're so different
its like compareing buckethead to kurt cabain
and the only reason this issue comes up is because when we were all little guitar noobs we all either wanted a fender or a gibson wich is mainly because thy're just about the most popular stuffs out they're
(ps i say get the strat and throw a nice bucker in the bridge position)
(oh and can some one expain to me the S-1 swithcing system and its advantages over a 5-way switch)
fight the power... with peace

Originally Posted by Cockpuncher 2.0
Fail town, population you

When God said "Let there be light", Joey Jordison said "Say please".

Man is a universe within himself
Bob Marley
Pox!
gibson is a good guitar but fender is to.So it depends on what your style or what feels good to you.
1. this is a vs thread
2. there are 100 other threads like this
3. go for gibson
i always thought that gibsons were better than strats. To me, Gibsons ar better because the place where the neck meets the body, therer isnt a big cube, just a smooth place to run your hand over.

I think this guy is a troll, he probably hasnt checked this yet.
Fender's clean tones are great but fr metal not as good but on the other hand the les paul is a good guitar to play really anything.
What do you folks think of the Epiphone Elitist Les Paul '57 Goldtop ? If it's been set up, do you think a 2005 would be worth a grand?

Dil
What do you folks think of the Epiphone Elitist Les Paul '57 Goldtop ? If it's been set up, do you think a 2005 would be worth a grand?

Dil
IMO The Elitists beat out similarly-prices Gibsons. Go for it, definitely worth 1k.

Out of those I would buy the Fender, but thats just because I don't like the Studio's neck.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
I cant get near a Gibson price wise, too spendy. How is that you feel that the elitist is better than many low end Gibsons? Thx, Dil
If you want Gibson go with Explorer.
If you like a jazz sound fender is for you.
i get gibson.....
Without you I fall to Peices
Fallen Symphony
Your Tears Fall
"No one helped me get to where I am today, I did this all my own. I lived, loved, and died for you. And you still left me out."