i have been listening to a lot of Allen Holdsworth, Frank Gambale and Brett Garsed etc. I have been wondering for ages about some of the types of chord progressions these players are using as they seem extremely complex. for example the common 2-5-1 progression used in simple jazz songs..

so yeah, anyone know of some typical progressions associated with fusion?
Well... if you're listening to those guys there aren't any typical progressions. What I'd advise you do is you buy Holdsworth's "Uncommon Chord" transcription booklet (not Melody Chords, it's rubbish ) and take a look at the voicings and chords he uses. I don't think I can really be arsed to go into Holdsy's chord style atm, and I what little I know I learnt it from books, listening and imitation anyway, so I doubt you'll have trouble with that.

Gambale and Garsed's chord progressions don't really interest me tbh, so I never studied them.
typical is not a word that seems to work in fusion..listen to inner mounting flame by mahavishnu...the one track from that CD that would have a recognizable progression might be "you know you know" (Bmi Amaj Emi Gmaj)...and even there the execution is demanding...complex rhythm and scales

the "how to play fusion" book wont be out for a few more decads...the terms "rock" "jazz" are lost in this style of playing...as are many of the traditional rules of harmony, melody and rythem...

its an attitude that is still being developed and explored by some of the finest musicians...miles davis pushed the door open on this style with "in a silent way" and "bitches brew"....some with simple melody lines integrated in complex rhythms and some very interesting harmonic structures

my take: when playing this style is the use of diminished lines and chord structures using wide spaced intervals against traditional harmonic progressions...(ii7 V7...Emi7 A7...using D7b9 Gb7b9..thinking over those chords...creating all the tension you will need in solo lines that fusion exemplifies...add altered dominate chord arpeggios...chromatic and b5 b9 #5 #9 scales and arpeggios and staccato runs

and of course lots of practice

it is a very exciting style of playing and is very demanding...its not for everyone...could be why only some of the best players, mclaughlin, scolfield, corea...to name a few...get the essence of the style expressed with such precision and clarity...

play well

wolf
Fusion is very broad and you can't define fusion.

Fusion is like a pop, it's a term which doesn't define musical characteristics, but more a group or impression.

Just copy and incorporate music from artists that u like in ur playing, and let other people decide if it's called fusion or not.

Name doesn't matter, the music does.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Dec 24, 2008,