Hey guys & gals. As some of you may know, I have only been playing guitar for a couple months now. Specifically I've been playing since late May of this year, I don't recall the exact date.

Anyway, today I recorded myself using one of my dad's keyboard thingies/hardware. It had a input port and I used Cubase to get a track recording through it. So it used this hardware's on-board amplifier or effects or whatever it's called, it's not using my Traynor amp. I've put up the clips on my profile so you can take a look. There's a couple of mistakes here and there, you can tell my picking isn't perfect, but I think it's not too bad either.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/MustangSVT/music/

Let me know what you folks think. All comments & critique appreciated!
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
I listened to the "E major improvisation" you repeat alot of the same things a bit, then again so do I when doing improv. I can't tell if you're trying to bend in that sound clip but it sounds funny. I've only been at it for 9 months myself.

On the other hand don't worry about you're skill level because there really aren't different levels because it's just a matter of practice and dedication. Make sure you're having fun with the instrument and don't develop bad habits.

Forgot to add, play the music you love but get the basics down first. There's loads of stuff on this website as well as justin sandercoe's website (http://www.justinguitar.com/)
Last edited by Rave765 at Dec 24, 2008,
You sound excellent my friend. Probably better than me and Ive been at it for about a year.

Your Greensleeves rendition was very well paced!

I need to get a digital recorder so I can torture yall with my horrible playing. LOL
You're very good considering the amount of time you've been playing.

You have a good sense of timing. At some parts it did sound a bit robotic however. Try makingn it more fluent.

But keep up the good work.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
Wait, i don't get it: you said you've been playing for a couple of months, but also since May?

Anyway, that's pretty good, and you have great sense of timing without a metronome! I liked Greensleeves the best.

As a suggestion i would say try to use a more varied amount of different length notes. Throw in a real long bend or a quick flurry every now and then to spice it up. Good job though!
Thanks for the comments guys.

To Sacrebleu: now that you mention it, I realize that I need more diversity in terms of length of notes in my improvisation/solos. Right now I'm basically just doing quarter notes.

The greensleeves cover I kept time by just tapping my foot. For my improv and chord progression, I actually had a metronome going on in Cubase but it doesn't show up in the recording.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

hey man, you are doing fantastic, KEEP AT IT!!, ive only been playing since july so i shudnt be the one to talk but i will anyways lol. Practice your scale, hammer ons and pull off's to make your playing a bit more interesting. Also i would recommend you recording a rythym part (you of course) and then you lead over it. Also add a lil bit of distortion

MERRY CHRISTMAS MOST OF ALL !!!!!!!!
Quote by adlix
hey man, you are doing fantastic, KEEP AT IT!!, ive only been playing since july so i shudnt be the one to talk but i will anyways lol. Practice your scale, hammer ons and pull off's to make your playing a bit more interesting. Also i would recommend you recording a rythym part (you of course) and then you lead over it. Also add a lil bit of distortion

MERRY CHRISTMAS MOST OF ALL !!!!!!!!

Yes I was thinking of this just today. Record a chord progression/rhythm, and then record a lead and overlap them, yes this is a great idea.

And merry christmas!!

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

In Greensleeves you have a few notes that bleed over into the next note, and I would assume these are open strings. You have to notice that and how it sounds bad, and then make a conscious effort to stop it. It's annoying and frustrating at first, but you'll be accustomed to it before long. Good guitar playing is all about starting and stopping the right notes when they need to be. Other than that, you're doing okay so far.
Tbh I didn't really like those improvs, it obviously takes much more time to develop the ability to actually play anything you imagine. The progressions are nicely done, and Greensleeves are very well covered. I like the fact you actually play slowly but correctly, which a lot of newcomers don't. (Including me XD)