Hey guys

im thinking of buying a schecter c1 hellraiser fr off of ebay, and some descriptions say they have 81/85's and other 81tw/89.

whats the difference between the two, and if there is , which is better for metal? on the schecter website it says they should come with 81tw/89's.

PLEASE KEEP TO THE TOPIC OF THE THREAD AND ANSWER THE QUESTION

thanks.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Last edited by SOADriff at Dec 24, 2008,
Quote by Kurt-Corgan
81tw and 89's are coil tappable.

Newb question, what the hell does that mean.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
If I'm not mistaken I believe coil tap is the ability for the humbucker to be split and used as a single coil. I think...
^that's coil splitting, where only one of the coils of the humbucker is active, and it's a good way to get SC like sounds, but not quite alll the way SC in a sense. i forget what coil tapping is, but i think it's just a gimmick that's supposed to 'sound like a SC' but both coils are still active? i'll let someone who knows come and inform b/c i sure as heck don't know for sure.

coil splitting>coil tapping

slash_edit: coil tapping is NOT, i repeat, NOT coil SPLITTING. be careful about misinformation, though unintentional, it's still deadly. i know i've done it before.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
EMG 81/89 combo Hellraisers are the '08 models, the 81/85 are the '07 and older models. The pre-2008 models don't have tapped knobs.
my buddy has a s series schecter with the 81tw and 89 and there both completely active pickups but when u hit the coil tap it shuts off half of each humbucker basically and makes it single coils. So as slash_rocks2005 said its not coil splitting in a tradition sense but it gives a very good result me and my brother and my buddy agree that schecter has the best coil split/tap system out there cause it actually sounds like single coils which is the greatest invention ever in the guitar world. I was thinking of getting a v-1 with the coil tap n a floyd rose i love it so much. But virtually they sound the same as the 81 85 when humbucking mode is going.
Keep On Keepen' On
i have an 07 hellraiser avenger with the 85(n) and 81(b) pickups, and i think they have just as good tone as the 81tw and 89 pickups, even better perhaps, possible because i run mine in 18v. But the 81tw/89 are more versatile. Just see which you prefer, i'm about to swap mine around for the fun of it =)
81tw/89 is essentially the same as 81/85 when not in split mode. they just have the added feature of being splitable to achieve single coil-esque sounds like others have said above.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
the 81w in single mode is an SA. It gives strat like single coil cleans and is very versitile. I would always choose this over the 81 (kind of wish i did)
Last edited by Tempoe at Jan 9, 2009,
IMO 89/89 ftw.

The 81 is a tad too dry and compressed for my taste, tapped or untapped. The 89 has a pretty thick, and bouncy clean tone with an extra thick and beefy rhythm tone.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by slash_rocks2005
^that's coil splitting, where only one of the coils of the humbucker is active, and it's a good way to get SC like sounds, but not quite alll the way SC in a sense. i forget what coil tapping is, but i think it's just a gimmick that's supposed to 'sound like a SC' but both coils are still active? i'll let someone who knows come and inform b/c i sure as heck don't know for sure.

coil splitting>coil tapping

slash_edit: coil tapping is NOT, i repeat, NOT coil SPLITTING. be careful about misinformation, though unintentional, it's still deadly. i know i've done it before.

I believe coil-tapping just reduces the output slightly.
Here's a question for those who have split these pickups.

Is there a real difference when using high gain/distortion settings? I have some of my guitars set up to split the coils (passive Symour Duncans). You hear the difference in cleaner tones, but the high gain stuff seems to sound the same, tone-wise and output-wise, except I find that the full humbucker sounds more full when palm muting.
I don't know about the 89, but with the 81TW, when you split it, the gain drops considerably, and the gain is low on regular single coil EMGs, too. I'd recommend an EMG-Afterburner, or that switch with +/-20dB of gain for single coil use.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Also, the guys at EMG will tell you the 81 and 81TW sound exactly the same in humbucker mode, and they're lying.
I have a guitar with an 81TW, and a guitar with an 81, the 81 definitely has more bite.

If versatility matters, get the 81TW, but if you just want a pickup to be heavy with, get the 81.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
First of all i am going to tell you what each pickup is. The 81tw gives the same aggressive screaming tone that EMG 81s are known for. They are usually 9" thick but the 81TW is..22 inches thicker due to the dual preamps. Why dual preamps? Because these pups are whats called coil-splittable (NOT COIL TAP) which gives you the ability to disable one of the coils. So there is a preamp for full humbucking and one for single coil mode. Coil tap is when you tap into the windings of the pickup halfway through the winding to get a softer tone. Coil-splittable on the pups allows you via a push pull pot to split the coils and use only one coil in a humbucker which in the 81TW shuts off the coil closest to the neck keeping the coil closest to the bridge active to give a tele sound. The 89 and 89R are very similar to the 85 and are both coil splitable and also have dual preamps, one for full humbucking mode and one for the single coil mode But the difference between the 89 and 89R is most coil split pickups shuts off the coil closest to the neck but what the 89R does is cancels out the coil closer to the bridge so the coil closest to the neck is active giving a more strat like tone. It is very complicated if someone dosent sit down and spell it all out for you like i did here. I know i rambled on but that is what the 81TW, 89 and 89R are and what they do. I hoped to be able to draw a few wiring schematics so those that dont fully understand everything i wrote can physically see the difference. If you would like a wiring diagram e-mail me at rlewishughes@msn.com and i will send you a picture. I own the hellraiser and have done some mods such as removing the tone pot and upgrading from the FR 1000 to an actual Floyd Rose becuase specials are made with pot metal which has a tendency to crack under load and screws stripping out the threads. Ive had both these things happen to me with a Floyd Rose special. Hope this helps my fellow musicians. Keep jamming and remember practice makes perfect.
Who cares, the thread is four years old.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115