hey everyone im looking for a new amp and definitely an upgrade forget my budget right now just recommend what u think will be best. Im looking for an amp that sounds raw not digitalized and is very responsive to my fingers it doesnt have to be high gain but it has to have some overdrive and distortion in it and i enjoy really nice cleans doesnt matter if its warm or bright i like both just really nice cleans.
Some important facts:
Current Amp: Line 6 Spider III
Style of music: id like to be able to play anything with it so lets say: metal(again i can always use a distortion pedal so dont worry about extremely high gain), classic rock, van halen(nuff said), prog rock, shred(if thats a style), and i enjoy jazz every once in a while but focus on the other styles, finally, i really enjoy 80's metal/rock if that helps bands like bon jovi, scorpions, skid row, winger, and journey are my favorite, i enjoy rush and yes for the prog rock area if your interested thanks
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Schecter Omen 6
Line 6 Spider III
Dunlop Classic Wah
MXR Phase 90
Disregarding budget? If you have $4000 or so lying around, probably a Metropoulos '68 plexi with a Metro 4x12 and an Ultimate Attenuator.

A more reasonable option, Traynor YCV40.
thanks man those sound like promising amps and thanks for none of the regular old marshall talk haha i will check in to those i do not have 4000 dollars haha but itll be an investment if i end up liking it thanks
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Schecter Omen 6
Line 6 Spider III
Dunlop Classic Wah
MXR Phase 90
well the Metropoulos is a boutique handwired Marshall clone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_ae1P9w4Hw&feature=related

Really you're kind of looking for a Marshall-ish tone. especially if you're looking for something along the lines of VH or Journey...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR3Os80p0u4

Something like that really.

or this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFvhHbSRkf0&feature=related
i really am liking what i see but if possible how and where could i get a marshall 1968 era plexi please dont make fun of me for not knowing how rare they are or whatever for i am not a marshall user ive prolly played a little mg combo once at a gc
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Schecter Omen 6
Line 6 Spider III
Dunlop Classic Wah
MXR Phase 90
Ebay? craigslist if you get lucky. other than that maybe check local guitar shops and a few pawn shops once in awhile and wish for the best. the Traynor is very Marshall voiced though so definitely give it a try.
thanks i will definitely keep a look out for traynor plus only about 800 what can u wrong?
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Schecter Omen 6
Line 6 Spider III
Dunlop Classic Wah
MXR Phase 90
ah to be honest i find that marshalls can be limiting in the sounds produced with them.. you seem to want an amp that can reproduce sounds of many different styles. Although your looking at the traynors now i find that they can be extremely similar to marshall in thier limitations - a very grainy distortion and quite a dull clean are among the main cons of mine..

if i was you i would save the dollars as you will be greatful if you can afford something from mesa or bogner, both of which nicely produce the tones your looking for. and that being said, i know line 6 has put out a new valve amp instead of the old solid state.. this may be the one you already have, im not sure?
if not, check that one out, i hear good things about it for the price..
yeah ive messed with the line 6 valve at guitar center a couple of times now its very plain same sounding as mine but it can sustain loud volumes which can be helpful but im looking for a different tone and yeah limiting isnt really my style i guess i mean if i could get that brown sound i would be set but i am a more features guy ive always been interested in mesas more than bogners what type of mesa do you recommend for my desired tone in what ive stated?
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Schecter Omen 6
Line 6 Spider III
Dunlop Classic Wah
MXR Phase 90
can anyone give me any info on engls too i havent heard much about them and im wondering what they do from the look of them they look pretty promising judging on what i like can anyone tell me how they will match up for me
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Schecter Omen 6
Line 6 Spider III
Dunlop Classic Wah
MXR Phase 90
Quote by JoshLynch
ah to be honest i find that marshalls can be limiting in the sounds produced with them.. you seem to want an amp that can reproduce sounds of many different styles. Although your looking at the traynors now i find that they can be extremely similar to marshall in thier limitations - a very grainy distortion and quite a dull clean are among the main cons of mine..

if i was you i would save the dollars as you will be greatful if you can afford something from mesa or bogner, both of which nicely produce the tones your looking for. and that being said, i know line 6 has put out a new valve amp instead of the old solid state.. this may be the one you already have, im not sure?

arent the spider valves one of those hybrid tube/SS amps? are they really all valve?
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
Quote by JoshLynch

I'm curious as to how many Marshall's you've played? There is nothing limiting about a Marshall. Particularly if you're talking about plexi models, the Marshall is the most versatile amp in rock history, because it's the most player dynamic amp in rock history.

Blues players, country players, rock players, metal players, have all used it because despite it's simplicity, how it sounds is very dependent on the player's style. No one would ever get EVH's sound mixed up with Jimi Hendrix or Eric Clapton or Jimmy Page and yet all of them ran the exact same '68 Marshall super lead. Would you really call the clean tones of guys like Hendrix or Page dull? Marshall cleans are actually very bright, the only reason some people don't like them is because the amp breaks up early and if you're playing at loud volumes you get something like this:

http://www.germinoamps.com/audio/classic45/061307_4.mp3 (the Germino Classic 45 is a JTM45)

Which is actually a very desirable sound and sound much like the cleans of a '59 tweed Fender Bassman. It's certainly not "dull."

And are you really going to call the overdrive grainy, especially when you bring up a Mesa as an alternative? Maybe MGs or AVTs give you grainy overdrive but real Marshalls (JTM45s, SLPs, JMPs, 18 watters, etc.) give you touch sensitive break up that is dynamic and rich in harmonic overtones. Something completely different animal from the box of bees, oversaturated preamp gain of a Mesa/boogie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC_HsQahwP8

That is grainy to you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfCLYlzYO68&feature=related

Or that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3RX8FhdFDE&feature=related

That's what I consider a buzzy, grainy tone.
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 24, 2008,
Quote by al112987
I'm curious as to how many Marshall's you've played? There is nothing limiting about a Marshall. Particularly if you're talking about plexi models, the Marshall is the most versatile amp in rock history, because it's the most player dynamic amp in rock history.

Blues players, country players, rock players, metal players, have all used it because despite it's simplicity, how it sounds is very dependent on the player's style. No one would ever get EVH's sound mixed up with Jimi Hendrix or Eric Clapton or Jimmy Page and yet all of them ran the exact same '68 Marshall super lead. Would you really call the clean tones of guys like Hendrix or Page dull? Marshall cleans are actually very bright, the only reason some people don't like them is because the amp breaks up early and if you're playing at loud volumes you get something like this:

http://www.germinoamps.com/audio/classic45/061307_4.mp3 (the Germino Classic 45 is a JTM45)

Which is actually a very desirable sound and sound much like the cleans of a '59 tweed Fender Bassman. It's certainly not "dull."

And are you really going to call the overdrive grainy, especially when you bring up a Mesa as an alternative? Maybe MGs or AVTs give you grainy overdrive but real Marshalls (JTM45s, SLPs, JMPs, 18 watters, etc.) give you touch sensitive break up that is dynamic and rich in harmonic overtones. Something completely different animal from the box of bees, oversaturated preamp gain of a Mesa/boogie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC_HsQahwP8

That is grainy to you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfCLYlzYO68&feature=related

Or that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3RX8FhdFDE&feature=related

That's what I consider a buzzy, grainy tone.

yeah okay i can see where your coming from..

although i just speak from experience, i have owned a marshall for 3 years and i have never been satisfied. My amp is only a JCM 2000 which is admittedly a pathetic excuse for something as pure as the Marshalls you spoke of..

I guess it is personal taste but i have to dissagree with your statement of the plexi being the most player dynamic amp in history. I would also say that Pages tone wouldnt be what it is if he actually used the super lead for his clean sounds.. Dont get me wrong, Clapton, Slash, EVH, Hendrix are all massive influences and huge inspirations to me, they all have a very impressive guitar tone and you are correct about that in my eyes.. although i do not believe that a marshall will fulfill his needs as they just arent versatile, there's not a marshall amp that will cover all the tones specified in the opening post.. Mesa Rectifiers have been known to have quite a grainy overdrive, yes, but i was not referring to a rectifier necessarily..

Sygnates,

as for the engl's

they are my personal choice, but these are generally aimed at the higher gain range of amplification and once again not all that versatile for the tones that you want...

if you have decided to pocket some cash for a while, you also might consider "Orange" and "Hughes and Kettner" amplification.. in terms of versatility i am very fond of both the distortions and cleans that these brands play with.
a diezel herbert running stereo with a 60's marshall plexi on top of 4 marshall cabs

EDIT: oh yeah, i also forgot, get a fender deluxe reverb on top of that for your cleans
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
You know you really need to give a budget....we can kick around ridiculous ideas all day, but they aren't gonna get you anywhere.

For $1300ish.....Bogner Alchemist combo......Great cleans, thick rich crunch......I think they sound great. Only downside is these things NEED to be cranked up, as they sound brittle at low volumes
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
right in my opening post i said please forget budget right now it really doesnt matter give me your worst
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Schecter Omen 6
Line 6 Spider III
Dunlop Classic Wah
MXR Phase 90
ive tried oranges dont know why i just hated them not enough saturation in the gain zone i like a iono fuller gain hughes and kettner look pretty promising alex lifeson from rush one of my fav. guitarists uses one so i will check them out and his tone is heavenly ive seen them live 2 times thanks im gonna take a break from the mesa's they are always a big deal ive heard because they rarely sell them in the u.s. or something like that iono. Anyway yeah im looking for a great lead tone more than anything and 80's rock and van halen are my favorite for future "posters"
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Schecter Omen 6
Line 6 Spider III
Dunlop Classic Wah
MXR Phase 90
well, if you like VH so much get a 5150 III and then a Fender Twin Reverb or something for cleans.
yeah ive tried that amp it is to fake its like line 6's im looking for something more natural distorted and organic that responds well with dynamics and all any suggestions>?
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Schecter Omen 6
Line 6 Spider III
Dunlop Classic Wah
MXR Phase 90
ehhh i got bored so i watched this its a marshall avt

it actually sounds pretty good
even ss marshalls are hated on ug i dont think you should base your opinion on that but heres a review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIAH5ZFJUgM&feature=channel_page
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
yeah i really know my difference from solid states and tubes and i really really like tubes better sound and feel overall
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Schecter Omen 6
Line 6 Spider III
Dunlop Classic Wah
MXR Phase 90
ive been looking at marshalls and i like this one tell me what you guys think.......
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-Vintage-Modern-2266-Tube-Amp-Head?sku=480776
and this one..........
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-1987XL-Vintage-Series-50W-Tube-Head?sku=482716

however im hesitant about the 87 because some reviews say it doesnt get that great of gain and can hardly play past blues iono tell me what u think about both
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Schecter Omen 6
Line 6 Spider III
Dunlop Classic Wah
MXR Phase 90
The Vintage Modern has a bit of a unique sound, it runs a kt66 power amp section which makes the icepicky at low volumes. If you're the type that likes to crank up the gain on an amp, it's going to sound shrill and fizzy. An amp like that you really need to turn to 6-7 to get it to sound good.

And for the second amp...

I'd buy a Ceriatone 1987 before the Marshall reissue. It is 1) much cheaper and 2) superior in just about every way.

That being said, whoever thinks that a 1987 can hardly get past blues is an idiot and either has no idea how to use that amp or has zero ear for tone. But the 1987 is an amp that is very loud and gets very dirty. You would definitely have to have an atteunator because it doesn't have a master volume (ie. there is no way you can just turn up the gain knob because there isn't one)
yeah definitely 87 sounds like my style thanks man and haha im gonna sound like an idiot but whats an atteunator?
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Schecter Omen 6
Line 6 Spider III
Dunlop Classic Wah
MXR Phase 90