I was wondering why the telecaster looks like it has one pickup and the SG has like 3 pickups...
I like the telecaster more, but if it cannot do things like distortion/heavy metal and etc. it sucks?
Is the Telecaster able to do what an SG/LP can?
Tele has 2 pickups normally, as does the SG.

But the Tele usually has singles and the SG has humbuckers (doubles, essentially). This gives the SG a thicker sound and the Tele a thinner, more cutting sound.

They both have their uses.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Kurapica
Tele has 2 pickups normally, as does the SG.

But the Tele usually has singles and the SG has humbuckers (doubles, essentially). This gives the SG a thicker sound and the Tele a thinner, more cutting sound.

They both have their uses.

can they both do the same thing?
blues, metal, heavy metal, punk, rock. distortion??
i mean both can "do" anything. it will just sound different doing them.
Lp's and SG's have two humbuckers, while the tele has 2 single coils. That means the latter is much twangier (possibly made that word up) and not as fat. If you play a lot of metal you should really be using something with humbuckers/EMG's etc. That isn't to say the Tele isn't versatile, it just isn't a lamb of god guitar exactly. The tele is usually associated with blues, jazz, classic rock, indie etc. not to heavy stuff, but hey not saying you couldnt shred on a tele, it just isn't as practical I suppose
In theory they can, but the single coils won't have as much power as the humbuckers and will feedback way more. You should consider a humbucker-equipped telecaster, or fitting single-coil sized humbuckers such as Seymour Duncan Hotrails
ohai little sig.
They sure can (probably) if you get the models with 2 humbuckers.
Gear!:

Epiphone G400
Marshall JCM 800 4211 Combo
Karmer Forum III
Schecter Stiletto Deluxe 5
Holden Graphic something bass amp? (eh it's 300 watts!)
Some sort of 1x15 cab.
Teles lean more to a country twangy, bluesy timbre. As for really heavy metal you'll find the tele lacking a bit.
A tele with humbuckers will do metal just fine.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
A tele with single coils will get you REALLY far, gain wise. You'd be surprised. I have a vintage-spec tele, and it has a convincing metal tone when it's in drop D and my amp is cranked way up. You could always put a 'hot rails' humbucker in the tele, and it'll be even better for high gain applications, but if you don't play metal as your main style, then you'll be fine with stock pickups. As far as blues, punk, rock, etc. it's AMAZING. It has such a signature sound, especially in punk and the blues. Go try one out in a store.

But let me tell you something I heard once- you will either go through live loving your telecaster or wishing you owned one. You will ALWAYS want a tele if you have that feeling in your heart. Then again, the SG can be the same way. I have both, and I could never get rid of either. They're the best tag-team duo of electric guitars you could own.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
depends on what your definition of 'metal' is. if you're talking metalcore and thrash sounds, as well as C.O.B.-ish melodic death, then you're gonna want humbuckers. a tele with buckers will do just fine, it'll sound a lil different-but isn't that what making a tone for yourself IS? i'm sure some hot SC's in a tele will do up to metal pretty well, if you know how to do it.

high gain=/=metal. humbucker=/=metal. *non* Fender=/=metal.

these are just general misconceptions some people believe in before they go out and test a lotta gear out firsthand.

that's just the norm.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Just what are the upper limits of a Tele, anyways? Does it end at hard rock, or go further?
If you have the right setup, any guitar can do anything. A different set of magnets and wood just gives a different tone. Tele's are great guitars, your just going to need about as good a distortion pedal to push it to do metal. It can go to hard rock(case-and-point; Led Zeppelin I) straight into the amp though.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
telecasters are the most versatile of all guitars.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Yea a tele has a thin sound mostly associated with country, punk, and light rock. I don't own one but you could probly get a little bit of a rock/metal tone out of it.
Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM Greendayguitar, gdm09 or blues_rocker to join.

-Gibson LP Classic
-Fender American Standard Strat
-Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
-Peavey XXX w/Marshall Cab
Quote by stratdud39
if you get a tele with a humbucker in the bridge then they can pretty much do the same as a les paul or sg

Yes, but then why bother getting a Tele then?
Tele + pickup change + good metal amp =

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCK7oHgmv7M

Teles CAN be metal as fook.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
It depends on what amp you have. If you've got a good hi-gain amp, then yes.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Did Nolly film this?!

EDIT: Bulb can make anything sound good for djent.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

For that, I love you.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39